Costly supercar maker Koenigsegg joins list of Apple CarPlay backers

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Koenigsegg, a Swedish supercar maker which sells some of the most expensive vehicles on Earth, has joined the list of auto manufacturers offering support for Apple's CarPlay standard via the Regera, a new car unveiled today at the Geneva Motor Show in Switzerland.

The vehicle is Koenigsegg's first hybrid. While powered primarily by 5-litre V8 gas engine rated at 1,085 break horsepower, three electric motors provide an additional 697 bhp, giving the car a total horsepower rating of 1,782 bhp. This is said to make it the most powerful production car on the planet, capable of going from 0 to 62 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds and from 0 to 250 mph in less than 20 seconds.

The company is planning to build just 80 units over the next five to six years, charging a base cost of $1.89 million per car.

CarPlay support is mentioned on Koenigsegg's website, and can also be seen in interior photos of the Regera. Notably the vehicle doesn't appear to have support for Android Auto, Google's competing auto platform.

To date CarPlay has achieved relatively little traction, appearing in few production vehicles. One of the standard's most crucial backers, Toyota, recently stated that it's planning to stick to a proprietary dashboard interface for the foreseeable future. Volkswagen is only planning to ship vehicles with CarPlay later this year, and Ford will make it an option for every US vehicle by the end of 2016. Both VW and Ford will be supporting Android Auto as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    In other news, cheap supercar maker Lada is not going to support anything anytime soon.

Seriously, what's a "costly supercar", compare to an "average" or "cheap" supercar?
    I'd hate to roam around in a cheap super car and have all my fellow super billionaires make fun of me :p
  • Reply 2 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Adds to the Apple Play cachet, but seriously... VW, Toyota...what's up, fools?
  • Reply 3 of 38
    It makes me sick to my stomach to spend $50k for a vehicle...1.89M??? Holy F&*CK. I will state that I do not like the way Apple takes some initiatives (AppleTV, CarPlay) and really doesn't feel like they put 100% behind it. They seem to wait until the market tells them they really need it before going full tilt...I am not blaming them but as a consumer it is annoying as hell.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Car manufacturers are as slow as molasses when it comes to technology, it's freaking annoying. I bet there is so much to be desired in the car experience that Apple believes it's a no brainer to enter it.

Edit: spelling
  • Reply 5 of 38

wow at how bad that headline is.

• Reply 6 of 38
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Seriously, what's a "costly supercar", compare to an "average" or "cheap" supercar?

Starting price of $200k v $2 million.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member

A cheap supercar is a 7th-gen Chevrolet Corvette Z06 with the Z07 track package:  About $100,000, supercar performance.

The 650hp and 650lb-ft of Torque is a performance bargain.

A supercar is a Ferarri or Lambo:  $250,000 to $400,000 ish (think 458 Speciale for Ferarri, or Aventador for Lambo).

Christian von Keonigsegg calls his cars "HyperCars" in his videos:  Think Pagani & Koenigsegg.  $Millions.

I've been a car fan for a long time (while driving a pickup, a minivan, a nissan versa, and now a subaru), and have watched these cars just get better and better.

As I age (mid-40s) though, I find myself wondering about cars that cost $100Ks (Rolls Royce, $400ks), when so many people barely survive.

I'm no 99%er and don't feel at all we should lynch the Rich, but there is something obscene about the mega-million cars and yachts.  For some reason, mansions and estates and property don't really bother me, but the "toys" do.....a little (even while I love reading about them).

• Reply 8 of 38
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    First is not a production car, to be a production car they have to produce 200 cars, since they are only producing 80 that short of the requirements.

For those complaining about how long it take car companies to put technology in a car do not realize most of these cars have been in design for 3 to 5 yrs and all the testing they have to go through to get it approve to be licensed on the road. Once they have it approved they do not change much so they can recover all the R&D that went into the car.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Car manufacturers are as slow as molasses when it comes to technology, it's freaking annoying. I bet there is so much to be desired in the car experience that Apple believes it's a no brainer to enter it.

There's a very good reason. Your car has to remain in working state for 20+ years, and withstand direct sunlight, rain and snow, and temperatures from -20 to 140 F. It has to remain intact in a severe crash without spraying shrapnel or catching on fire. You might think a radio isn't a big deal, but if it freezes and plays static at full volume, it can cause a crash, causing a safety recall. None of Apple's products can withstand any part of that.

• Reply 10 of 38
    I'm not anti-rich, either. But I do think if you drive a car that gets less than 12 MPG...you're a tool. :)
  • Reply 11 of 38
    >> Meh. <<
  • Reply 12 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

So when it needs an oil change do you air lift it back to Sweden? 

• Reply 13 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

There is always this handy accessory if you want to take it camping.

• Reply 14 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

While powered primarily by 5-litre V8 gas engine rated at 1,085 break horsepower, three electric motors provide an additional 697 bhp, giving the car a total horsepower rating of 1,782 bhp. This is said to make it the most powerful production car on the planet, capable of going from 0 to 62 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds and from 0 to 250 mph in less than 20 seconds.

I wouldn't break the rules and nitpick on AI's spelling, but I feel we must put the brakes on a recent trend in misspelling the slowing and stopping devices on vehicles. The word is brake!

"Brake horsepower" is that power that actually makes it to the wheels via the transmission, differential etc., which cost power through friction. It's measured by a brake dynamometer, thus the term.

I've noticed other posters misspelling the word in the context of "regenerative braking" when writing about electric cars. More evidence that people need to get away from the damn computer screen and get their hands dirty doing some real physical, mechanical work. /end geezer rant
  • Reply 15 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Damn, doesn't that always happen? I bought mine too soon.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

In other news, cheap supercar maker Lada is not going to support anything anytime soon.

I'd hate to roam around in a cheap super car and have all my fellow super billionaires make fun of me image

I would call a Corvette a cheap supercar.  Or rather, a relatively inexpensive supercar.  If not for GM's interiors, I'd say a Corvette is a world-class supercar, of reasonable price.

• Reply 17 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I'd hate to roam around in a cheap super car and have all my fellow super billionaires make fun of me :p

There are now 'ultra cars' which are much more expensive than super cars.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

A cheap supercar is a 7th-gen Chevrolet Corvette Z06 with the Z07 track package:  About $100,000, supercar performance.

The 650hp and 650lb-ft of Torque is a performance bargain.

A supercar is a Ferarri or Lambo:  $250,000 to $400,000 ish (think 458 Speciale for Ferarri, or Aventador for Lambo).

Christian von Keonigsegg calls his cars "HyperCars" in his videos:  Think Pagani & Koenigsegg.  $Millions.

I've been a car fan for a long time (while driving a pickup, a minivan, a nissan versa, and now a subaru), and have watched these cars just get better and better.

As I age (mid-40s) though, I find myself wondering about cars that cost $100Ks (Rolls Royce, $400ks), when so many people barely survive.

I'm no 99%er and don't feel at all we should lynch the Rich, but there is something obscene about the mega-million cars and yachts.  For some reason, mansions and estates and property don't really bother me, but the "toys" do.....a little (even while I love reading about them).

Well, the way I look at it is, the superrich are putting their money back into the economy by purchasing these expensive toys.  The toys themselves you can look at as merely another configuration of atoms.  Why care that someone paid a significantly higher price for the pile of atoms in their garage versus what I paid for my 2007 Acura?  Some rich dude basically paid some other people to assemble those atoms and he paid a lot of money, all of which then makes its way down into the economy.  It'd be a worse scenario if the rich drove Toyotas and kept their money in a vault, piling up with little returning to productive circulation.  Let them spend!

• Reply 19 of 38
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I don't know about anyone else (except maybe for [@]mstone[/@], based on his purchase history) but I prefer a quality ride over adding more speed which I'll never be able to safely or legally achieve.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else (except maybe for [@]mstone[/@], based on his purchase history) but I prefer a quality ride over adding more speed which I'll never be able to safely or legally achieve.

Hey, not all of us look like Brad Pitt, alright. We need a car with a crappy ride to get the hot chicks, so speak only for yourself. :lol: