Apple's Eddy Cue explains Apple Pay on Apple Watch at NBA game [u]

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 156
    solipsismy wrote: »
    l have no idea what ... But I've got a feeling that sumpin' big is going on!

Gruber notes the venue has historically been reserved for bigger events, but I think having a demo area again and/or invites for the fashion world as well as the tech world could be the reason, not some unexpected products or reveals.

That said, I'd love to see more stuff announced for the first new product category under Cook.

Just for grins ...what if they present a solution for the IT/enterprise world ... Or something similar on a very large scale ...

The naysayers, here, would crap their pants ... "well, if Apple is going to do that -- then all [negative] bets are off."
  • Reply 142 of 156
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Just for grins ...what if they present a solution for the IT/enterprise world ... Or something similar on a very large scale ...

The naysayers, here, would crap their pants ... "well, if Apple is going to do that -- then all [negative] bets are off."

1) They would say it's going to fail.

2) Rememebr how the Apple TV got overshadowed by the iPhone on that fateful day in January, 2007? I suggest it would'nt be good to have something that major announced. Make it headphone for ?Watch or an update to an existing category, like new MBAs, but nothing that massive to fet in the way of ?Watch.
  • Reply 143 of 156
    N

1) They would say it's going to fail

2) rememebr how the Apple TV got overshadowed by the iPhone on that fateful day in January, 2007? I suggest it would'nt be good to have something that major announced. Make it headphone for ?Watch or an update to an existing category, like new MBAs, but nothing that massive to fet in the way of ?Watch.

Good points!

But two weeks later ...

"Here are some industries that will provide an Apple Watch and iPhone for their field reps ... "

Don't underestimate the worth of an immediate, timely and unnoticed [to others nearby] broadcast of a taptic notification to a group of remote employees.
  • Reply 144 of 156
    Good points!

But two weeks later ...

"Here are some industries that will provide an Apple Watch and iPhone for their field reps ... "

Don't underestimate the worth of an immediate, timely and unnoticed [to others nearby] broadcast of a taptic notification to a group of remote employees.

Oh, you mean specifically in regards to ?Watch and the Enterprise?
  • Reply 145 of 156
    Good points!

But two weeks later ...

Oh, you mean specifically in regards to ?Watch and the Enterprise?

Yes! Taptic could be bigger than Apple Pay on the Watch.

Hospitals, security, law enforcement, military, education, maintenance, financial, transportation, sales, utilities ...

I've got to stop this – – I have laryngitis and have to type everything -- I miss Siri ...
  • Reply 146 of 156
    Yes! Taptic could be bigger than Apple Pay on the Watch.

Hospitals, security, law enforcement, military, education, maintenance, financial, transportation, sales, utilities ...

I've got to stop this – – I have laryngitis and have to type everything -- I miss Siri ...

Hmm... I think the haptic feedback will be great — I especially love that you can use walking or driving directions and not have to look at a screen yet know when to turn — but I'd think it would all fall under communication the way that we have now the iPhone making a sound, vibrating, and/or displaying a message.

As Apple execs have stated it's an extension of your iPhone and allows you to get messages more efficiently so I can definitely see a benefit for having your wrist notify you and put up certain messages, like an urgent message for an ER doctor, but I'd think that data was already being sent to them on their iPhone so I can't see what you're seeing, only that it allows an extra level of convenience for the current data we're already getting.

PS: JLG made an interesting observation in today's Monday Note. He stated that with active use the battery will drain faster. Obvious, but that's how these devices will be used and what isn't obvious to seemingly most users is that their "I wish the battery life was better" comments will become true simply by not showing it off to people who have never use it before (including ourselves while we're still discovering how to use it). Also, someone (I think an AI poster) mentioned how Tim Cook can use ?Watch all day when he has such a long waking schedule of 3am to 9pm each day. I can't wait to get actual battery life stats..
  • Reply 147 of 156
    Question: I love the identity protection that Apple Pay seems to offer. But will I still earn reward points on my credit card?
  • Reply 148 of 156
    Question: I love the identity protection that Apple Pay seems to offer. But will I still earn reward points on my credit card?

Absolutely. That isn't even something that needs to be looked up because your credit card company is still the one processing these payments. They are the ones that supply your iPhone, iPad and ?Watch with the representational card number that is stored in the secure element of the NFC chip.

Furthermore, because of the structure of ?Pay helping reduce significant fraud you may even see financial institutions give both the customer and merchant incentives for using and taking ?Pay payments, respectively. For example, you may get an extra point for using ?Pay with your CC, or the merchant might be able to get a slightly reduced card fee from Visa when ?Pay is used. This may have to happen because without there being a critical mass of merchants accepting ?Pay payments we're not likely to start leaving our physical cards at home. So despite our iPhones being protected, we're still vulnerable in many of the same ways were before ?Pay, so they are still having to refund fraud a high amount of fraud on our accounts. In about 2-3 years I think the landscape will have changed remarkably, and we'll be more shocked if a retailer doesn't accept ?Pay.
  • Reply 149 of 156
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member

Yes - as @SolipsismY says, credit card points will still be earned automatically - and I hope he's right that the card issuers will start offering bonus points for using. Apple Pay.

The point I wanted to add is what happens when you use a standalone loyalty/rewards card - for example a store issued card which is not attached to your credit card. I actually think that you might see merchants adding additional discounts to your purchases or offering additional reward points when scanning your loyalty card at the time of purchase. This is because of the new level of privacy that Apple Pay provides. The merchant you are shopping with is unable to track you properly in their own database/marketing engine when you use Apple Pay - BUT...the second you pull out and scan your loyalty card, you give up all that new found privacy/anonymity and allow the retailer to tie your purchases to you via your loyalty card.

I think it's amusing that a large number of people will be using Apple Pay because of its enhanced privacy protection and that many of those same people will be pulling out and scanning their loyalty cards without realizing that they've just essentially voluntarily given up all of that extra privacy! (at least for that particular transaction)
  • Reply 150 of 156
    Based on 37 years of observing Apple:

Big event tomorrow --- with some unexpected surprises ...

Not exactly an exercise in precarious limb crawling there. How about some guesses?

For example: I would be surprised if there are some new BT headphones announced since you'll need that for ?Watch.

Spring forward actually refers to iOS, not the Apple Watch, which has been cancelled.

Apple have decided to release iOS 9 7 months early, so that iPhone users are able to use their phones without them rebooting daily.
  • Reply 151 of 156
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    tenly wrote: »

Yes - as @SolipsismY says, credit card points will still be earned automatically - and I hope he's right that the card issuers will start offering bonus points for using. Apple Pay.

The point I wanted to add is what happens when you use a standalone loyalty/rewards card - for example a store issued card which is not attached to your credit card. I actually think that you might see merchants adding additional discounts to your purchases or offering additional reward points when scanning your loyalty card at the time of purchase. This is because of the new level of privacy that Apple Pay provides. The merchant you are shopping with is unable to track you properly in their own database/marketing engine when you use Apple Pay - BUT...the second you pull out and scan your loyalty card, you give up all that new found privacy/anonymity and allow the retailer to tie your purchases to you via your loyalty card.

I think it's amusing that a large number of people will be using Apple Pay because of its enhanced privacy protection and that many of those same people will be pulling out and scanning their loyalty cards without realizing that they've just essentially voluntarily given up all of that extra privacy! (at least for that particular transaction)

One key difference -- they aren't giving any cc data to the merchant (or anyone) -- nothing worth hacking ...
  • Reply 152 of 156
    Miss Piggy is damaged goods ...
  • Reply 153 of 156
    One key difference -- they aren't giving any cc data to the merchant (or anyone) -- nothing worth hacking ...

That's correct - but protecting your credit card data is a security feature. Apple Pay gives you security and it gives you privacy. My previous post was about privacy. I was comparing Apple Pay transactions with and without the scan of a separate loyalty card. In both cases you get security however when you scan your loyalty card, you give up privacy/anonymity - much like you do when you use cash. Cash transactions are mostly anonymous too - until you swipe that loyalty card to earn 5 points or 2 miles or save 10¢!
  • Reply 154 of 156
    Who will be first to abandon CurrentC for Apple pay?
  • Reply 155 of 156
    Who will be first to abandon CurrentC for Apple pay?

Best Buy