Apple to move away from security contractors, hire guards as full-time employees

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

For those of us who do okay, I don't think we realize how many people in the U.S. are living right on the edge.

This is so sadly true.

• Reply 22 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Next Apple should hire their own bus drivers and buy their own hydrogen powered buses.

• Reply 23 of 37
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google also employs their own security staff rather than outsourcing, having made the change last year. So Apple copying Google again I see. /s

We know you love Google. You don't have to tell us what they've been up to in every one (at least, it seems like every one) of your posts.

• Reply 24 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Google also employs their own security staff rather than outsourcing, having made the change last year. So Apple copying Google again I see. /s

:D

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/10/03/google-to-make-security-guards-as-employees-rather-than-contractors/

What's your Google body guard called? ;)

• Reply 25 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    We know you love Google. You don't have to tell us what they've been up to in every one (at least, it seems like every one) of your posts.

Of course he does, or he wouldn't get paid! :D
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple doesn't do unions.

No. Just unicorns.

• Reply 27 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What are you talking about?  Contractors are actually more preferred than employees when it comes to "firing" them.  Firing an employee involves way more red tape.

but you won't get the damn strike initiated by stupid union. Apple can tell those occupied protesters: go fck yourself.

• Reply 28 of 37
    joncojonco Posts: 25member

Obviously some of you have never been in a union. I owe my pension and health care to being a union member. Worth every penny of the .5% of the raise they got us. Not all unions are corrupt. 

• Reply 29 of 37
    joncojonco Posts: 25member

And I don't think the security guards were union. As for the drivers, why shouldn't they ask for more money? They are more actively a part of the business than shareholders are. 

• Reply 30 of 37
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    So now they're poaching security guards? :lol:
  • Reply 31 of 37
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pfisher wrote: »

Corporations seem to grapple with core competencies. Do you want your IT in-house or outsourced? Advantages to either. Security guards? I'd prefer company-hired guards, but whatever.

I agree. They'll have much more interest in protecting the company they work directly for.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So now they're poaching security guards? :lol:

They should stick to poaching eggs. ????
  • Reply 33 of 37
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Good!

Now the money will go to hard working Americans and not some Big Wig POS Labor union boss

Union dues are a fraction of what a contractor charges over and above employees' salaries.

The reality is Apple could pay these security people a lot more than they were making and still pay less than they were paying to an outside contractor.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Union dues are a fraction of what a contractor charges over and above employees' salaries.

The reality is Apple could pay these security people a lot more than they were making and still pay less than they were paying to an outside contractor.

Apple paying even a penny more than the going rates should be discouraged. They should continue to negotiate hard with all vendors and suppliers.

• Reply 35 of 37
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Contractors don't pay union dues. Union members pay there own dues.

• Reply 36 of 37
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Contractor charges will contain all of the additional costs of an employee over and above the salary.  Apple may end up paying more, since security contracting firms will have certain efficiencies available to them.

But nevertheless, a good thing.  Direct employment is almost always better for lower-wage employees than contracting, and what is good for the employees is good for Apple.