Apple, Google, hundreds of other US companies file court brief in support of same-sex marriage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 139
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

There is no privilege. None whatsoever. I've been treated just as poorly as anyone else, I've had to overcome challenges just like anyone else. The concept of privilege is just an excuse and a tool used to keep people down.

The Department of Justice and thousands of people who have actually studied this in depth and committed time into understanding the socioeconomic situations of the United States are willing to say otherwise. 

Listen, I don't doubt you've had your fair share of hardships - everyone does. But this isn't about you.

• Reply 22 of 139
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    You can rationalize it any way you want but it's just legalized perversion
  • Reply 23 of 139
    smurfman wrote: »
    This says a lot about the mentality of the liberal "progressive". If I believe homosexual behavior is not only wrong but an offense against even the basic laws of nature, I'm labeled a conservative wacko.

This is the beginning of major persecution against anyone who disagrees with the liberal progressive. It's NOT a step forward but a major step backward when good people are fined hundreds of thousands of dollars or even put in jail for politely standing by their religious convictions – not hurting ANYONE.

This is hypocritical, disturbing, and wicked to destroy indivual and family businesses because they cannot, in good conscience, support homosexual marriage. Families have already lost their businesses because friends and neighbors have not respected their religious convictions but rather have taken them to court! Selfish and wicked.

But what value does my voice have? None, because I'm labeled a "wacko"!

"Basic laws of nature" homosexuality appears in over 100 species in the wild. It appears in nature which by definition makes it natural.
  • Reply 24 of 139
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Quote:

Actually, they do. Kids need a father and mother, not two of the same gender (or just one of them). Men and women are inherently different, and you gain different perspectives from each thanks to these differences. So yeah, if there was ever a time to say "think of the children", this is it.

Now, you've got to show me proof of this. 

Yeah, I get his point that it would be a balanced environment for a child, except now days, babies spend all day at daycare. They take their first step and say their first word there under the care of some anonymous immigrant who speaks to them in some other language.

• Reply 25 of 139
    Marriage as a ceremony should be separated from any involvement by government. Only a legal contract between individuals should be recognized. Religious interpretations of marriage have no place in government, especially laws such as DOMA.

Actually marriage is a legal contract, you get your document from the government not some church. Perhaps religion should stay out of people's own business.
  • Reply 26 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    snapjack wrote: »
    Marriage as a ceremony should be separated from any involvement by government. Only a legal contract between individuals should be recognized. Religious interpretations of marriage have no place in government, especially laws such as DOMA.

Actually marriage is a legal contract, you get your document from the government not some church. Perhaps religion should stay out of people's own business.

Since history informs us of the social religious origins of marriage, I think you have that reversed.
  • Reply 27 of 139
    Quote:

People can try to keep forcing the issue, it's not going to work. Kids need a mom and a dad, not two dads, two moms, or one parent.

What about zero parents or single parents, guess we should make a law against that too.  Plenty of men and women raising children without marriage, plenty of married couples abusing children too. Fact is there are many right ways to raise children and they all don't deal with a married man and woman. 

• Reply 28 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Since history informs us of the social religious origins of marriage, I think you have that reversed.

We're not talking about history here, we're talking about the laws of the USA. Nothing about this has anything to do with marriage in a church. It's all about the legal document we all have to have to be married.

• Reply 29 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    snapjack wrote: »
    What about zero parents or single parents, guess we should make a law against that too.  Plenty of men and women raising children without marriage, plenty of married couples abusing children too. Fact is there are many right ways to raise children and they all don't deal with a married man and woman. 

This is true also. Government should never be allowed to offer incentives to couples or those having kids versus those singles or without kids. Social engineering is disturbing, anti-American and anti-freedom.
  • Reply 30 of 139
    So good to hear. Apple, Google, and all the other companies supporting this are to be highly commended for moving forward in the support of human rights and dignity for all people. These companies know firsthand the benefits of seeking diversity. It's just good business and very heart warming.
  • Reply 31 of 139

Soon you too will pass into insignificance along with your backward ideas. Time marches on; you can't stop it. 

• Reply 32 of 139
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

This says a lot about the mentality of the liberal "progressive". If I believe homosexual behavior is not only wrong but an offense against even the basic laws of nature, I'm labeled a conservative wacko.

This is the beginning of major persecution against anyone who disagrees with the liberal progressive. It's NOT a step forward but a major step backward when good people are fined hundreds of thousands of dollars or even put in jail for politely standing by their religious convictions – not hurting ANYONE.

This is hypocritical, disturbing, and wicked to destroy indivual and family businesses because they cannot, in good conscience, support homosexual marriage. Families have already lost their businesses because friends and neighbors have not respected their religious convictions but rather have taken them to court! Selfish and wicked.

You also turned around and stereotyped all liberal progressives in the same fashion. Neither direction is fair.

• Reply 33 of 139
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

I can link studies all day (and I'll provide one below) but at some point things are accepted on personal experience and faith. Most people rarely change opinions, claiming that studies are biased or just disallowing them from the source.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0049089X12000610

People can try to keep forcing the issue, it's not going to work. Kids need a mom and a dad, not two dads, two moms, or one parent.

Can you link one that isn't $36 to see it?

• Reply 34 of 139
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Very nice to see. 

Nice to see our American neighbours move forward on this. A little late, but better later than never. 

• Reply 35 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Can you link one that isn't $36 to see it?

He can't, because his study is baloney. 

There are, however, plenty of studies that show that children raised by same sex couples are at least as happy and healthy as children raised by straight couples, here's an article among zillions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/07/children-of-same-sex-couples-are-happier-and-healthier-than-peers-research-shows/

"children need a mother and a father" is an idiotic argument. Children have been raised by same sex couples for thousands of years, and whether you support it, think it's an abomination, or legislate against it, it's still going to happen. The only difference is that laws against it only end up hurting the children themselves. But most social conservatives are too frickin stupid and brainwashed by their idiotic religion to even understand that.

• Reply 36 of 139
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

Oh wait, stop there. 

Smurfman learns nothing apparently. 

As for "Families have already lost their businesses because friends and neighbors have not respected their religious convictions but rather have taken them to court! Selfish and wicked." Perhaps you should include the fact that many gays have been discriminated, fired, and attacked for being gay and it's legal in many states. Selfish, evil, and mean spirited. 

Your belief is wrong. It's morally wrong. It's unethically wrong. There's nothing to discuss. You make a choice to believe in discrimination based on prejudice and you need to be corrected. 

I heard those arguments - EXACTLY SAME ARGUMENTS - when traditional conservatives were outraged about the SCOTUS ordering that blacks be integrated with whites. In their view, blacks were not humans but properties and interracial marriages were wrong. It goes on and on. 

• Reply 37 of 139
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

We've had marriage equality in England for nearly year. We haven't drowned yet

• Reply 38 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

We've had marriage equality in England for nearly year. We haven't drowned yet

Canada has had marriage equality for 10 years and they've been doing just fine, eh.

• Reply 39 of 139
    jk7117jk7117 Posts: 19member

So are saying if a person stands or believes in traditional marriage between a one man and one woman they are a bigot? Does this now mean that literally billions of people for the last 4000 years or so who have stood and believed in traditional marriage between a man and woman are all bigots too?

• Reply 40 of 139
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jk7117 View Post

So are saying if a person stands or believes in traditional marriage between a one man and one woman they are a bigot? Does this now mean that literally billions of people for the last 4000 years or so who have stood and believed in traditional marriage between a man and woman are all bigots too?

Not at all - we all support your traditional marriage but don't take away or prevent the rights of gays to marry. You tell me where gays want to destroy your traditional marriage.