Pebble unveils steel version of color Time watch, announces 'smartstrap' accessory support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Pebble on Tuesday announced a steel version of its upcoming Pebble Time smartwatch, as well as a new expandable accessory port called "smartstrap" that could add functions such as GPS or heart rate monitoring.

The Pebble Time Steel will carry a $70 premium over the plastic version, selling for $250 for early adopters on Kickstarter. The device will sell for $299 when it becomes available at retail -- just $50 less than the starting price of an Apple Watch.

The new model features a larger battery offering up to 10 days of uptime. It's encased in CNC-finished 316L stainless steel, and comes with a premium leather and stainless steel strap.

The steel version of the Pebble Time is available in silver with a stone leather band, gunmetal black with a black leather band, and gold with a red leather band.

Existing Pebble Time backers can upgrade to the steel model by changing their pledge amount. The Pebble Time Steel is expected to start shipping in July.

The company also announced details on its new "smartstraps" for the upcoming Pebble Time series. This open platform will allow accessory makers to build extensions for the Pebble that add functionality not built into the base models, such as GPS or heart rate monitoring.

The smartstrap power contact is bi-directional, which means developers will be able to create accessories that either provide power to the Pebble, or receive power from the watch. The power draw to an accessory must not exceed 20 mA.

APIs to interact with smartstraps are not yet part of the developer preview, but the company said they will be publicly available several months after the Pebble Time begins shipping.

The Pebble Time was first revealed a week ago as the company behind it returned to its roots and initiated another Kickstarter campaign to crowdfund the project. It was another immediate smash success, blowing past its $500,000 goal almost instantly, and to date has raised more than $12 million from nearly 55,000 backers.

The second-generation smartwatch from Pebble adds a color e-ink display, seven days of battery life for the base plastic model, and voice input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I believe Pebble calls this an e-paper display, not an e-ink display. They're not the same thing.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Now we're getting somewhere. This is actually something I could get down with.

• Reply 3 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Now we're getting somewhere. This is actually something I could get down with.

They actually look pretty good.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    In the graphic, "3D Printed Adatper". What's an adatper? If that graphic was released by Pebble, one could only hope that QC on the watch is better than QC on the infographics.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    That looks like a VTech product compared to the AppleWatch.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Lmao... That looks like... An iwatch...
  • Reply 7 of 62
    twiselltwisell Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

That looks like a VTech product compared to the AppleWatch.

Agreed, I'm not sure something looking like a 1990's LCD can compete in any way with a gorgeous retina display...

• Reply 8 of 62
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    They actually look pretty good.
    Gee, I wonder why it is they look good... Pebble Steal
  • Reply 9 of 62
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Not iOS compatible...no thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    For most of these "smart" watches coming out, the watch looks nice. The interface, software, and hardware are in question. Why make a nice turd?
  • Reply 11 of 62
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    The idea of the smart strap interests me ...

When the Apple Watch was announced, an electronically-connected strap seemed to be a natural for accessories -- such as a strap containing a squishy battery ...
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

What are you talking about? Pebble watches are compatible with iOS.

• Reply 13 of 62
    mazda 3s wrote: »

But not to the level of AppleWatch, and they never will have that level of integration. Their functionality is extremely limited on iOS.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

But not to the level of AppleWatch, and they never will have that level of integration. Their functionality is extremely limited on iOS.

Of course it won't have the level of integration as the Apple Watch; that's a given. But to say that it is not compatible with iOS is completely false.

• Reply 15 of 62
    When I scrolled down to the photo of the watch with the red strap, I thought it was an Apple Watch!

If Pebble are happy to go this close to mimicking it, just think what Samsung will do!

Will Apple be able to prevent this? How do you defend such a simple shape or colours?
  • Reply 16 of 62
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

My mistake, I must have been thinking of something else.

• Reply 17 of 62
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    "Agreed, I'm not sure something looking like a 1990's LCD can compete in any way with a gorgeous retina display..."

well all the retina goodness doesn't do much when it has no power left to display.

All about trade offs right now with smart watches
  • Reply 18 of 62
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

except it is iOS compatible 

• Reply 19 of 62
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That red and faux gold version is a complete ?Watch Edition ripoff.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    davygeedavygee Posts: 65member

I've always liked the idea of Pebble watches, but very surprised by the pricepoint.  Only $50 cheaper than the Apple Watch.... surely this won't work in the longterm?????