Steel Apple Watch collection pricing will range from $549 to $1099 depending on band selection

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

It's not $50, but I expected it like $100. $200 is ridiculous. Also, this is not counting the damn band starting at $49. So even with the Sport, you end up at $399 for lowest one. Sucks.

I'll take back my prediction on Apple watch sale. First year will be <5 millions units. I'm out.

LOL! First day will be more than 2.5 million units alone.

• Reply 42 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flagstone View Post

For Apple Watch:

Sport band is $549/$599

Classic buckle is $649/$699

Milanese loop is $649/$699

Leather loop is $699/$749

Modern buckle is $749/$799

Link bracelet is $949/$999

Link bracelet in Space Black is $1049/$1099

Oh and to follow up, the page is up listing the bands separately, and they all appear to be priced the same relative to the list above. So subtract $500 from the Watch price, and that's the price of the band alone. 

(Whoops, ninja'd by Boba :))

• Reply 43 of 114
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

It's very special steel. Steel engineering is extremely hard. France used to be the best in that market, but a few years ago, executives ran the best company into the ground, and an indian billionaire bought the intellect and left the workers to rot, somehow, from what the press reported (or what I understood....). Apparently the knowledge was not valuable enough for the French government to intervene?

America does intervene in the "liberal" economy in these situations. Shows who's got brains in governments :p

In any case, they've apparently done an incredible job again, and I'm not going to wait for V2 ;)

Anything comes from Apple is special: Aluminum, Steel and even Gold..or in last iPhone 6/6+, screen which crashed like crazy.

• Reply 44 of 114
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member

These prices are GREAT!  They are EASILY within the reach of the normal Apple customer.

In fact, they cost less than Apple's MacBooks!

• Reply 45 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

LOL! First day will be more than 2.5 million units alone.

I doubt it. 

• Reply 46 of 114
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see some in my Twitter feed are bummed because they expected Apple to talk about upgradeability. The thing about that though is how are the optics when gen 1 hasn't even been released and Apple is already telling you how to upgrade it. I actually think that would kill more gen 1 sales than not. And what if Apple doesn't even know at this point how frequently they're going to upgrade. I don't think its a given a new watch will come out every year.
  • Reply 47 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

These prices are GREAT!  They are EASILY within the reach of the normal Apple customer.

That's right. The watch costs a little less than the new MacBook...cool. 

• Reply 48 of 114
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagstone View Post

Oh and to follow up, the page is up listing the bands separately, and they all appear to be priced the same relative to the list above. So subtract $500 from the Watch price, and that's the price of the band alone. 

(Whoops, ninja'd by Boba :))

LOL - nice work.

At least I didn't prefer the most expensive band, I want the Milanese one for the office and a sport for outdoor activities. But I'll have to wait for my bonus, I guess. I'll have to work hard so I get a big bonus ;-)

• Reply 49 of 114
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member

With the easy to reach prices, Apple seeks massive uptake of the Apple Watch.

There are numerous reasons to buy several:

1. Birthdays

2. Graduations

3. Christmas

4. Valentines Day

5. Anniversaries

etc. etc.

• Reply 50 of 114
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member

Overall though, judging by comments on this and others, I wouldn't exclude possibility that Apple will lower prices at some point - or at least adjust them subtly if they see demand is considerably weaker than they expect - probably NOT though before next year and v2...

They've already pre-emted the publicness of this issue - they've hiding the sale figures in "Other" and will treat V1 as a learning process for the company. They'll understand the choice matrix better, price elasticity etc, better plan their stocks etc,  options to offer etc, and then announce with fanfare for v2 how they want to make this product for more people blah blah blah and make the crowd go wild...

(TBH, with exception of the Edition where people don't care, I think the prices are broadly reasonable for the ?Watch collection - though changing more for the larger sizes shouldn't have happened  - margins are already going to be generous as it is)

• Reply 51 of 114
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

No contract so this isn't (at the low end) a two thousand dollar plus commitment... we're already on the hook for that.

• Reply 52 of 114
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member

1) ? doesn't need to sell many many millions in V1. I consider this almost a learning experience for them. The figures won't be public unless they chose to make them.

2) They're dismissing the 'lower-tier' of their customers / targeting their more likely customers by having it iPhone 5 and more recent dependent, so by definition that helps with the pricing elasticity. They're not trying to sell to people with an iPhone 3G.. 

• Reply 53 of 114
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mrboba1 wrote: »

Here is the link to all the band prices:
    http://store.apple.com/us/watch/watch-accessories/bands

Bands aren't cheap but still cheaper than what I was fearing based on Gruber's predictions. I'll be curious to read hands on reviews of the bracelet. If Apple is only charging $149 for the milanese loop the link bracelet at $449 must be pretty complex to manufacture and Apple's marking jargon about it taking 9 hours to produce one band isn't hyperbole.
  • Reply 54 of 114
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

1) ? doesn't need to sell many many millions in V1. I consider this almost a learning experience for them. The figures won't be public unless they chose to make them.

2) They're dismissing the 'lower-tier' of their customers / targeting their more likely customers by having it iPhone 5 and more recent dependent, so by definition that helps with the pricing elasticity. They're not trying to sell to people with an iPhone 3G.. 

Unless they sell millions, which I would not deem impossible. If I had the ability, I'd order now...

• Reply 55 of 114
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flagstone View Post

For Apple Watch:

Sport band is $549/$599

Classic buckle is $649/$699

Milanese loop is $649/$699

Leather loop is $699/$749

Modern buckle is $749/$799

Link bracelet is $949/$999

Link bracelet in Space Black is $1049/$1099

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick29 View Post

This pricing is a big surprise, I expected the steel watch to start above $700. You'll still pay close to $660 with tax (at least in CA) for the base steel watch, but its within reach of many buyers. The sport looks good too.

My question is how will it work to purchase separate bands? Apple didn't promote buying separate bands at all, other than what your watch came with. Of course it will be possible, but leaving out pricing for band options was pretty weak. They'll spend the next month on focus groups and massaging their marketing to get people ready for bands that'll cost up to $549, the same as the base watch. No word on internal memory either, its hard to imagine both the $349 sport and the $10k edition will get the same 8gb, or 16gb, or whatever it ends up being, but who knows, with the iPhone being required to run the watch, that'll be the main place for storage.

Pricing on the bands is up on the Apple Store page under Bands and Accessories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Many people on the internet struggle to grasp the concept that things cost money.

I fully grasp that things cost money. However the prices for the differentiation in product do seem a little out there. The price difference from the Apple Watch Sport to Apple Watch is about what I expected and would definitely be willing to pay. However asking ~$500 for a stainless steel link band is a little beyond justification in my eyes. Also the fact that they only offer the Space Black version with the stainless steel link band is also disappointing as I might have considered getting one with a black sport band, then later if the prices of the link band dropped a bit I would pick one up.

I think this pricing structure will end up pricing quite a few people out of buying one. I may still consider getting one of the Space Grey Apple Watch Sport but I'd be very hard pressed to justify $1099 for a $599 watch and a $500 band. In my opinion Apple should have decoupled the watch and the bands and sold them separately. So the Apple Watch packaging would only come with the body of your choosing and the charger. then sell all of the bands individually.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 56 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Anything comes from Apple is special: Aluminum, Steel and even Gold..or in last iPhone 6/6+, screen which crashed like crazy.

really? Mine works fine?

• Reply 57 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

really? Mine works fine?

I had iPhone since 3G and this is the only one that scratched a lot...hair line scratches. Look under the sun.

• Reply 58 of 114
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PopinFRESH View Post

I fully grasp that things cost money. However the prices for the differentiation in product do seem a little out there. The price difference from the Apple Watch Sport to Apple Watch is about what I expected and would definitely be willing to pay. However asking ~$500 for a stainless steel link band is a little beyond justification in my eyes. Also the fact that they only offer the Space Black version with the stainless steel link band is also disappointing as I might have considered getting one with a black sport band, then later if the prices of the link band dropped a bit I would pick one up.

I think this pricing structure will end up pricing quite a few people out of buying one. I may still consider getting one of the Space Grey Apple Watch Sport but I'd be very hard pressed to justify $1099 for a $599 watch and a $500 band. In my opinion Apple should have decoupled the watch and the bands and sold them separately. So the Apple Watch packaging would only come with the body of your choosing and the charger. then sell all of the bands individually.

-PopinFRESH

Have you ever looked at how much watch straps cost for decent watches?  

Here's the strap I currently have on my Breitling - http://www.authenticwatches.com/breitling-24-20-brown-crocodile-deployment-straps.html#.VP30e0I6vTw

$595.

The steel bracelet on my Omega - http://www.authenticwatches.com/omega-seamaster-bracelet-1502-824.html#.VP30tEI6vTw

$695.

The strap on my Baume & Mercier - http://www.authenticwatches.com/baume-et-mercier-strap-mx0037gt.html#.VP30-0I6vTw

$395.

Nice things cost money.  Lots of pricing structures price people out of buying one.  Ferrari's pricing structure prices me out of buying one.

That's life.

• Reply 59 of 114
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PopinFRESH View Post

-PopinFRESH

But they are separate. You mentioned the bands price page yourself.

You have to have A band for a watch, and they coupled the cheapest one in the price. I doubt that you couldn't walk into the store and purchase a watch with only the Milanese loop for $500 + $149.

Edit: It is still more than I wanted to pay, so I'll have to wait to see what I want to do.

• Reply 60 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Have you ever looked at how much watch straps cost for decent watches?  

Here's the strap I currently have on my Breitling - http://www.authenticwatches.com/breitling-24-20-brown-crocodile-deployment-straps.html#.VP30e0I6vTw

$595.

The steel bracelet on my Omega - http://www.authenticwatches.com/omega-seamaster-bracelet-1502-824.html#.VP30tEI6vTw

$695.

The strap on my Baume & Mercier - http://www.authenticwatches.com/baume-et-mercier-strap-mx0037gt.html#.VP30-0I6vTw

$395.

Nice things cost money.  Lots of pricing structures price people out of buying one.  Ferrari's pricing structure prices me out of buying one.

That's life.

Blows my mind. People sure have a lot of money to spend :p

(Good for you! I'm only marginally jealous...)