Apple looks to 'reinvent the notebook' with all-new 12" MacBook with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 169
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noelos View Post

Er ... updates to 13" but not 15"? Please tell me this doesn't mean it's being discontinued. Death of 17" was bad enough!

No, but it will take a few months to reengineer the 15" with the new keyboard, trackpad and other stuff.

• Reply 22 of 169

Nice device, but I'm a little unsure how the Air, Pro, and this tier out, especially as it's actually more portable than the Air.

Is the Air always going to remain non-Retina and be the "cheapest" option? This is going to be there new mid-range, and the Pro will remain the top end?

Part of me would have preferred to have this basically be the "new" Air, but I'm guessing they want to remain having a sub-$1000 line. 

• Reply 23 of 169
    noelos wrote: »
    Er ... updates to 13" but not 15"? Please tell me this doesn't mean it's being discontinued. Death of 17" was bad enough!
    They can't update the 15" MacBook pro or even a possible 17" because Intel has not released the chips for them. If you want to blame anyone blame them, those chips will come out in the 2nd half of 2015 sadly enough.
  • Reply 24 of 169
    noelosnoelos Posts: 126member

Thanks all for the explanation. Reassuring. Let's hope the new chips and 15" arrive sooner rather than later - preferably with an improved Thunderbolt & 5K screen.

• Reply 25 of 169
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    Why would someone buy either an "Air" or a "Pro" instead of this new entry? Ease of using legacy ports? What do the others give that this one doesn't? Price?
  • Reply 26 of 169
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    bbh wrote: »
    Why would someone buy either an "Air" or a "Pro" instead of this new entry? Ease of using legacy ports? What do the others give that this one doesn't? Price?

I'd buy the current 15" MBP over this new 12" MB for reasons I would think are obvious: size, performance, ports.

That doesn't mean I don't want most of these new MB features but a Taptic Engine, new keyboard keys, keyboard backlighting, and force trackpad aren't going to outright the previous items mentioned.
  • Reply 27 of 169
    If I am majoring this fall in Information Systems (light coding), would this new MacBook have everything I need? The one port is worrisome. Also, if I need the Pro, should I wait until they come out with the new one? I start in August!
  • Reply 28 of 169
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

Pretty sure there is still going to be a 12" iPad. But I wonder how that will affect sales of this new MacBook? Because right now I have a 13" MacBook from 2008. I want to upgrade my computer but will be getting a 5k iMac when rev. 2 comes out, and a 12" iPad to replace my current 3rd gen iPad, which will be much more portable than a MacBook. And more affordable. This new 12" is also pretty pricey. It looks great, battery life is promising, and the single port is kinda cool for this who are minimalists, though I imagine that hub sales are gonna soar.

• Reply 29 of 169
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Very nice. I wonder how OS X will perform on the Atom processor?

• Reply 30 of 169
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Apple has literally gone insane. True video editing professionals & graphic design professionals & professional programmers need a LARGER SCREEN, such as the now-discontinued 17" MacBook Pro. But instead, they keep making things smaller. There was once a time when professionals could actually be MOBILE PROFESSIONALS with Apple's laptops. Not anymore. I sure miss the Steve Jobs days.

I'm sure a 15" version will be coming too.

• Reply 31 of 169
    factor70factor70 Posts: 11member
    I agree with Scotty321...this is ridiculous. Can anyone else just be HONEST about the ridiculous direction Apple is going when it comes to notebooks? Of course, loyal Apple fans will be giddy about this because it's another new shiny consumer-grade toy. Yet another product from Apple that will not allow me to do real work. How can ANYONE say that ONE port on a notebook is acceptable?? Stop blindly defending Apple no matter what they do!

For those of you who talk about the "pro" options - we have limited options there as well. The 13" model is a non-starter...there is nothing "pro" about it. And the 15" screens are just too small for those of us (developers, creative professionals, etc) who need a LARGE, high resolution screen.

Apple now makes gigantic phones, but continues to decrease the size and functionality of their notebooks. And now more god damn dongles to buy. What a joke.

I'd be lying if I said Windows PCs are a better option, because they are still far worse (IMO) than anything Apple makes. Still, that does not mean Apple should be abusing their loyal professional base with this crap!
  • Reply 32 of 169
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Apple has literally gone insane. True video editing professionals & graphic design professionals & professional programmers need a LARGER SCREEN, such as the now-discontinued 17" MacBook Pro. But instead, they keep making things smaller. There was once a time when professionals could actually be MOBILE PROFESSIONALS with Apple's laptops. Not anymore. I sure miss the Steve Jobs days.

The MBPs are still for sale, and will continue to be. 

You "miss" the Steve Jobs days? Yeah, cause Steve Jobs would be just HORRIFIED at making something thinner, lighter, sleeker, simpler, with less ports, right? That's something he would never THING of doing, right? It's not like he proudly presented the first Macbook Air, right? The portless iPhone? Portless iPad? Sealed batteries? No expansion slots? Killed firewire? Removed trackpad buttons? Yeah, none of that was on Steve's watch, right? You're the one that is literally insane, and there was a million whiners just like you during his days claiming that he was insane. You're hilariously distorting history. This new Macbook would have been Steve's dream. 

• Reply 33 of 169
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BBH View Post

A real processor.  This new MacBook is a Core-M processor.  Fine for day-to-day productivity tasks, but, useless for anything more than that.

• Reply 34 of 169
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    scotty321 wrote: »

I use a new Mac Pro for work I get paid for with three large screens. I use a MacBook Pro if I need mobile and limited power. I don't get your point, this is a MacBook.
  • Reply 35 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

?Also, Huddler, why does this need to exist?

Why not just do some JavaScript magic and have the page automatically add the new content at the bottom? It’s 2015. Screw the jargon of “Web 2.0”, “Web 3.0”, whatever; just bring on the new crap.

Clearly they could have since this notification uses the exact same technology. Perhaps they decided this was a better solution for a number of reasons, and I agree with them. Since the composition window is at the bottom of the page it would be forced down while you were writing if the new post was automatically added. Also if you happen to be on a previous page it couldn't very well add the post automatically now could it? Automatic isn't always better. I think this simple notification is nice touch.

• Reply 36 of 169
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

I assume Apple will sell a companion hub for docking at home, but it will be interesting to see what the mobile solution looks like for those who want to plug in a USB device and charge the computer at the same time.

Also, no-one here cares that we've lost MagSafe?

• Reply 37 of 169
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    So now we have a third product line, after the 5K iMac and the iPad Air, with oxide-backed, i.e. IGZO displays. Progress.

One big reason they could get rid of the fan and get all-day battery life.
  • Reply 38 of 169

The SINGLE port is kind of a downer.  If your battery is dead, your choice is to let it charge before connecting anything else.  Yeah, it's not all that often that you need to plug something else in, but having two ports would at least give you the option.

Yeah, on an iPad you only get one shared port, but at the same time, if you need to connect it to your computer to sync, the computer offers a charge to the iPad.  With the laptop, that's not the case.

• Reply 39 of 169
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Great machine, definitely want one but....that price is all wrong. Why does it have to $1299? This should be $999.

• Reply 40 of 169
    almondrocaalmondroca Posts: 179member

Thought this was the most interesting announcement, other than ResearchKit. Basically any mention of the Mac.