AT&T to ship LTE-enabled Modio iPad mini case on March 20

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2015
AT&T has announced that its Modio case for the iPad mini, which adds LTE support to otherwise Wi-Fi-only models, will ship on March 20 and cost $50 with a two-year data plan.

Buyers can also pick it up on an installment plan, costing $10 per month for 20 months; under any circumstance, adding it to a new or existing Mobile Share Value plan is $10 per month.

The case can also be bought outright for $200. That is, however, $70 more than the difference between Wi-Fi- and cellular versions of the iPad mini 3.

The Modio sports a folio design, and in addition to enabling LTE support, includes a microSD slot accepting cards up to 32GB in size. A built-in 4,600 mAh battery should provide up to 16 hours of connectivity.

All three generations of the Mini are supported. A separate case for the iPad Air and Air 2 -- first teased during January's Consumer Electronics Show -- is promised "in the coming months."

To help manage the Modio's connection, AT&T has already released a free iOS app. The title tracks estimated data usage, triggering push notifications if a user approaches their data cap, and can additionally manage and stream content stored on microSD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20

This is actually not a bad idea. I can't imagine Apple is happy with this, because I imagine they have a good margin on LTE models.

• Reply 2 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

How does it connect? Bluetooth, WiFi? If the iPad doesn't know it is on cellular it may download  huge app and OS updates automatically.

How does the sd slot work? How do you access it to store things?

• Reply 3 of 20
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

This is actually not a bad idea. I can't imagine Apple is happy with this, because I imagine they have a good margin on LTE models.

You did read the part that this (plus the WiFi iPad mini) is $70 MORE than the LTE enabled mini is out door?

• Reply 4 of 20
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    chadbag wrote: »

You did read the part that this (plus the WiFi iPad mini) is $70 MORE than the LTE enabled mini is out door?

I wonder if the battery mostly accounts for the differential.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    tommy0gunstommy0guns Posts: 119member
    I use my phone as a hotspot for my iPad and laptop. What does this thing bring to the table?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Cute concept for those that want that sort of flexibility in their mobility.

• Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How does it connect? Bluetooth, WiFi? If the iPad doesn't know it is on cellular it may download  huge app and OS updates automatically.

On the AT%T page they use the term "pair", which I associate with BT.

• Reply 8 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:

On the AT%T page they use the term "pair", which I associate with BT.

Sounds mysterious. How are the other apps going to know you have an internet connection through BT? I guess it just works.

• Reply 9 of 20
    Unless you *really* want the form factor of a case for your iPad, wouldn't you be better served with a MiFi or one the related incarnations? I had one that was the size of a couple credit cards stacked together and it delivered wifi to a bunch of devices...
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Sounds mysterious. How are the other apps going to know you have an internet connection through BT? I guess it just works.

Or the page copy editor got sloppy. Wouldn't be the first time. Not a lot of bandwidth through BT compared to WiFi...

"A built-in 4,600 mAh battery should provide up to 16 hours of connectivity."

Hmmm. it's got a battery pack so why wouldn't they use the Lightening port? They don't show that side of the device that I've seen. Would all that power really be just to service the case?

• Reply 11 of 20
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy0guns View Post

I use my phone as a hotspot for my iPad and laptop. What does this thing bring to the table?

I gave up doing that after about 5 minutes as it makes no sense to kill the iPhone battery so that the iPad can have LTE.

I just buy LTE iPads now.

• Reply 12 of 20
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Neat idea, stupid product.

Just buy LTE iPads. Even if you have buyers remorse after purchasing a WiFi model...just sell it/trade in for an LTE model.

• Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Quote:

I gave up doing that after about 5 minutes as it makes no sense to kill the iPhone battery so that the iPad can have LTE.

I used to do that, but wifi is so prevalent now, that I bought the wifi-only iPad Air 2. 

• Reply 14 of 20
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Quote:

I agree. Considering that you have to pay $10 extra/month on your mobile share plan. I though do believe that AT&T charges or the Hotspot service.

• Reply 15 of 20
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Your phone's battery doesn't have a 16 hour battery life; and as a WiFi hotspot, it is even shorter.

The Modio sports a folio design, and in addition to enabling LTE support, includes a microSD slot accepting cards up to 32GB in size. A built-in 4,600 mAh battery should provide up to 16 hours of connectivity.

• Reply 16 of 20
    tommy0gunstommy0guns Posts: 119member
    inteliusq wrote: »
    Your phone's battery doesn't have a 16 hour battery life; and as a WiFi hotspot, it is even shorter.

I'm thinking that my $16 battery backup takes care of that. Besides, it's very rare that I can't find wifi AND a power outlet.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    No real savings, extra bulk, tied to a carrier, and still no GPS.
    Bargain...
    ...not.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SimbaLion View Post

Unless you *really* want the form factor of a case for your iPad, wouldn't you be better served with a MiFi or one the related incarnations? I had one that was the size of a couple credit cards stacked together and it delivered wifi to a bunch of devices...

I pair my iPad with my iphone all the time over BT.  As you say, it just works.  BT provides the network connection.

• Reply 19 of 20
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I save $120 per year since it is $10/month to add it to the plan.  I miss out on GPS though.

• Reply 20 of 20
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

I'm thinking that my $16 battery backup takes care of that. Besides, it's very rare that I can't find wifi AND a power outlet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

No real savings, extra bulk, tied to a carrier, and still no GPS.

Bargain...

...not.

Maybe if it was a keyboard too for that price.... ...but naww.