Apple Performance Testing...Help Explain

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As a relatively new Apple user (I bought my Ti500 in Feb. 2001) I am curious as to why Apple uses Adobe Photoshop as a benchmark reference to go against PC specs. Is this the most overall intensive application one can use? Just curious about this..thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aslanaslan Posts: 97member
    Photoshop provides a nice benchmark because it is a common frame of reference for most users, it runs on both major platfoms (duh ), and is fairly resource intensive.

OH... and it gets to show off the AltiVec power, and mutliprocessing (even in MacOS 9).... Photoshop has supported MP via special libraries for some time...

That and it is just really fun watching filters return LONG before the competition and laughing and pointing at the other guys lack of computing power.... :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Photoshop is the most popular app used by PowerMac users.

And it can easily be manipulated in favor of Apple by choosing filters that run extremely well on the mac and poorly o the pc and use only those filters.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    applenut is quite right.

Steve Jobs is famous for his Photoshop "bakeoffs" where he puts a Mac and PC side-by-side on stage and runs a series of heavily Mac-optimized filters. The Mac oh-so-surprisingly always trumps the PC.

Try a bakeoff in, say, After Effects or C4D or Maya or some other Big Name App? and you'll get some different results.

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>Photoshop is the most popular app used by PowerMac users.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

No it's not. I estimate less than 5% of Mac users have a licensed copy of Photoshop.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>I estimate less than 5% of Mac users have a licensed copy of Photoshop.</strong><hr></blockquote>Wow. 0.25% is a small market. That means only one in every 400 computer users has a copy of Photoshop for Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>

No it's not. I estimate less than 5% of Mac users have a licensed copy of Photoshop.</strong><hr></blockquote>

mac users is completely different than powermac users. whether its licenced or not I don't think you'll find a more widely used third party app for powermac users. especially when it comes to using the machine for work
  • Reply 7 of 7
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    Hey, I know a Mac user that only has a copy of photoshop light. Remember, you heard it here first.