Apple reportedly pushes production of 'iPad Pro' to September due to low display yields

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2015
A report on Wednesday claims Apple has pushed back plans to start mass production of a 12.9-inch iPad model due to poor display yields, and will move forward with a revised ramp up cycle set to start in September.

iPad Air

According to Bloomberg, sources claim Apple originally planned to kick off production in the first quarter of 2015, but supplies of the larger 12.9-inch panels have forced a delay to September. Assuming the rumored assembly timeline, Apple could be looking at a fourth quarter or early 2016 debut.

Late last year, pundits expected the so-called "iPad Pro" to hit store shelves in the first quarter of 2015. Those guesses were refuted in November by noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who said Apple's larger-screened tablet is unlikely to enter mass production until the second quarter of 2015 at the earliest. At the time, Kuo cited a crunch on component production and assembly as catalysts for delay.

Aside from a supposed rendering and a questionable photo of an alleged production mold, information on Apple's as-yet-unannounced jumbo iPad is scarce.

Rumors suggest that Apple will use the extra chassis space afforded by a larger display to build in extra speakers that provide stereo output while viewing content in the landscape orientation.

More recently, Kuo speculated that Apple could launch a branded stylus to be sold alongside iPad Pro, while a follow-up model might sport advanced 3D writing capabilities.

Today's news lines up with statements made by Apple CEO Tim Cook, who in January intimated that the iPad lineup may not see significant changes during the first half of 2015. During the company's most recent quarterly investor conference call, Cook was upbeat on the future of iPad, noting his position offers a clear view of Apple's product pipeline.

The Apple chief was careful not to send mixed signals, however, saying, "I'm not projecting. To be clear with everyone, I'm not projecting something very different next quarter or the next. I'm thinking over the long run."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    That's too bad. I am way more excited to see what they do with that than an iWatch.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'd buy a larger iPad Pro for sure, but I am definitely glad that I'm not sitting around, waiting for one to come out anytime soon, because in the meantime I'm more than happy with the iPad Air 2 that I bought on day one.

• Reply 3 of 64

This is great news.

Apple ][ and I have our eyes on it, but bought iPad Air 2s anyway. At least, we'll get some more use out of our current iPads.

• Reply 4 of 64
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I love how it's never, "we made a wild ass guess and we were wrong." It's always, "Apple and their suppliers are incompetent so it's been pushed back, but we were initially correct."
  • Reply 5 of 64
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member

iPads are released in the fall, so if there even is an iPad Pro that's probably when it was going to be released anyway.

• Reply 6 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

Whatever. Who the fck ever predicted larger iPad (if true) to be released before iPad event was pure dumb. I didn't buy that then and don't now. Apple always combined same mobile product category in one event. What the hell do people think the iPad Pro/Plus/whatever would be announced now or Summer? Pure dumb.

• Reply 7 of 64
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Pushed back 6 months because of poor display yields?

Yeah, very believable....
  • Reply 8 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post

That's too bad. I am way more excited to see what they do with that than an iWatch.

iWatch? What's that?

• Reply 9 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

This is great news.

Apple ][ and I have our eyes on it, but bought iPad Air 2s anyway. At least, we'll get some more use out of our current iPads.

Definitely.

I'm pretty happy with the iPad Air 2, but the iPad Pro is a day one purchase for me. Just the fact that it'll be a bigger iPad makes everything better. Also the rumor about it having stereo speakers in both landscape and portrait seems pretty nice.

• Reply 10 of 64
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

That's disappointing, I was really hoping for a fall release.

• Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

That's disappointing, I was really hoping for a release later this year.

September qualifies as "later this year".

• Reply 12 of 64
    fallenjt wrote: »
    iWatch? What's that?

de·duce
    d??d(y)o?os/
    verb
    arrive at (a fact or a conclusion) by reasoning; draw as a logical conclusion.
    "little can be safely deduced from these figures"
    synonyms: conclude, reason, work out, infer; More
    archaic
    trace the course or derivation of.
    "he cannot deduce his descent wholly by heirs male"
  • Reply 13 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member

It's ok.  September makes for a better time-frame for me as well. 

• Reply 14 of 64

I'm sure Apple has been planning for a fall release date for a while. That said, the fact that his rumor came out is undoubtedly good for Apple PR. I'm sure there are many people who would've felt very disappointed if they were hoping to get an iPad this spring based on past rumors. Also, the fact that there's a supposed concrete reason for the "delay" will prevent people from crying about it (as much) because they now feel a sense of control (over their expectations). 

Most of our emotional distress comes from a mismatch between expectations and reality (depression), or the anticipation of a mismatch (anxiety). Underlying it all is a subconscious, infantile feeling of helplessness and panic at a perceived lack of control, which stems from when we would suffer as infants/toddlers without an ability to sooth ourselves, or express, organize, and compartmentalize our angst with language.

I think Apple understands these concepts very well.

• Reply 15 of 64
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

I'm sure Apple has been planning for a fall release date for a while. That said, the fact that his rumor came out is undoubtedly good for Apple PR. I'm sure there are many people who would've felt very disappointed if they were hoping to get an iPad this spring based on past rumors. Also, the fact that there's a supposed concrete reason for the "delay" will prevent people from crying about it (as much) because they now feel a sense of control (over their expectations). 

Most of our emotional distress comes from a mismatch between expectations and reality (depression), or the anticipation of a mismatch (anxiety). Underlying it all is a subconscious, infantile feeling of helplessness and panic at a perceived lack of control, which stems from when we would suffer as infants/toddlers without an ability to sooth ourselves, or express, organize, and compartmentalize our angst with language.

Somebody needs a hug. ;)

• Reply 16 of 64
    I doubt Apple ever planned on releasing an iPad pro at an Apple watch centered event. That would take a great deal of stage time to explain the new software being created for it etc. Plus people only have so much disposable income. The Apple watch is an impulse purchase.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Apparently, almost every fucking Apple product in existence was pushed back multiple times cause of "yields". Or, more probably, these fucking morons were talking out of their asses and don't have the guts to admit they were doing so. 

• Reply 18 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

I see you've changed your name to PatchyTheShrink. ;) 

• Reply 19 of 64
    This will probably make some of you mad, but why is Apple chasing Samsung. They have a 12.2" tablet, and also a smart watch, that does not need their phone nearby. I've been an Apple user, since the Apple II. I also own shares in the company, that I bought at $5.00'share.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    fallenjt wrote: »
    iWatch? What's that?

A sign of intellectual bankruptcy.