iPhone orders remain strong, Apple likely to top 54M units in March quarter, Barclays says

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Sources in Apple's supply chain are particularly bullish about iPhone sales to start 2015, leading investment firm Barclays Capital to say that its forecast of 54 million units for the current quarter is a "conservative" estimate.

iPhones 2014

Analyst Ben A. Reitzes issued a new note to investors on Thursday, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider, in which he revealed information gathered while at this week's Mobile World Congress event. While there, Reitzes spoke with sources in Apple's supply chain, and their iPhone build outlooks were said to be "broadly positive."

The discussions have led Reitzes to conclude that sales of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus "remain very strong" following a blockbuster holiday quarter. Reitzes had previously given a forecast of 54 million units this quarter, but he now thinks that number could be on the low side.
Supply chain sources indicated to Barclays that sales of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have remained strong into the new year.
If Apple were to ship 54 million units in the March quarter, it would be a year over year increase of 24 percent. But Reitzes now believes that Apple could beat that number, based on talks with sources in the company's supply chain.

iPhone sales saw a huge 46 percent increase in the preceding December quarter, reaching record sales of 74.5 million units in the three-month span. Because the iPhone lineup is updated just once a year in September, sales peak during the holiday quarter and then gradually decline from quarter to quarter until the next refresh.

Looking ahead to September and the anticipated launch of a so-called "iPhone 6s," Reitzes believes Wall Street expectations are too low. He believes that the company will be able to beat current estimates later this year, and he has predicted that Apple will ship 218 million iPhones in fiscal year 2015.

Reitzes also isn't concerned about Samsung's newly announced Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge, both of which feature premium materials like metal and glass to more directly compete with Apple's high-end iPhone lineup.

While the analyst conceded that the Galaxy S6 looks nice," sources in the supply chain reportedly indicated that the build numbers from Samsung aren't high enough to "derail" Apple and its hugely successful iPhone 6 series.

Barclays has had a price target of $150 per share for AAPL stock since late January. The firm has also maintained an "overweight" rating on Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Those numbers are fucking insane for a March quarter. But I wouldn't be shocked. iPhone 6 demand is still off the charts.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone orders remain strong

• Reply 3 of 34
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Those numbers are fucking insane for a March quarter. But I wouldn't be shocked. iPhone 6 demand is still off the charts.

How about 39-44 million for the July-Sept quarter? Does that sound right to you?

• Reply 4 of 34
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    it will retrace to 120 first then up to 135 ish drop back a bit then start a tend up to 150 by fall in anticipation of new hardware in Sept
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

How about 39-44 million for the July-Sept quarter? Does that sound right to you?

I have absolutely no idea. I'm just using history as context. Why would you ask me that?

• Reply 6 of 34

I wonder if they'll do a BOGTwo deal on the S6 this time. BOGO didn't move enough S5's, so it makes sense to give away two with every one purchase to boost shipment numbers. Otherwise, Anderoid will lose their marketshare 'advantage'.

• Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I wonder if they'll do a BOGTwo deal on the S6 this time. BOGO didn't move enough S5's, so it makes sense to give away two with every one purchase to boost shipment numbers. Otherwise, Anderoid will lose their marketshare 'advantage'.

Maybe Samsung can include a free iPhone 6 with every S6 purchase? That would boost sales. There's also the advantage of the consumer also getting the original, along with the slavish knockoff. 

• Reply 8 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So this is why the stock was down 2% today? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 9 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So this is why the stock was down 2% today? image

Now they're selling on the rumor AND the news.

• Reply 10 of 34

Now they're selling on the rumor AND the news.

Apparently it was down today because Deutsche Bank said the Watch doesn't present a significant growth opportunities in the near future. But they also said by 2018 it could become a $26 billion business.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

because Deutsche Bank said

Why does anyone listen to those idiots? They've been trying to take AAPL down for a while.

• Reply 12 of 34
    quazzequazze Posts: 32member
    Quote:

...in which he revealed information gathered while at this week's Mobile World Congress event. While there, Reitzes spoke with sources in Apple's supply chain, and their iPhone build outlooks were said to be "broadly positive."

I hope others can read through this false reporting. Events such as Mobile World Congress (MWC) are truly filled with salespeople and low level management [and lazy reporters]. People within Apple's Supply Chain rarely risk breaking non-disclosure agreements to discuss potential sales volumes to a smuck like Reitzes. Don't believe the hype.

MWC Attendees: http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/about/start-here/who-attends-mwc/

• Reply 13 of 34
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I have absolutely no idea. I'm just using history as context. Why would you ask me that?

Reitzes has predicted 218 million iPhones for fiscal 2015.

74.5 million for q1... let's be really bullish for q2 and say 60 million... that leaves 83.5 for q3 and q4... somewhere in the neighbourhood of 39-44 million for each of those quarters.

Sounded high to me and I was just wondering what you thought.

• Reply 14 of 34
    Hmm...so ?Watch has a port similar to lightening that's being used for diagnostics right now. I wonder is it could signal "smart" bands in the future? Maybe bands that provide additional battery life?

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/05/would-you-buy-a-smart-band-for-an-apple-watch/
  • Reply 15 of 34
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

So this is why the stock was down 2% today? image

stock don't always go up you know? This is just normal trading 

• Reply 16 of 34
    paul94544 wrote: »
    stock don't always go up you know? This is just normal trading 

Except the markets overall were up today. And 2% on a $750B company isn't chump change.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

buying opportunity.

bought 450 shares today

That's just shy of $60K. Can I ask what you? Seems like you make damn good income. 

• Reply 18 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Fandroids are cheering the s6 on and seems Sammy is trying to redeem itself.

I'm not gonna lie, I was a little concerned.

Lets see what happens.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Frakking insane numbers. I wonder how badly Sammy Galaxy 6 will do in the next quarter.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Fandroids are cheering the s6 on and seems Sammy is trying to redeem itself.

I'm not gonna lie, I was a little concerned.

Lets see what happens.

Did you expect fandroids not to cheer it? They would have cheered it if it was a turd on a stick. It's mind-boggling to watch, how these hypocrites bashed the iPhone for years for not having things like removable storage, removable batteries, a million software gimmicks, etc- and now are celebrating the fact that Samsung just dropped all this stuff, as if its a massive improvement. Just goes to show what these "opinions" are based on- Hatred of Apple, and nothing else.