Apple stock to replace AT&T in Dow Jones Industrial Average

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    sog35 wrote: »
    just sold this for a quick $250 gain.

Minus taxes on your short term investment seems like poor waste of time. Are you doing $60-70k investments? If so, even a 1% gain would be $600-700, pre-tax, right.
  • Reply 62 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Minus taxes on your short term investment seems like poor waste of time. Are you doing $60-70k investments? If so, even a 1% gain would be $600-700, pre-tax, right.

Honestly, I long ago found little value in day trading. I have a "reasonably" diverse portfolio that I started with (although as I mentioned before, it's now overweighted with AAPL simply because of rapid growth and I have no reason to rebalance) and have had numerous moderate sized investments go belly up on me from time to time. Even accounting for all of my losses (including the "dot com" implosion) I'm much farther ahead with my individual stocks than if I had stuck with just a savings account, mutual funds or the like.

• Reply 63 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So you wouldn't take $250 for a few clicks?

bought the shares this morning with one click.  Sold this afternoon with one click.  I'll do that all day long for $250 and about $190 after tax.  Do that twice and I can buy an AppleWatch

And yet we have bunch of clowns here killing themself since Apple charges $99 more for more memory on an iPhone

You don't set upper and lower limits and let the trades go through automatically? With the influence of so many high-freq quant trading programs I'd not want to rely on what happens in the fraction of a second.

• Reply 64 of 112

Speaking of Wall Street bullish*t:  http://www.thestreet.com/story/13068778/1/apple-aapl-stock-lower-today-following-delay-of-larger-ipad-production.html

Isn't this Jim Cramer's site? What a tool.

• Reply 65 of 112

Honestly, I long ago found little value in day trading. I have a "reasonably" diverse portfolio that I started with (although as I mentioned before, it's now overweighted with AAPL simply because of rapid growth and I have no reason to rebalance) and have had numerous moderate sized investments go belly up on me from time to time. Even accounting for all of my losses (including the "dot com" implosion) I'm much farther ahead with my individual stocks than if I had stuck with just a savings account, mutual funds or the like.

I used to do it, too, but the amount of effort I put into knowing everything about these companies, plus their competitors, plus trends in the market, plus trends in foreign markets, and other potentials that could affect the value when looking for a quick buck took so much time and effort and became very stressful.

bought the shares this morning with one click.  Sold this afternoon with one click.  I'll do that all day long for $250 and about $190 after tax.  Do that twice and I can buy an AppleWatch.  So it took me a grand total of 2 minutes to make $250.  That is $7500 an hour.  More than that Justice Department Broomwich clown's rate.

And yet we have bunch of clowns here killing themself since Apple charges $99 more for more memory on an iPhone

Yes, $190 in profit for the day isn't worth the effort and stress I experienced with day-trading. Perhaps things would be different with only investing in Apple, but I'm not ready to jump back into day-trading... but I'll consider it.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

It was $190 for 5 minutes not 1 day. But i guess if you get paid $200 an hour it may not be worth it.

The only stock I day trade is Apple. Everything else is in index funds.

It really does not take much effort. If the stock drops well below fair value i buy. Then i set a sell a few dollars above what i just bought it for. Pretty easy. Worse case scenerio is the stock does not go up right away and i get to collect dividends while i wait.

5 minutes is the time for execution. Planning, thinking and stressing out are what he's talking about...If this is your daily routine activities, I would say it's worth. No one gives you $190 for free.

• Reply 67 of 112
    It was $190 for 5 minutes not 1 day. But i guess if you get paid $200 an hour it may not be worth it.

The only stock I day trade is Apple. Everything else is in index funds.

It really does not take much effort. If the stock drops well below fair value i buy. Then i set a sell a few dollars above what i just bought it for. Pretty easy. Worse case scenerio is the stock does not go up right away and i get to collect dividends while i wait.

If it was an average of $190 for 5 minutes, then sure, but you aren't figuring any other time except logging in to buy and logging in to sell. Not exactly a fair measure.

PS: You still haven't said you will or won't put your money where your mouth is. You're making sooo much money with your day-trading minute-trading that if you believed in your greater than $15 million units in the first 4 quarters on the market then you would bet me the $350.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member
    I'm fairly certain that the Federally established ACA marketplaces in the states will be found unconstitutional with the law as written and politicians seem to be preparing people for this outcome. Those run by the states will remain (for better or worse). Although I am completely against state and Federal involvement in healthcare markets, at the state level it isn't strictly prohibited.

I am not so sure they will be. It comes down to one judge of course.
  • Reply 69 of 112
    I am not so sure they will be. It comes down to one judge of course.

In any event, we'll have a decision in a few months.
  • Reply 70 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    mstone wrote: »
    Tim Cook can decline being listed in the Dow.

That's an interesting statement. I've never bothered to find out if it's true.
  • Reply 71 of 112
    agree.  Total and utter BS that Apple will tank all of a sudden just because they are part of the Dow.

Disney is up 85% the last 2 years and its in the Dow.

Its not about what index you are in.  Its all about profits.  And Apple does it better than anyone else

He's not saying that they will tank. And Disney was far down for several years, they come back up, and then some.

But it's true that historically, companies in the DOW have seen their share prices, on average, rise more slowly than the markets on average, and their previous rise.

That doesn't mean it will be true for everything, just on average.
  • Reply 72 of 112
    melgross wrote: »
    That's an interesting statement. I've never bothered to find out if it's true.

I doubt it's true, after all the Dow Jones industrial index is a privately cultivated list and they can choose to add or remove any company at any time. Additionally, it's far more likely Apple's last stock split was for the sole purpose of appealing to the Dow's criteria for stock selection.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S&P_Dow_Jones_Indices
  • Reply 73 of 112

I find that between federal, state and local taxes at my bracket, that trading can be almost useless for small amounts. why bother? I'd rather hold for a year to get capital gains if I'm going to trade.

I did something odd myself. I opened up a Scotttrade account when Apple was about $340. I was going to trade on that account. Apple kept going up, and so I didn't bother. Then it began to go down, and I never sell in a down market. Then it began to go up again. I never sold any of that stock. Now, it's way up from what I bought if for, and when I think about the trades I could have done, realistically, that is, not trading at the high and lows, as we all like to think we would do, I see that I've made far more money than I would have made if I did trade on the general ups and downs.and I've gotten the dividends as well. That was a moderate sized account, only $30 thousand for the initial entry. I haven't added to it.

I was going to have fun with it, but it just sits there, growing. I suppose that could be considered to be fun.
  • Reply 74 of 112

bought the shares this morning with one click.  Sold this afternoon with one click.  I'll do that all day long for $250 and about $190 after tax.  Do that twice and I can buy an AppleWatch.  So it took me a grand total of 2 minutes to make $250.  That is $7500 an hour.  More than that Justice Department Broomwich clown's rate.

I don't know what account you have. But the problem with these online accounts is that you can't click a trade in the morning, and click another in the afternoon, unless you trade just a part of your equity. And you can't trade that enquiry that just traded, for several days, until it clears.so you can sell 100 shares in the morning, and use those funds to buy something in the afternoon.

That's a big problem with those accounts.

With my large brokered accounts, they would cover me after I made a sale, so I could make a quick buy with those funds.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    I find that between federal, state and local taxes at my bracket, that trading can be almost useless for small amounts. why bother? I'd rather hold for a year to get capital gains if I'm going to trade.

I did something odd myself. I opened up a Scotttrade account when Apple was about $340. I was going to trade on that account. Apple kept going up, and so I didn't bother. Then it began to go down, and I never sell in a down market. Then it began to go up again. I never sold any of that stock. Now, it's way up from what I bought if for, and when I think about the trades I could have done, realistically, that is, not trading at the high and lows, as we all like to think we would do, I see that I've made far more money than I would have made if I did trade on the general ups and downs.and I've gotten the dividends as well. That was a moderate sized account, only $30 thousand for the initial entry. I haven't added to it.

I was going to have fun with it, but it just sits there, growing. I suppose that could be considered to be fun.

That's why I consider Apple to be one of those "buy and hold forever" stocks Buffet prefers.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    I don't know what account you have. But the problem with these online accounts is that you can't click a trade in the morning, and click another in the afternoon, unless you trade just a part of your equity. And you can't trade that enquiry that just traded, for several days, until it clears.so you can sell 100 shares in the morning, and use those funds to buy something in the afternoon.

My understanding is the 3 day waiting period is for transferring funds, and doesn't apply for doing trades.
  • Reply 77 of 112
    Speaking of Wall Street bullish*t:  http://www.thestreet.com/story/13068778/1/apple-aapl-stock-lower-today-following-delay-of-larger-ipad-production.html

I like Cramer, despite his clownish show, he does know what he's talking about. I agree with his position on Apple, and I do the same thing. He's said for years to buy Apple and forget it.
  • Reply 79 of 112
    I like Cramer, despite his clownish show, he does know what he's talking about. I agree with his position on Apple, and I do the same thing. He's said for years to buy Apple and forget it.

Cramer might be saying that now, but I remember many times he's screamed to sell or avoid Apple. He's a momentum trader who puts any investors who take his advice at risk by creating fleeting excitement or panic around a stock which day traders in turn exaggerate. Personally, I avoid anything and everything Cramer.
  • Reply 80 of 112

I love how the article says, "Now, Apple is saying production is more likely to begin in September..." Apple didn't say shit. I don't know owns that site but it's neither stating news, being honest, and clearly likes any journalistic integrity or morals.