Jony Ive's publicity tour continues as he discusses Apple Watch design in new interview

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Interesting watch Ive is wearing in that shot.

One of Mark Newson's no?

• Reply 42 of 54
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    wdowell wrote: »
    mstone wrote: »

Interesting watch Ive is wearing in that shot.
    One of Mark Newson's no?

It doesn't look like his custom-made one, which looks like this:

So he has at least two watches.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member
    Marvin wrote: »

It doesn't look like his custom-made one, which looks like this:

So he has at least two watches.

And a third - :) - 400
  • Reply 44 of 54
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why make contrarian posts when *you already know* it'll be completely dominant? It'll be a massive hit and will redefine the watch industry. It'll do to watches what the iPhone did to mobile phones. 

Because he is a troll.  The way BF behaves is the very definition of a troll.

• Reply 45 of 54
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

And a third - image -

Oh I get it ... Ive is a watch person. And he's 50. Well now I know who Apple is targeting with this product. 

• Reply 46 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Oh I get it ... Ive is a watch person. And he's 50. Well now I know who Apple is targeting with this product. 

If you visit any retailer that sells watches these days, you'll see that large, chunky watches are popular with the younger crowd. Watches are also still popular with adults as jewelry and to demonstrate status. I think Apple has done their homework.

• Reply 47 of 54
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Yet the Apple Watch is one of the biggest, clunkiest watches around!

Boob, thy name is Apple post-Jobs.

You last missive is opinion, you didn't come up with any reasons why you think it is clunky
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

large, chunky watches are popular with the younger crowd. Watches are also still popular with adults as jewelry and to demonstrate status. I think Apple has done their homework.

I have a hard time imagining the younger crowd currently buying the large chunky watches going for the stark, featureless ?Watch. The two as fashion trends do not compliment. Likewise, the idea of the ?Watch as jewelry is ridiculous. It's a flat black piece of glass (when the display is off which is most of the time), inlaid on a simple silver or gold square. It's no Rolex Submariner or Cartier Tank. Only the Edition watch will demonstrate status as it says the wearer has tons of money to throw away on a basic-looking design, the functions of which will likely be obsolete within a year. On the other hand Lance Armstrong's Live Strong yellow rubber bracelets could be found on almost everyone's wrist for a time, so maybe we'll see the ?Watch find a similar foothold in the marketplace.

Ive is a watch wearing person, therefore, he was looking to invent a better "mousetrap" that met his personal aesthetic needs, and solved his technical ones -- just like they set out to redesign the smartphone over the existing offerings. So it's something that appealed to him, which may not have nearly the appeal outside of Apple's senior management, unlike the smart phone, which everyone on the planet uses. 

• Reply 49 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I have a hard time imagining the younger crowd currently buying the large chunky watches going for the stark, featureless ?Watch. The two as fashion trends do not compliment. Likewise, the idea of the ?Watch as jewelry is ridiculous. It's a flat black piece of glass (when the display is off which is most of the time), inlaid on a simple silver or gold square. It's no Rolex Submariner or Cartier Tank. Only the Edition watch will demonstrate status as it says the wearer has tons of money to throw away on a basic-looking design, the functions of which will likely be obsolete within a year. On the other hand Lance Armstrong's Live Strong yellow rubber bracelets could be found on almost everyone's wrist for a time, so maybe we'll see the ?Watch find a similar foothold in the marketplace.

Ive is a watch wearing person, therefore, he was looking to invent a better "mousetrap" that met his personal aesthetic needs, and solved his technical ones -- just like they set out to redesign the smartphone over the existing offerings. So it's something that appealed to him, which may not have nearly the appeal outside of Apple's senior management, unlike the smart phone, which everyone on the planet uses. 

Look up "Nixon" watches and tell me what you find.

• Reply 50 of 54
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matt45 View Post

seriously, at a 350$ minimum, I'd take that "slightly disappointing success"... heck any smartwatch manufacturer will gladly take 10% of that. sheesh. You do understand that's 15M x $350 is over $5.2B

The average selling price would probably be more around $450-500 (considering the very high priced edition would pull it up considerably even if it sell "only" 300K).

• Reply 51 of 54

Look up "Nixon" watches and tell me what you find.
    What'd your point? A company that makes a wide range of trendy watch styles? Which is very different than apples featureless plain monolithic offering.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

"It was different with the phone - all of us working on the first iPhone were driven by an absolute disdain for the cellphones we were using at the time," Ive said. "That's not the case here. We're a group of people who love our watches. So we're working on something, yet have a high regard for what currently exists."

Hm.... sounds a bit like "Actually, I do not see much benefit in making this smart watch, but I was told to do this anyway." ;-)

Apart from joking, I am curious what the introduction next week will bring. Right now I share Ive's view in that I love my watches and I do not feel thay are cumbersome, or missing something, and the features I know so far appear to be in the reign of gadget to me, but not really making a step change in my every day life, like MacOS, Mouse, iPod, iPhone etc. did. Apar from that I appreciate the mechanics in my watches more than I feel I would appreaciate the electronics inside a smart watch. Let's see if that changes over time....

Agreed!

At the moment I simply don't see the benefit of using such a device. We've reached a point where the wristwatch is simply nothing more than a fashion accessory with limited practical use.

• Reply 53 of 54
    Agreed!

At the moment I simply don't see the benefit of using such a device. We've reached a point where the wristwatch is simply nothing more than a fashion accessory with limited practical use.
    Exactly. So what is going to inspire people who wear watches as fashion statements about this? All the images of this watch we see have the display brightly lit with some exciting graphic, like a beautiful faux chronograph dial. But the reality is, it's going to look like this most of the time ... A flat, featureless, black piece of glass inlaid in a block of metal. While there's something to be said for minimalism, is this the reason people wear watches, bracelets, or jewelry of any kind?