Oracle bundles Ask.com adware with latest Java for Mac installer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

So anyone under 80 will immediately delete this, and anyone over 80 will ask their grandkids to immediately delete this.  So who is the target audience?  Do these ploys actually generate revenue?

I'm sure they do.

A few days ago I heard those spam phone calls to fix your virus infected Windows,

result in about about 7% paying money to remove the mythical  viruses.

• Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cashxx View Post

Here all start complaining!!!

http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/main.jsp At the bottom under “Report an Issue” from the drop down select “Comments and/or Suggestions” and write away! 

If thats not enough for you send the CEO’s an email as well!! [email protected] and [email protected] they seem to hold a joint CEO positions.

You know the ask.com bundling makes oracle millions of dollars, right? Oracle won't stop until it milks Java for all its worth.

• Reply 23 of 63
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Bastards
  • Reply 24 of 63
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    filed bug report with Oracle following link above:

If I wanted the extension (which is available separately and has nothing to do with Java) I would do so. Having it install by default is behavior I expect from shady Chinese companies, not one of America’s largest DB providers.

Seriously: whatever executive thought this was a net plus for Oracle should be shown the door and never be in charge of release content again. The damage done to Oracle’s reputation because of this is far greater than any financial gain it would get.

PS: AppleInsider: fix UTF-8 in the front pages handling. geez.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

This is why I only install stuff from the Mac App Store, because it has been checked for this kind of nonsense. Of course I also have a Linux box with OpenJDK on it because I don't want to miss out on Java development :)

• Reply 26 of 63
    It's Windows nightmares all over again. Don't even think of touching my Mac with this kind of crap!
  • Reply 27 of 63
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    cashxx wrote: »
    Here all start complaining!!!

http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/main.jsp At the bottom under “Report an Issue” from the drop down select “Comments and/or Suggestions” and write away! 

If thats not enough for you send the CEO’s an email as well!! [email protected] and [email protected] they seem to hold a joint CEO positions.

This is the best recourse, along with actually boycotting the software (removing it from as many devices as you can) so as to not support this behavior. If you are posting in here, take the few extra seconds and make the effort to also post to a venue that will actually have a chance at making an impact.

This is my honest feedback that I've submitted and I only wish I could have the ability to remove Java from more systems that I interact with.

"The automatic 'opt-in' by default to install any extrainious software, including the Ask.com toolbar, is appalling. It is deceptive and inconveient for your customers. I understand the potential for suplimental revenue from commissions. You will find that this choice of behavior will result in tarnishing Oracle's brand and I have personally un-installed Java on every system that I possibly can as a result of this deceptive behavior. Please, if you must include garbage like Ask.com, do so as an actual opt-in and let your users decide if they wish to use the optional software."

This type of behavior has prompted me to stop using several software titles over the years, such as Avast ain't-virus, AVG, and several other freeware softwares. In each case the moment they choose to begin this behavior I've removed their software and notified them of this reason. I would rather you make your software paid, or give an option to donate, versus using this deceptive tactic to generate additional revenue.

-PopinFRESH
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Is there an antitrust issue? Most people have to install Java and Oracle is using its dominant power to force user to install an adware, worst than Windows bundling of IE albeit the adware can be uninstalled easily
  • Reply 29 of 63
    What it install is a toolbar like Google toolbar and has tracking tools. It is not just you visit Google or ask to search a keyword
  • Reply 30 of 63
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member

Kinda like the tracking Apple does on our iPhones huh ? Why is it everyone points to everyone tracking us, but when Apple does it, it's allright ?

• Reply 31 of 63
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

Looks like leisure suit Larry wants to build himself a new yacht and is paying for it using this sneaky, sleazy, slimeware. Pathetic money grab. 

• Reply 32 of 63
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    ecats wrote: »
    Opt-in by default is a deceptive practice. The user has never made the "positive step" of opting in.
    Well, welcome to the world of "there is no free lunch"
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Stop using Java.

Only for client side. As a server-side language it is much better than the only other big alternative - .Net.

As a Java developer (hoping that Apple releases Swift to open source - better language), I have to load Java on my boxes. I never enable Java for any browsers. If you aren't a software developer, then we are in agreement that Java should never touch your box.

• Reply 34 of 63
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Only for client side. As a server-side language it is much better than the only other big alternative - .Net.

As a Java developer (hoping that Apple releases Swift to open source - better language), I have to load Java on my boxes. I never enable Java for any browsers. If you aren't a software developer, then we are in agreement that Java should never touch your box.
    well, when u need to play Minecraft, you need to install Java.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Stop using Java.

Rather difficult when your government requires you to submit tax returns electronically and their system for doing that requires Java as an absolute.

• Reply 36 of 63
    ferdchetferdchet Posts: 38member
    This isn't news. They have been doing this for a while. At least the last 3 or 4 versions of Java I have installed have had this. And before Ask it was something else, I don't remember what.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Isn't ask.com a search engine?

We(everyone) always forget it exists.

"If you have to ask, you'll never know...

If you know, you need only ask..."

• Reply 38 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

All the more reason to keep Java off your Macs. 

IIRC, Apple took a metric crap ton of flak from the developer community when they first decoupled the Java JRE from OS X, deferring back to Oracle for updates.  This only confirms that was the right decision.

• Reply 39 of 63
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

All the more reason to keep Java off your Macs. 

IIRC, Apple took a metric crap ton of flak from the developer community when they first decoupled the Java JRE from OS X, deferring back to Oracle for updates.  This only confirms that was the right decision.

Except that if Apple were still the one's providing them, there wouldn't be any of this crap.

• Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:

Stop using Java.

Because we all choose to use Java whenever possible.  Now just let me send a note to all my vendors that require a Java client in order to do my job and I'm sure they'll have an alternative ready the next day.