Apple Watch carried codename 'Gizmo,' former Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch spearheaded software

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    rayz wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised that folk think Lynch is a bad hire based on something that no one has actually used yet.

And I suspect the design of the UI is down to Ive, not Lynch.

I doubt anything is down to one person.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    slurpy wrote: »
    You're kind of full of it. Apple typically gets the software leads to demo the software, not random "marketing guys". Forstall used to demo iOS. Fegherini OSX (and now iOS too). iWork/iLife apps were always demoed by those in charge of that. It's what I always liked about those demoed, they were done by those intimate with the software and development process, not a "marketing guy" with notes. It's sad that's what you want apple to do, just to add some fakeness to it. It's also sad that you feel the need to justify your opinion with the "lots of people" bullshit. You and I know that every single keynote gets millions of comments of hatred, no matter what Apple does. "Barely limped". Sorry, enough with the bullshit. Not everyone is a fucking God of giving presentations, nor do they need to be. 
    iOS, OS X and iLife/iWork are software products, normally shown off at WWDC. We're talking about a consumer hardware product that was unveiled at a consumer hardware press event (aka the "iPhone event"). Who normally introduces the iPhones and iPads? Traditionally it would have been Steve Jobs, and lately that's been taken over by Phil Schiller. Those two are marketing guys first and foremost. I don't much care for "if Steve was still alive" postulations, but I don't think there's much doubt that if he were alive it would be him doing the ?Watch presentation.

I never claimed that everyone needs to be a "fucking God of giving presentations", but anyone giving a demo of a new Apple product at a press event should be a damn sight better than Kevin Lynch was.

Calm down please.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    mstone wrote: »
    Flash served its purpose at the time. It filled a void and allowed developers to write once view anywhere and consumers to watch video and play games when no other solution was available. Its usefulness is for all intents and purposes over at this point. I still have one or two uses for it but only in cases where there is no other solution. It is still a very powerful application, and as I said earlier that was its main problem - too powerful. It is almost like its own operating system. Sure it is a resource hog but so are a lot of stand alone applications and that is what you need to compare it to. It is so versatile that you could probably write a program similar to Photoshop entirely in Flash.

Youtube wouldn't have been possible without Flash. Unfortunately Flash filling in the lack of features in browsers meant that content creators started to rely on it too much. It has taken far longer than it should have for browsers to support rich media apps but at least they are there now. You can develop Photoshop-style apps in HTML5:

https://www.picozu.com/editor/

as well as games:

http://origin.cuttherope.ie

Flash could never work on mobile. It wasn't adapted properly for touch input, GPU acceleration didn't work on every device, mobile resources are more limited, there's far too many people to be able to keep security up to date and so on, The app model made it completely unnecessary because an app can be as basic as a web page all the way up to a major application and installed with a tap, completely offline so no need to download each time through a browser. It's definitely a better fit having Flash as an SDK for apps than for web deployment.

Kevin Lynch was at Macromedia so it makes sense why he'd be supportive of it as he'd seen the changes across the years. He was at General Magic too:

http://klynch.com
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/19/why-did-apple-hire-adobe-cto-kevin-lynch

It seems unusual that he was hired so late into the watch development. He was hired March 2013 and they first showed the watch off September 2014 yet the watch was in development for years. They already have a software lead with Federighi too.

If he does the job he was hired to do well, that's all that matters really and he seems to have delivered on the watch interface.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    Marvin wrote: »

It seems unusual that he was hired so late into the watch development. He was hired March 2013 and they first showed the watch off September 2014 yet the watch was in development for years. They already have a software lead with Federighi too.

If he does the job he was hired to do well, that's all that matters really and he seems to have delivered on the watch interface.

Interestingly, Lynch reports to Bob Mansfield (or at least did at the time of hire). So I wonder if it was his idea/recommendation to hire Lynch. Mansfield was also the one who recommended Papermaster to Steve Jobs. I wonder how far along the watch really was when he was hired.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    rogifan wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »

Interestingly, Lynch reports to Bob Mansfield (or at least did at the time of hire). So I wonder if it was his idea/recommendation to hire Lynch. Mansfield was also the one who recommended Papermaster to Steve Jobs. I wonder how far along the watch really was when he was hired.

Not as far as we imagine, I suspect, going by the delay.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    sofabuttsofabutt Posts: 99member
    Besides it being ugly. And the fact that it can barely survive a shower (a new feature apparently). And the fact that the battery won't last more than 24 hours. I don't see anything wrong with it. However if I were going to spend 5K on a luxury watch I would go with a classic looking analog watch before I'd strap this ugly piece of soon-to-be upgraded junk on...
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Not as far as we imagine, I suspect, going by the delay.

So then we can't say he was hired late into development.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    sofabutt wrote: »
    Besides it being ugly. And the fact that it can barely survive a shower (a new feature apparently). And the fact that the battery won't last more than 24 hours. I don't see anything wrong with it. However if I were going to spend 5K on a luxury watch I would go with a classic looking analog watch before I'd strap this ugly piece of soon-to-be upgraded junk on...

Then obviously ?Watch is not for you. The good thing is no one is forcing you to buy it.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Adobe and Macromedia code is so horrible that even inside Microsoft they use it as a standard to define bad code.
    Adobe should be the place where Apple engineers fired for sub-par performance try to find refuge, not the place from which Apple hires "talent".

Worse is that Apple drives customers into the arms of Adobe by abandoning Aperture.
    The thought of using Photos or Lightroom and giving up Aperture makes my stomach curl for different reasons. I hope Apple reconsiders the Aperture decision or massively improves Photos.

So not sure what to think about a watch that's essentially "Adobe inside".

Apple's code quality and software architecture clarity and consistently has been declining for quite some time now. Not funny, OS X is getting as cluttered as Windows...
  • Reply 70 of 70
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

re: Flash. It was an awesome IDE.  coding HTML5 is a pain in the ass and inferior in every single way. Developers that know, know.  I agree, it was amateur developers along with a bad Mac implementation, that killed Flash. Those two things are what lead Steve to dislike Flash and therefore not support it.

I duno the deal with this Apple Watch though. It looks like a cheesy Android watch.  Moto 360 is circular. It is awesome. It looks like what I thought Apple Watch would be. I might get one. (the 360 that is)