Moto sez: no G5 in January

yowyow
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Interesting article. But it does NOT say "Moto says no G5 in January." All it said was the G4 still has time left in it, and they don't pre-announce Apple products.

Couple of questions:

The G4 maxes out around 1Ghz? That's not a good sign for Apollo, is it?

The G5 has a .10 process, rapid I/O, 64-bit and 32-bit backward compatibility. That looks like it's not going to simply be Apollo renamed G5.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    If Apollo's celing is 1Ghz it probably will be for iMac and PowerBook and G5 for PowerMac.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    yowyow Posts: 5member
    Well they're not specific. But they sure seem to be trying hard to downplay expectations. Reading between the lines, I'd say the G4 cracks the ghz barrier (just barely) in January.

Can anyone confirm whether Moto has successfully started manufacturing on the .1 micron process? I didn't think they had, but I could be very wrong. IMHO, that's the most telling part of the whole interview, making me think that the G5 won't be here until later in 2002...
  • Reply 4 of 53
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    G4s will move into iMacs
  • Reply 5 of 53
    I will buy a 1Ghz G4 iMac as long as it sports higher than 1024x768 rez...
  • Reply 6 of 53
    yowyow Posts: 5member
    1ghz iMac G4 in January? You must be shitting me! Dream on, hoss.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    mspmsp Posts: 40member
    [quote]Originally posted by Yow:

<strong>

Can anyone confirm whether Moto has successfully started manufacturing on the .1 micron process? </strong><hr></blockquote>

AFAIK, they aren't remotely close. They just cracked 0.13.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: msp ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 53
    I thought G5 was .13?
  • Reply 9 of 53
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>I thought G5 was .13?</strong><hr></blockquote>IIRC, there was some naming convention that Moto calls .13 what would usually be called .15, so maybe by .10 they really mean .13.

I don't remember the details, though. Help someone?
  • Reply 10 of 53
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I wonder if he's still using the Motorola way of measuring the process, which is different (and smaller) than everyone else's? I thought they'd given up on that, but maybe not.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Just read the article. Motorola goes to great lengths to neither confirm nor deny the rumors. My guess is that the G5 PowerMacs will not be ready until late February or early March at the earliest and Apple is still deciding what to do. Should they pre-announce the G5 at MWSF or introduce one last round of G4 PowerMacs first?

apple_otaku
  • Reply 12 of 53
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    If you saw "All The President's Men", the standard comment they got from Nixon's cronies was what they referred to as "the non-denial denial". Meaning, a comment that sounded like a denial, but when you analyzed what was actually said, it turned out not to be.

This "denial" from Moto is really a "non-denial". They COULD have flat-out said, "No G5 in the near future." What they actually said was, "We don't want to spoil any of Apple's product announcements," which implies (to me anyway) that there actually is a product to be announced soon by Apple. It may not be a G5 Mac, but there appears to be something afoot. MWSF should be rather intersting, in any event.

Tom Moyer
  • Reply 13 of 53
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Maybe I read a different article but that sounded really good to me. They talked positively about the G5 and then said 'we can't comment on how Apple will apply this technology" or "we can't discuss their product releases".

When they said the G4 had potential then followed up with Sisco likes the chip. Nothing about or eluding to Apple using the chip in Jan. The speed increase would only be 67mhz?

I think it's a good sign
  • Reply 14 of 53
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've been TELLING you snapperheads this for weeks now.

But does anyone listen to me? Nooooooo...

• Reply 15 of 53
    Telling us what? That there will be a G5 in January or won't be? If the G4 tops out at only 1Ghz as Motorola suggested then it would be about time for it to move into the iMac line and the G5 to take over the PowerMac line.

apple_otaku
  • Reply 16 of 53
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've simply been saying to pull back the reins a bit on these G5 fever dreams.

Some of you guys are going to be very sad and disappointed come MWSF.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    After reading the article I actually feel that there is an even better chance of seeing the G5 in January. I'm still not counting on it but there is hope...

apple_otaku
  • Reply 18 of 53
    There's not actually a denial in the article.

"I don't want to fan the flames ..." != no G5

The only strange thing is that Mot says

-Lots of headroom on the G4

-G4 will max to 1GHz.

One of these statements is not true, in my estimation.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    ac2cac2c Posts: 60member
    There might be an announcement of the G5 in January and there might even be a demo of a G5 OS X 2.0 in January, but I wouldn't look for a release until mid year. It will take at least that long to proof the G5, to tweak the OS and to ramp up the approved G5s for production. Considering that a great many other changes will be in store such as faster bus speeds and memory changes June seems a more realistic date for shipping. As a matter of fact the G5 may be introduced as a server prior to a top end consumer solution to start with.

What you can look forward to in January is some form of updated iMac with a top end G3 in the above GHZ range and a dual G4 at a GHZ with a faster bus speed. Just my opionion and it is worth about as much as everyone elses conjectures. :cool:
  • Reply 20 of 53
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by ac2c:

<strong>There might be an announcement of the G5 in January and there might even be a demo of a G5 OS X 2.0 in January, but I wouldn't look for a release until mid year. It will take at least that long to proof the G5, to tweak the OS and to ramp up the approved G5s for production. Considering that a great many other changes will be in store such as faster bus speeds and memory changes June seems a more realistic date for shipping. As a matter of fact the G5 may be introduced as a server prior to a top end consumer solution to start with.

What you can look forward to in January is some form of updated iMac with a top end G3 in the above GHZ range and a dual G4 at a GHZ with a faster bus speed. Just my opionion and it is worth about as much as everyone elses conjectures. :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

The arguement to that is why anounce a G5 if you hope to sell G4s? Why would anyone buy a G4 when they just showed you the awesome G5 which is coming very soon? Either the G5 shows or it doesn't. I don't seem Apple announcing if it isn't ready yet.