Apple preps to 'Spring Forward' with Apple Events channel on Apple TV, shutters online store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    loekfloekf Posts: 41member
    ascii:

Apple Watch: must be definitely iOS, but stripped down, like iOS has its roots in OS X.
    iPad Pro: not likely, more for fall presentation (Sep/Oct)
    iMac refresh: like the whole world, the waiting is for the either desktop Broadwell or Skylake parts (maybe more after Computex), not before fall presentation
    MacBook Pro/Air: yes, likely, with Broadwell for laptops appearing
    AppleTV: could be, I like to see 4K support, revised UI with voice commands etc, apps, just like FireTV or Android TV. Apple is loosing the game here.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It has to do with the time change here(daylight savings time, or DST). As kids we were taught that after winter we spring forward, and in the autumn we fall back to figure out which way the time changes. The time here just changed here on Sunday morning.

He's trolling. Please refrain from making direct replies. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    loekf wrote: »
    ascii:

Apple Watch: must be definitely iOS, but stripped down, like iOS has its roots in OS X.
    iPad Pro: not likely, more for fall presentation (Sep/Oct)
    iMac refresh: like the whole world, the waiting is for the either desktop Broadwell or Skylake parts (maybe more after Computex), not before fall presentation
    MacBook Pro/Air: yes, likely, with Broadwell for laptops appearing
    AppleTV: could be, I like to see 4K support, revised UI with voice commands etc, apps, just like FireTV or Android TV. Apple is loosing the game here.

1) I'd like to see some BT headphones mentioned since that's what needed for ?Watch to listen to music. No 3.5mm jack.

2) I assume it's iOS even though their iPod's PicoOS probably would be more power efficient, albeit offer less functionality.

3) I wonder if they have built it from the ground up using Swift to make it even more efficient.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    I'm guessing they will finally release the Apple Television in addition to the Watch!!

:-)
  • Reply 25 of 32
    ronmg wrote: »
    I'm guessing they will finally release the Apple Television in addition to the Watch!!

:-)

Uh oh, Mossberg might pick your comment and say there is a pico projector coming in the next ?Watch.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Maybe Spring Forward is a pun on the release of the Apple Watch. We were expecting it in Spring 2015, but it will be on sale today instead. Spring starts on March 20th.

It has to do with the time change here(daylight savings time, or DST). As kids we were taught that after winter we spring forward, and in the autumn we fall back to figure out which way the time changes. The time here just changed here on Sunday morning.

Yep, I think that's probably the only reason, but Apple maybe are making a double pun.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    [quote name="Benjamin Frost" url="/t/185117/apple-preps-to-spring-forward-with-apple-events-channel-on-apple-tv-shutters-online-store#post_2687766"]Maybe . . . [/QUOTE]

(deleted)
  • Reply 28 of 32
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    He's trolling. Please refrain from making direct replies. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.

Maybe I should get one of those punching dummies and name it Bibi.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    flaneur wrote: »
    Maybe Spring Forward is a pun on the release of the Apple Watch. We were expecting it in Spring 2015, but it will be on sale today instead. Spring starts on March 20th.

In the wan and shriveled Anglo-Saxon Christian view of things, detached from nature and life forces, Spring starts on March 20th, ignoring the facts that the flowers have been up for weeks, the birds have chosen their mates, nests are underway, the lambs have been born and the ewes are giving milk. For the Celts, a vastly more poetic and life-connected people, Spring begins with lambing at the first of February. All over ancient Europe, including Gaelic Britain, Ireland and Scotland, this was one of the four most important festival days of the year. Its pale remnant in lands of Christian conquest is Candlemas. See "Imbolc" on Wikipedia.

I do wish people would stop saying ignorant things from their sterile offices and basements about the turnings of the Earth. Summer doesn't begin on June 21, for example. That's Midsummer's Day to the people whose knowledge of the seasons was thousands of years deeper than ours.

You now have the tools for gaining knowledge; it's time you started using them.

Trying to pick an accurate date for Spring based on nature, as you do, is an impossibility.

Most trees here are barren and will remain so for many weeks. March 20th has nothing to do with the Christian calendar; it's simply the Spring equinox, that is to say, it is the midpoint between the shortest and longest days of the year. That is also why it's a strange thing that summer begins on Midsummer's Day. It's called that because it's the longest day.

Yet it works well, as due to the delay in the earth's warming and cooling (due to the seas), the seasons generally fit in well with those dates. The balmy meteorological office here has decided to use the 1st of March for Spring, 1st June for summer etc. But that becomes particularly inaccurate for September, when the weather is inevitably warm and summery here. They obviously like to use round months for convenience of logging data, but it's silly.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

And when their store is updated without bringing down the store for hours as part of their advertising it's because they aren't using WebObjects? image

Ah yes, the old "Advertising" line. That was a great tale told in days of old. The store goes down every time there is an update whether there is an Apple event imminent or not. Our sales team joke that's it's the only way they get wind of minor refreshes to Apple's product line. So I guess you could call that advertising!

• Reply 31 of 32
    otterfish wrote: »
    Ah yes, the old "Advertising" line. That was a great tale told in days of old. The store goes down every time there is an update whether there is an Apple event imminent or not. Our sales team joke that's it's the only way they get wind of minor refreshes to Apple's product line. So I guess you could call that advertising!

So why does it need to be down for hours before an event? So why doesn't. The store go down when they update other products? Are the mundane price changes and updates not using WebObjects? :\
  • Reply 32 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by otterfish View Post

No, it just means they are still using an outdated online store based on WebObjects...

Has nothing to do with WebObjects.

It is just a tradition.

Hopefully means we will be able to order the Watch right after the keynote.