Shuttle drivers at Apple, other Silicon Valley tech companies vote for Teamsters representation

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 170
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Everyone needs to know about gaffers tape. We need an app for that! ????

I keep three or four 3-inch pieces of tape on the back of a credit card I never use. So handy to have it with me everywhere.

• Reply 162 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I keep three or four 3-inch pieces of tape on the back of a credit card I never use. So handy to have it with me everywhere.

"What's in YOUR wallet"?
  • Reply 163 of 170
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Profits are the reason for being for a business. This is simply a fact. And it's also a fact that labor represents the largest expense for businesses in the US, so naturally automation and workforce reductions are a point of focus.
    Congratulations. You have made so many crazy, self righteous posts over the last few weeks, I feel compelled to block you. "This is simply a fact!"
  • Reply 164 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Congratulations. You have made so many crazy, self righteous posts over the last few weeks, I feel compelled to block you. "This is simply a fact!"

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a hoot.

• Reply 165 of 170
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Profits are the reason for being for a business. This is simply a fact. 

Businesses can be run as a not-for-profit organisation or be state owned to deliver a public good.

So no, not a fact.  Profits are a reason for being for a business.

• Reply 166 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Businesses can be run as a not-for-profit organisation or be state owned to deliver a public good.

So no, not a fact.  Profits are a reason for being for a business.

If you are a non-profit, you aren't really a business now, are you? You're a charity.

• Reply 167 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

If you are a non-profit, you aren't really a business now, are you? You're a charity.

Unless you're a professional sports team.
  • Reply 168 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Unless you're a professional sports team.

A professional sports team is hardly a non-profit. The sports leagues themselves ARE tax-exempt.

• Reply 169 of 170
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

No.  There are overlaps between not-for-profit businesses and charities, but they are not the same thing.  All charities are not-for-profit organisations, but not all not-for-profit organisations are charities.

Take a look here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501(c)_organization.  Many of these types are indistinguishable from any other type of for-profit business, apart from the use of their surplus.

Also, since you mention it, while some of their funding may be unconventional from a for-profit business standpoint, the breadth of work that charities end up doing means that they will often operationally meet the definition of a business.