Credit unions lead new round of 18 Apple Pay additions

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Apple continues to forge forward in expanding card support for its fledgling Apple Pay service and on Tuesday added 18 new credit unions and banks to the list of participating issuers.

The latest round of Apple Pay additions, reflected in a Support Pages document updated today, appears to concentrate on support for credit unions, which accounted for 16 of the 18 newly listed institutions. Only two regional banks -- Bank of Hawaii and North Shore Bank -- joined the list of participating issuers.

Apple Pay's new additions include Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union, American Airlines Credit Union, Bank of Hawaii, Baxter Credit Union, CFE Federal Credit Union, Commonwealth Credit Union, Foothill Credit Union, Founders Federal Credit Union, IBM Southeast Employees' Federal Credit Union, Lister Hill Credit Union, North Shore Bank, PenFed Credit Union, Royal Credit Union, Schools First Federal Credit Union, Spokane Teachers Federal Credit Union, Telhio Credit Union, University First Federal Credit Union, West Community Credit Union.

Two weeks ago, Apple announced credit and debit card support for 20 new financial institutions, including Morgan Stanley, which offers credit cards to customers through American Express. Shortly after the update, North Shore Bank issued a press release noting that it, too, gained Apple Pay compatibility.

As of today, Apple Pay boasts support for over 100 banks and credit unions, while roughly 700 more institutions wait in the wings for authorization.

It appears that Apple's early success in the mobile payments sector has stoked competition from smartphone rivals. On Sunday, Samsung introduced its own solution dubbed Samsung Pay, while Google yesterday revealed a mobile payments API called Android Pay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Doomed. 

• Reply 2 of 24

My CU just started offering Apple Pay, but it does not work with their Visa debit cards.

It's like it gets stuck in a loop of asking for my pin...

When I use the contact button in Passbook, my message comes back undeliverable.

Time to go to the bank.

:(

• Reply 3 of 24
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Am I the only one who, upon seeing that AI image, proceeded to hold their iPhone just like the model in the photo?
  • Reply 4 of 24

Every time I see an article like this, I check, and I'm disappointed.

I'd run to Walgreens the first moment I could if they turned it on.

• Reply 5 of 24
    I'm actually paying at McDonald's right now… This has been a lifesaver several times, once when I was at Reasor's, once when I was at Home Depot
  • Reply 6 of 24
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Still no Etrade, it would be nice so I can get a quick 100 for a hooker
  • Reply 7 of 24
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    pistis wrote: »
    Funny. Now you don't have to swipe your card in her butt anymore. Just get close to it with your phone and authenticate Touch ID. Lol.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pistis View Post

$100 seriously? 

• Reply 9 of 24
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

If my credit union won't be in the list within 6 months, I'll dump it.

• Reply 10 of 24
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Wow, 18 more additions! Sensational news!

I think AI should also post a weekly update of;

• how many people have actually used it

• how many cards per person

• total transactions in the week

• total transactions since startup

• specific iPhone/iPad usage

• ApplePay using iWatch when it is released

• then can further break this down to iPhone/iPad

/S

really?

• Reply 11 of 24
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member

I'm glad Apple continues to line up banks.  But I'd like to see more retailers (yes, I know that in a lot of ways, that's a bit out of Apple's hands).

I routinely use ApplePay at Walgreens and Whole Foods (lunch hot-bar).  And I've used it a Macys, Jewel, and few other places...

• Reply 12 of 24
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease come to Australia. Please.

• Reply 13 of 24
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    pujones1 wrote: »
    Funny. Now you don't have to swipe your card in her butt anymore. Just get close to it with your phone and authenticate Touch ID. Lol.

Brings a whole new meaning to anonymous sex !
  • Reply 14 of 24
    _rick_v_ wrote: »
    I'm glad Apple continues to line up banks.  But I'd like to see more retailers (yes, I know that in a lot of ways, that's a bit out of Apple's hands).

I routinely use ApplePay at Walgreens and Whole Foods (lunch hot-bar).  And I've used it a Macys, Jewel, and few other places...

I have used mine at whole foods , chevron, Walgreens.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I'm actually paying at McDonald's right now… This has been a lifesaver several times, once when I was at Reasor's, once when I was at Home Depot

Are you sure I was under the impression eating at Macdonalds was a death sentence
  • Reply 16 of 24
    mstone wrote: »
    $100 seriously? 

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2UvQQaz4SIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I think he must be one of those cheap and nasty android owners?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Pep Boys takes Apple Pay now. Used it today
  • Reply 18 of 24
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    chris_ca:

According to JP Morgan Chase, there are a million active users of Apple Pay at present in the US. While it may not sound like much, that's allegedly more than any other mobile payment system. I don't recall the source, but ISTR an article that suggested that those who use it, use it about 6-7 times a week, and go out of their way to patronize businesses that support it.

Assuming that's true, that's 6-7 million transactions a week. Right now.

Currently (and this is just my own math here, feel free to denigrate it) I make out that Apple has covered about 80 percent of the card issuers. All the big players are on board, though not every card is supported yet. There's not much more to do before every substantive financial institution in the US supports Apple Pay on some level, and then there's the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Australia, and China allegedly next in line, supposedly in April.

Of course, not every iPhone 6 user is obligated to use Apple Pay, so they'll never get 100 percent, but seems to me they're doing pretty okay so far. As for your sarcasm, those 18 institutions adding the support mean a lot -- if you're a customer of one of those institutions, which certainly makes it newsworthy for them. Try getting out of your little bubble universe there every once in a while, kid.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm View Post

chris_ca:

As for your sarcasm, those 18 institutions adding the support mean a lot -- if you're a customer of one of those institutions, which certainly makes it newsworthy for them. Try getting out of your little bubble universe there every once in a while, kid.

Lighten up Francis...

My post was made because AI does an article whenever there is even one new user of ApplePay.

• Reply 20 of 24
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm View Post

chris_ca:

Try getting out of your little bubble universe there every once in a while, kid.

He did put a /s at the end so maybe you might want to walk back those comments a bit.