Apple to release iOS 8.2 with Apple Watch support on Monday [update: available]

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
During its "Spring Forward" event on Monday, the company announced upcoming availability for iOS 8.2, which will introduce support for Apple Watch.

Apple's latest iOS update will launch later today with backend support for Apple Watch, and new apps for controlling the wearable's software.

As shown onstage by CEO Tim Cook, the dedicated Apple Watch app is capable of syncing with the device, arranging its home screen, and more. The latest iOS software also comes with a variety of bug fixes.

The iOS App Store is gaining a new section highlighting apps compatible with the Apple Watch. Some noted examples include the astronomy aid Dark Sky, transit tool Citymapper, and the Nike+ Running fitness tracker.

The Watch itself is due to ship on April 24.

Update: Apple's latest iOS 8.2 update is available for download with bug fixes and a patch for the FREAK secure transport flaw.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

Already available as of 6.57pm GMT - downloading now.

• Reply 2 of 10
    Same here. Downloading to iPad mini first and waiting to make sure no bugs with iPhone occur like before :)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Started my download to my iPhone 6+ at 15:05 EDT
  • Reply 4 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The apps for the watch look to be able to do more than I've been reading they could do, and a number work without the phone.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member

Downloaded and installed on my iPhone 5 and I don't see any sign of apple pay being accessible in any way... In other words I still can't find a way to activate a credit card or bank card ( in any 'official' way). Odd...?!

• Reply 6 of 10
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    So how long until we get 8.3b3 with all the 8.2 release features and watch app included?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

No one here knows Apple's timetable of software availability.

• Reply 8 of 10
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    mpantone wrote: »
    No one here knows Apple's timetable of software availability.

To be fair it was intended mainly as a rhetorical question but it was also partly based on the supposition that there was a potential 8.3 update "due" today working from the "usual" 2 week beta release cycle.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Downloaded and installed on my iPhone 5 and I don't see any sign of apple pay being accessible in any way... In other words I still can't find a way to activate a credit card or bank card ( in any 'official' way). Odd...?!

Not odd at all.

Apple Pay is not supported on your device. It is only supported on the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 3 (retina) because Apple Pay requires the Secure Element that on the NFC chip.

No NFC chip = no Apple Pay.

This was covered repeatedly when Apple Pay debuted.

You can learn more about Apple Pay at Apple's website.

Apple says that Apple Pay will be available on the Apple Watch when paired with some devices (including your iPhone 5), not sure how that will be implemented. That functionality might be deployed in a later version of iOS 8.2 seeing that the Watch won't ship for another six weeks.

• Reply 10 of 10
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I believe that the iOS 8.2 update is just adding support for the watch in general, but not any apple pay support for the watch when paired with an iPhone yet. Even though I've also heard that apple pay with be possible with a watch paired with an iPhone 5s (which by itself does not support apple pay due to the ac of both NFC chip and the other chips necessary for apple pay security [not talking about the chip used for segregation of your fingerprint stuff from the main CPU]), I believe this support won't come until another iOS update, I assume 8.3.