Apple reclaims top spot in movie product placement rankings

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Apple has once again, after a three-year gap, taken the Overall Product Placement title in Brandchannel's Brandcameo Product Placement Awards, highlighting the companies inserted most often into Hollywood movies.

According to Brandchannel, Apple products appeared in nine out of 35 movies that topped US weekend box office in 2014, beating out Sony and Coca-Cola by a single film. References ranged in scale from a villain mentioning the iPod shuffle in The Lego Movie to an extended Apple Store scene in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Some other blockbusters with Apple products included Ride Along, The Fault in Our Stars, and Gone Girl. Prior to this year's victory, Apple previously claimed the award in 2009, 2010, and 2011.

Apple products also made their way into a number of movies below the first-place threshold as well, including Birdman, Sex Tape, Tusk, and Sabotage.

Product placement in films, television and other media can be controversial. While such placement helps to pay for movies that cost tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars, critics note that it sometimes distracts from the plot or even steers it in a different direction.

Brandchannel has in fact given its latest Worst Product Placement award to Apple's Beats brand for Transformers: Age of Extinction. In one scene, a character able to produce virtually anything with his mind specifically chooses to create a Beats Pill speaker.

Age of Extinction is in fact cited as having the most product placements of any 2014 blockbuster, numbering 55 brands in all. Runners up included Gone Girl (48), Ride Along (37), and 22 Jump Street (32).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17

Don't worry, Samdung has practically financed all of Avengers 2. The camera even pauses on a Samscum store at points.

• Reply 2 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Don't worry, Samdung has practically financed all of Avengers 2. The camera even pauses on a Samscum store at points.

The actual premise of Captain America 3: Civil War is a war between the superheroes that use Apple and the ones that use Samsung.

• Reply 3 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I loved that scene in the Apple Store...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The actual premise of Captain America 3: Civil War is a war between the superheroes that use Apple and the ones that use Samsung.

The title is actually Captain America 3: Lollipop Solider.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Why is this news?   Since you have to pay to have products placed, it's basically an advertisement.   Would there be a post if Apple was the #1 advertiser?

Back in the days when film companies requested to use products in films, I used to get calls from set designers looking for certain products I was involved with.   But after going completely out of my way to get them what they wanted (like rush shipping several hundred units from Europe to the U.S. or even manufacturing more packaging in one case) and then going to see the film and the product wasn't used, after this happened several times, I stopped responding to such requests.     

The more interesting case is where Apple products are used, but the Apple logo is covered up.   In those cases, I suspect that Apple did not pay for product placement and the set designers simply wanted to use Apple products because of their design.   

• Reply 6 of 17
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Why is this news?   Since you have to pay to have products placed, it's basically an advertisement.   Would there be a post if Apple was the #1 advertiser?

Back in the days when film companies requested to use products in films, I used to get calls from set designers looking for certain products I was involved with.   But after going completely out of my way to get them what they wanted (like rush shipping several hundred units from Europe to the U.S. or even manufacturing more packaging in one case) and then going to see the film and the product wasn't used, after this happened several times, I stopped responding to such requests.     

The more interesting case is where Apple products are used, but the Apple logo is covered up.   In those cases, I suspect that Apple did not pay for product placement and the set designers simply wanted to use Apple products because of their design.   

As I understand it Apple doesn't usually pay to get placement, but they will provide hardware.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    zoetmb wrote: »

Does Apple need to do that? Did they pay for last week's episode of Modern Family which was basically a 30 minute ad for Apple's Mac, iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    As I understand it Apple doesn't usually pay to get placement, but they will provide hardware.
    AFAIK that's true. While Apple doesn't write checks for product placement they do actively seek out opportunities to "donate" numbers of iPads, iPhones, MacBooks or other Apple products in return for on-screen time. According to Schiller testimony in the Samsung trial they have employees whose job it is to work with TV shows and movie productions to make it happen. Dang smart move IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    And without spending a penny!!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

The title is actually Captain America 3: Lollipop Solider.

Special appearance by Iron Munchkin!

• Reply 11 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Does Apple need to do that? Did they pay for last week's episode of Modern Family which was basically a 30 minute ad for Apple's Mac, iPhone and iPad.

I don't watch that series, but I did happen to catch that episode, solely because it was centered around Apple products. It wasn't awkward, unrealistic and cringeworthy like when Microsoft and others pays for and forces their products to be used in certain series. The Modern Family episode was the idea of the producers I believe. Apple doesn't need to force anybody to use their products in movies or TV series.

I bet that Apple will sell a few extra products just based on the many millions of people who saw how smoothly all of the Apple products integrate with each other. No other eco-system even comes close. Even though it wasn't technically an ad, and Apple didn't pay for it with cash, I agree that it was good advertising for Apple.

The series is called "Modern Family" after all. 

To see an entire family using Android products, look out for a brand new series starting next week on NBC, called "Homeless Family".

• Reply 12 of 17
    Shame on you, Apple¡ In the real world, nobody uses Apple products¡¡¡
  • Reply 13 of 17
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    I can't wat to see the ranking next year once the apple watch is on the market. When you see how it is already in every fashion magazine
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Wait! Samscum has a store??!!  Who knew!!

• Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Trust me. Apple is really bummed that they didn't get any product placement credit on this show...

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 70

• Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And speaking of Civil War, it was a pretty bad storyline. The ending was so lame, with one protagonist just deciding to give up. It was out of the blue and completely killed a tale that was already on life-support.

Marvel - where our heroes are always fighting each other.

• Reply 17 of 17

And speaking of Civil War, it was a pretty bad storyline. The ending was so lame, with one protagonist just deciding to give up. It was out of the blue and completely killed a tale that was already on life-support.

Marvel - where our heroes are always fighting each other.

I haven't picked up any comics for more than a decade and I'm really looking forward to the next Cap movie.