Pebble unveils steel version of color Time watch, announces 'smartstrap' accessory support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

"Agreed, I'm not sure something looking like a 1990's LCD can compete in any way with a gorgeous retina display..."

well all the retina goodness doesn't do much when it has no power left to display.

All about trade offs right now with smart watches

Agreed, a smartwatch should give you quick, glancable information. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be staring lovingly at tiny smartwatch display. Now my smartphone or tablet, that's a different story. I'd gladly take an inferior e-paper display that provides useful information and allows for week-long battery life than a gorgeous display that will last a day.

• Reply 22 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That red and faux gold version is a complete ?Watch Edition ripoff.

certainly it looks like it takes some physical design cues from the ?Watch

no one is going to mistake the two side by side, besides.....

the GUI is totally different,

the user input controls and buttons are totally different

add the much longer battery life, the always on display, and waterproof (5 ATM) and no - you cannot say its a ripoff

being able to add smart straps  - well see how that goes but that's a clever idea, and it seems smartly implemented

• Reply 23 of 62
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post

"Agreed, I'm not sure something looking like a 1990's LCD can compete in any way with a gorgeous retina display..."

well all the retina goodness doesn't do much when it has no power left to display.

All about trade offs right now with smart watches

Agreed, a smartwatch should give you quick, glancable information. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be staring lovingly at tiny smartwatch display. Now my smartphone or tablet, that's a different story. I'd gladly take an inferior e-paper display that provides useful information and allows for week-long battery life than a gorgeous display that will last a day.

And if that were the only difference between the two then the ?Watch would probably fail. 

• Reply 24 of 62
    They're encroaching on ? Watch pricing territory which does not bode well for them, even with the Edition-looking version.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That red and faux gold version is a complete ?Watch Edition ripoff.

certainly it looks like it takes some physical design cues from the ?Watch

no one is going to mistake the two side by side, besides.....

the GUI is totally different,

the user input controls and buttons are totally different

add the much longer battery life, the always on display, and waterproof (5 ATM) and no - you cannot say its a ripoff

being able to add smart straps  - well see how that goes but that's a clever idea, and it seems smartly implemented

Apart from that most of the time, the Apple Watch will display a black screen, so, yes, they will look very similar. 

• Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Apart from that most of the time, the Apple Watch will display a black screen, so, yes, they will look very similar. 

except that most of the time the pebble will be displaying (an always on) color screen, compared to the black (off) screen of the ?Watch - so NO they won't look so similar

• Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:

Quote:

except that most of the time the pebble will be displaying (an always on) color screen, compared to the black (off) screen of the ?Watch - so NO they won't look so similar

Even that Pebble with the red strap looks as though the screen is off, so dark is it.

So yes, similar. :)

• Reply 28 of 62
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Even that Pebble with the red strap looks as though the screen is off, so dark is it.

You may want to consider visiting an optician.

• Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

no it doesn't look as though the screen is off.... besides its one of many many screens and unlikely to be the one always chosen by..

you are clutching at straws, physically the ?Watch and pebble look similar, because they are similar colors and a similar shape - but in normal wear, its not difficult to tear them apart - if it is for you, its reflection of your own limits - thats too bad

• Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You may want to consider visiting an optician.

I don't need to degrade my vision, thanks.

• Reply 31 of 62
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Considering how low contrast (especially sideways) and reflective the screen is, look at the picture with the red strap, I doubt you'd see much even if the display was on (unless its dark your looking at it straight on)...

• Reply 32 of 62
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Seems promising.

• Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Considering how low contrast (especially sideways) and reflective the screen is, look at the picture with the red strap, I doubt you'd see much even if the display was on (unless its dark your looking at it straight on)...

whatever - i don't have the viewing angles for the display - i know existing pebble has very wide angle.

i do know that the digital camera will not probably show the display as dimmer than the strap, due to very narrow wavelength of e-ink color.

Pebble is transflective display, so in very bright outdoor conditions it will be easier to read than display type used in ?Watch

I like what i have seen so far in both - i may probably buy both - they are not the same, but do offer similar useful functionality. I wish ?Watch had an always on display, and would operate 10 days between charge, then it would be no contest. 

• Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

whatever - i don't have the viewing angles for the display - i know existing pebble has very wide angle.

Pebble is transflective display, so in very bright outdoor conditions it will be easier to read than display type used in ?Watch

I like what i have seen so far in both - i may probably buy both - they are not the same, but do offer similar useful functionality. I wish ?Watch had an always on display, and would operate 10 days between charge, then it would be no contest. 

Agreed - the existing Pebble display has very high contrast and is extremely readable. It never looks off in any light.

• Reply 35 of 62
    mazda 3s wrote: »

For people, like me, who are going to being wearing these instead of their Tag's or Rolex's a pretty display is a must. When I go to look at the time, I want to be reminded why I stopped wearing those other gorgeous watches. It's not just about functionality, it's also about style. At least that's the approach Apple took.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    For people, like me, who are going to being wearing these instead of their Tag's or Rolex's a pretty display is a must. When I go to look at the time, I want to be reminded why I stopped wearing those other gorgeous watches. It's not just about functionality, it's also about style. At least that's the approach Apple took.

I can appreciate this viewpoint.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

But not to the level of AppleWatch, and they never will have that level of integration. Their functionality is extremely limited on iOS.

Conversely, Apple Watch is not compatible with Android, so better or easier resell of Pebble when you upgrade?

• Reply 38 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Just imagine Pebble or Ssmsung trying to charge up to $20,000 for a watch?
  • Reply 39 of 62
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    The Pebble Steel Gold with the red band, now where have I seen that design before... Oh yeah, that's right, the ?WATCH EDITION.

Everywhere I look, almost every other tech manufacturer these days bases (or rips off) their design from Apple, it's disgusting. No one seems to know how to design anything new or unique. It seems when a new device is being conceived, the first two questions that seem to pop up with the designers is "Does Apple do anything similar?" and "Can we use their design language?".

Pathetic...
  • Reply 40 of 62
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

It superficially looks like the Apple Watch, no doubt because that's what they were going for in its design.  I have a feeling we'll be seeing more such copies soon enough.  Cue Samsung...

The difference, as always, resides in the details.  The traditional way in which the strap attaches versus the more seamless integration of strap and watch body that Apple designed.  The way the strap buckles, also very tranditional [read, not very innovative].  And then those buttons.  Four in total, three on one side and one on the other.  That's where the design and build aesthetics really begin to fall apart.  People who have an eye for such things, which includes many men and pretty much every woman on the planet, will take note and be attracted to the Apple Watch.  And then there's the functionality.  I'm thinking it's not really a contest with regard to that aspect...