Apple preps to 'Spring Forward' with Apple Events channel on Apple TV, shutters online store

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
With just hours remaining before Apple executives take the stage at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for an event that is expected to focus on the Apple Watch, the company has re-added its "Apple Events" channel to the Apple TV set-top box and temporarily halted sales in its online store.

As with previous Apple briefings, the Apple Events channel features an updated icon that reflects the design motif the company has used for its press invitations and to decorate the Yerba Buena Center. Accessing the channel provides broadcast information adjusted for the user's local time zone, as well as a countdown clock and the ability to re-watch previous Apple events.

Preparations appear to be complete at the Yerba Buena Center, with the theater's entrance decked out in the same style and a series of barricades covered with black cloth erected around the perimeter. Fast Company's Harry McCracken also spotted a contingency of Apple Security personnel outside, guarding both the entrance and the temporary structure Apple built around back, which is likely to house a showroom.

Via Harry McCracken on Twitter

Meanwhile, sales have been halted at Apple's online storefront. This often happens ahead of major announcements, with the company bringing the store down to adjust prices or add new products for sale; the latter may be the case today, with Apple expected to announce availability information for the Apple Watch during the event.

Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted earlier this morning that he "Got some extra rest for today's event," sleeping in until 4:30 a.m. -- Cook has previously said that he usually wakes as early as 3:45 in the morning.

Got some extra rest for today's event. Slept in 'til 4:30.

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

In addition to revealing more details about the Apple Watch, Apple is likely to discuss its Watch-related retail makeover, and could also take the opportunity to introduce speed bumps to its MacBook line or unveil its expected Retina display-equipped MacBook Air. The company might also discuss a revamped Apple TV or its rumored "iPad Pro."

Apple will provide a live stream of the event, which kicks off Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, suitable for viewing on a recent Mac, iOS device, or Apple TV. AppleInsider will be on hand at the Yerba Buena Center and will bring live coverage from the venue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Cook was obviously making a joke since the time change was yesterday he actually lost some sleep.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Reminder to the UK:

This event is at 5 p.m. GMT, not 6 p.m. GMT.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Cook was obviously making a joke since the time change was yesterday he actually lost some sleep.

He was probably up late prepping for the event.

I have to wonder if we're getting more than the Watch today then? Sure, they could just be adding Watch to the store, but starting preorders a month early seems a little premature.
  • Reply 4 of 32

I have to wonder if we're getting more than the Watch today then? Sure, they could just be adding Watch to the store, but starting preorders a month early seems a little premature.

Maybe Spring Forward is a pun on the release of the Apple Watch. We were expecting it in Spring 2015, but it will be on sale today instead. Spring starts on March 20th.
  • Reply 5 of 32

IOS update, app demonstrations...
  • Reply 6 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Cook be slacking.

(That's still 4 hrs earlier than I usually get up. The guy is a machine.)
  • Reply 7 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Cook be slacking.

(That's still 4 hrs earlier than I usually get up. The guy is a machine.)

Well he did say he goes to bed earlier than most (usually by 9:30 or 10 pm).
  • Reply 8 of 32
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Reminder to the UK:

This event is at 5 p.m. GMT, not 6 p.m. GMT.

Thanks, good spot!

• Reply 9 of 32
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    They shuttered the online Apple Store? I don't like shutters myself. When a tornado ripped the shutters from my house, I did not replace them. Without all those vertical decorations, my house actually looked wider. So I recommend that they take off the shutters and just close the door.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I hope to get some more information on the Watch's OS, i.e. is it a cut down version of iOS, same as iOS is a cut down version of OS X, or is it the full/same iOS as you get on an iPhone?

And even though the Watch will be the focus of the event, I hope they do some Mac updates first. Maybe a new Macbook Air/Pro, or the release of 10.10.3 with Photos app.

• Reply 11 of 32
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I hope to get some more information on the Watch's OS, i.e. is it a cut down version of iOS, same as iOS is a cut down version of OS X, or is it the full/same iOS as you get on an iPhone?

It's a cut down version of iOS. The Watch's OS uses a completely different set of UI classes (beginning WK rather than UI).

• Reply 12 of 32
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

The store is down, does that means they will launch right after the event?

• Reply 13 of 32
    smcartersmcarter Posts: 38member

Not for Apple. It infuriates its dealers, but gives Apple bragging rights when the orders start to pile up.

My guess is that they won't announce the new MacBook Air, but I've been wrong before.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    For some reason the Los Angeles channel 4 morning news is reporting Apple is expected to release the new watches "and a new notebook". What?!
  • Reply 15 of 32
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    herbapou wrote: »

That would be a nice surprise. Haven't they done something similar in the past? Maybe not with a new product, but I think I remember some product releases where they shipped the next day.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    herbapou wrote: »

Of course, but perhaps not in the way you mean. It likely doesn't mean ?Watch will go on sale immediately after the event, but rather other products.

For some reason the Los Angeles channel 4 morning news is reporting Apple is expected to release the new watches "and a new notebook". What?!

Yeah, the updated MBA has been rumoured for months now. It's been about a year since it was updated so it makes sense, and it's not like a Mac update will steal from ?Watch in the media.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

No, it just means they are still using an outdated online store based on WebObjects...

• Reply 18 of 32
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    otterfish wrote: »
    No, it just means they are still using an outdated online store based on WebObjects...

And when their store is updated without bringing down the store for hours as part of their advertising it's because they aren't using WebObjects? :no:
  • Reply 19 of 32
    siretmansiretman Posts: 117member
    ascii wrote: »

And even though the Watch will be the focus of the event, I hope they do some Mac updates first. Maybe a new Macbook Air/Pro, or the release of 10.10.3 with Photos app.
    Really, is that what you are looking for today? The watch OS information rather than the watch features and prices? Some people .....
  • Reply 20 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Maybe Spring Forward is a pun on the release of the Apple Watch. We were expecting it in Spring 2015, but it will be on sale today instead. Spring starts on March 20th.

It has to do with the time change here(daylight savings time, or DST). As kids we were taught that after winter we spring forward, and in the autumn we fall back to figure out which way the time changes. The time here just changed here on Sunday morning.