First look: Microsoft's all-new Office 2016 for Mac public preview

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    I have to agree with what a lot of folks are saying on this, after buying Microsoft Office first as Word and then as the full out office product, I am not interested in getting any application through a subscription.
    I don't do that with Adobe anymore and won't do that with Mircosoft.
    As much as I would love to use the software, folks that can charge you whatever down the road is not the type of people I want to be a part of.

I think that microsoft should offer two methods, first the subscription and then a pay app, like I did with my office a half a decade ago. Hard to beleive it's taken Microsoft this long to update a program.

So Bill Gates and the rest of microsoft you better be listening, a lot of us want to buy our copy of Office 2016 for the Mac, not rent it.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitmod View Post

I charge 5-8 grand to design presentations in keynote. Same presentation in PP will run you 35-40... And it won't do half of what keynote can or look nearly as good. In other words, I refuse to service Office users. In fact, I would rather fold my business and mow lawns - then have to design in Office.

The last time I had to use office resulted in smashed computer parts all over the floor (wintel box) and a keyboard embedded in the wall - and me drunk under my desk sobbing like a little girl.

My enthusiasm for this product can be imagined by the excitement Stephen Wright has clipping his toenails.

I'm worry, what the ****? Can you please enlighten me as to the details? What kind of presentations, and for what clients? Do you have an example? That sounds absolutely insane. 

• Reply 43 of 73
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    I see they're really committed to that atrocity that is the ribbon. The ribbon was a replacement for poorly thought out menus, not menus in general. If that ribbon is required, I won't be using it.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That sounds absolutely insane. 

If nothing else, it sounds like a great way to get people to use Macs.

• Reply 45 of 73
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member

Fixed that for ya !

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If pumping $150 million into a then-dying Apple is the best thing Microsoft's board of directors has ever done for Mac users

Unbelievable that this stupid trope is still written on the pages of AppleInsider. If anybody still doubted that Sam Oliver might've been a DED alias, there's your proof that they are clearly two distinct people with very different grasps of history :

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the best thing Microsoft's board of directors has ever done for Mac users, appointing Satya Nadella as the third chief executive in company history may come second comes in first by far.

Fixed that for ya !

Quote:

The first sign of detente came last March, with the release of Office for iPad. That launch was unquestionably a Big Deal […]

The thaw continues today as Microsoft rolls out the very first public preview of Office 2016 for Mac

It was indeed unquestionably a Big Deal for iPad users in business that were looking for alternatives, but also a Big Deal for Microsoft to not lose more ground in mobile, perhaps a bigger deal for them. The halo effect of iPads massive share in business is reflected in greater adoption of Macs in business as well. These are clever moves by Nadella who has reset the priorities of Microsoft to where they should be for their future in enterprise as opposed to the blind partisanship of Balmer and Gates. Make no mistake, these last 2 moves are just as self-serving to Microsoft as the 150 million deal was back then. Kudos to Nadella, the only CEO they've ever had that has some semblance of a visionary.

Sorry for the edit, I hit Ctrl-Return by mistake, who knew this was equivalent to Submit.

• Reply 46 of 73
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    the new Mac apps feature an updated "Recents" tab that automatically displays the user's most recently-opened documents, regardless of platform

"surface" = pointless hipster-speak verb replacement for "display"
  • Reply 47 of 73
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jony0 View Post

Unbelievable that this stupid trope is still written on the pages of AppleInsider. If anybody still doubted that Sam Oliver might've been a DED alias, there's your proof that they are clearly two distinct people with very different grasps of history :

Fixed that for ya !

No matter the reason for the investment, Apple was dying at the time, and it was probably the nicest thing MS ever did for them considering all the anticompetitive stuff that went on in the 90's. It didn't say MS "propped up" Apple or MS "saved" Apple, so what are you so worked up about?

• Reply 48 of 73
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by webweasel View Post

And they're still using a floppy disc icon as the save button, which is, er, retro.

Enlighten us all with your progressive thinking.

Suggest an icon.

Which could be easily understood by millions as a 'save the document' icon.

Then you can start trying to look 'smart' and say 'which is, er, retro'.

• Reply 49 of 73
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

No matter the reason for the investment, Apple was dying at the time, and it was probably the nicest thing MS ever did for them considering all the anticompetitive stuff that went on in the 90's. It didn't say MS "propped up" Apple or MS "saved" Apple …

I totally agree, no argument there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

… so what are you so worked up about?

Your quote of my comment skips the answer to that1, where I submitted :

Quote:

the best thing Microsoft's board of directors has ever done for Mac users, appointing Satya Nadella as the third chief executive in company history may come second comes in first by far.

Fixed that for ya !

Even though it was probably the nicest thing MS ever did for them at that point, it was very self-serving as well. I was just worked up about the rating of the event. I believe appointing Nadella is the best thing they've ever done for Mac users, as well as Microsoft.

1 As I mentioned in my Edit, I mistakenly hit Ctrl-Enter to goto the next line but it prematurely submitted my comment. I'm not sure if that part was posted at the time you saw it while I was finishing the edit, sorry for the confusion.

• Reply 50 of 73
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    urahara wrote: »
    Enlighten us all with your progressive thinking.
    Suggest an icon.
    Which could be easily understood by millions as a 'save the document' icon.

Then you can start trying to look 'smart' and say 'which is, er, retro'.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    Each app is using about 60% CPU at idle right now. Not a great start...
  • Reply 52 of 73
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AIShane View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

One thing for sure - I am NOT buying a subscription to get the new version. I have the standalone version of Office 2011 and paid for that just once.

No way will I get on the yearly-fee treadmill.

Microsoft says they'll also offer perpetual license options (aka software purchase), but pricing and availability won't be confirmed until closer to retail launch.

Thanks for that info. I looked but didn't see that (guess I hadn't dug deep enough).

• Reply 53 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »

Why won't they give us access?

Because it has a grim Outlook.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by webweasel View Post

Your comment is so irrelevant.

• Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

One thing for sure - I am NOT buying a subscription to get the new version. I have the standalone version of Office 2011 and paid for that just once.

No way will I get on the yearly-fee treadmill.

Um... why not? You get free OneDrive with theoretically unlimited storage, and upgrades are part of the deal... I've been using the latest and greatest version of Outlook for a while now specifically because I'm on the "fee treadmill."

It feels like a win for me.

• Reply 56 of 73
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitmod View Post

I charge 5-8 grand to design presentations in keynote. Same presentation in PP will run you 35-40... 

Those musy be some fancy presentations. What's your value add? (or do you just have a strict "money to burn only" clientele policy.)

• Reply 57 of 73
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    desuserign wrote: »
    Those musy be some fancy presentations. What's your value add? (or do you just have a strict "money to burn only" clientele policy.)

They are pretty fancy presentations indeed.
    What we are doing can simply not be done using PP.
  • Reply 58 of 73

Looks like the new Office applications are still 32bit.  Its 2016 and Microsoft can't write 64bit Mac apps?  The suite only supports 10.10 so all supported Macs are 64bit.

• Reply 59 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    aishane wrote: »

Microsoft says they'll also offer perpetual license options (aka software purchase), but pricing and availability won't be confirmed until closer to retail launch.

That's something Adobe should do.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because it has a grim Outlook.

What will be the Lync to the next Office pun?