Apple Watch bands priced from $49 for sport to $449 for link bracelet, chargers cost $29/$39

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
Pricing for accessories for the new Apple Watch was also revealed on Monday, with swappable bands carrying a wide range from $49 to $449. In addition, charging cables will be priced differently for different cord lengths [updated].

Apple's online store returned following Monday's "Spring Forward" presentation, and with it a new accessories page showing the Apple Watch bands that will be available for purchase. Not all bands will be available for purchase separately, as some come only with new Watch purchases.

All separate band purchases come available in both sizes of 38 and 42 millimeters.

Apple will offer the fluroelastomer Sport band with color options of black, black with space gray stainless steel pin, white, pink, blue and green. Each of those will cost $49.

The magnetic milanese loop is priced at $149, as is the leather loop band. The latter's colors are stone, light brown, black, and bright blue.

Also $149 is the black classic buckle. The $249 modern buckle leather band is available in colors of midnight blue, soft pink, black and brown.

Finally, the link bracelet is priced at $449. It's crafted from the same 316L stainless steel alloy as the steel Apple Watch case.

The premium Apple Watch Edition models, which will start at $10,000, come with special bands unique to those models. For example, the sport bands appear to feature matching gold clasps, while the leather bands appear to have gold buckles that match the shade of gold selected for the Watch itself.

Apple also does not list the stainless steel black bracelet separately for purchase.

Finally, the USB to MagSafe magnetic charging cable is priced at $29 for a one-meter cable, and $39 for two meters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Liking that Milanese Loop pricing.
  • Reply 2 of 111
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    i'm not clear. what do you get for the basic $349 model? doesn't a charger come with it?
  • Reply 3 of 111
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

And at the end of the day, as a piece of jewelry this is what gets strapped to the wrists by these lovely bands:

As a smart watch, it sets the bar higher than anything out there. As a fashion statement for people who wear watches and bracelets, it leaves much to be desired.

• Reply 4 of 111
    Hahaha omg. Apple has never ripped people off more than now if people actually pay this kind of money just for a band
  • Reply 5 of 111
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Is there any reason why I can't buy a leather strap for an AppleWatch Sport?
  • Reply 6 of 111
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I looked but couldn't find anything saying you can't. So it looks like any band can fit any watch as long as you choose the correct size. This is nice since I really like the black Sport band for every day and I want a leather one for certain occasions.

• Reply 7 of 111
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

i'm not clear. what do you get for the basic $349 model? doesn't a charger come with it?

Sure but if you want to have an additional charger at say the office or with you when you travel.

• Reply 8 of 111
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

A $10 upcharge for the larger charger is disappointing.

I'm curious if the strap changeout mechanism has a patent, and thus prohibits 3rd party watch bands. Betcha there is. Someone care to give a spin through the USPTO to confirm?

• Reply 9 of 111
    Milanese loop is a winner.

Anything preventing me from putting that on an aluminum Sport? Seems like a worthwhile combo.
  • Reply 10 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    alfiejr wrote: »

Of course it does, just like all of Apple's battery operated devices. But Apple always has chargers for sale. Sometimes a charger breaks. And sometimes you want more than one to keep at different locations.
  • Reply 11 of 111
    Hahaha omg. Apple has never ripped people off more than now if people actually pay this kind of money just for a band

That's just some anti Apple ignorance on your part. Why don't you go and look at high quality bands from other watch makers? You'll see that the pricing can be staggering.
  • Reply 12 of 111
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You have no idea about the luxury watch market.

A rolex leather band cost $500.

A rolex steel band cost $1500.

These prices are not ridiculous.  These are absolute top of the line bands.  We are talking about super high quality italian leather that apple is selling here.

You probably just need to stick to sport + rubber band.  

What do you expect from someone who thinks Chili’s is a fancy restaurant?

• Reply 13 of 111
    pmz wrote: »
    pmz wrote: »

nasserae wrote: »

I looked but couldn't find anything saying you can't. So it looks like any band can fit any watch as long as you choose the correct size. This is nice since I really like the black Sport band for every day and I want a leather one for certain occasions.

hallmansm wrote: »
    Milanese loop is a winner.

Anything preventing me from putting that on an aluminum Sport? Seems like a worthwhile combo.

As long as Apple is selling a particular band separately, and you buy the size for your watch, I.e. 38 or 42mm, it will fit.
  • Reply 14 of 111
    nasserae wrote: »

I may be wrong but I don't think any of the bands come with anodized aluminum connectors, only steel and of course gold. The steal ones probably will fit, but you'll wear the hell out of the aluminum case because steel is much harder. Also the two metals expand and contract differently at different temperatures. It could very well be that you can only get the PTFE bands with the sport model. But I'm not sure what will stop people from doing it anyway.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The Apple Watch just did an iPhone on the watch industry.
  • Reply 16 of 111
    eightzero wrote: »

I'm curious if the strap changeout mechanism has a patent, and thus prohibits 3rd party watch bands. Betcha there is. Someone care to give a spin through the USPTO to confirm?

Um, it's $10. If you can spend at least $399 for a watch, and need another charger, $10 shouldn't be an issue. Why it's more, I don't know, but likely there's a bigger battery in the 42mm model, so the charger puts out more power. Is it worth an additional $10? I don't know, but it's not really a big deal.

You can be sure the strap mechanism is patented on both the watch and the strap side.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    eightzero wrote: »

I may be wrong but I don't think any of the bands come with anodized aluminum connectors, only steel and of course gold. The steal ones probably will fit, but you'll wear the hell out of the aluminum case because steel is much harder. Also the two metals expand and contract differently at different temperatures. It could very well be that you can only get the PTFE bands with the sport model. But I'm not sure what will stop people from doing it anyway.

There's a steel pin in all of the bands, including the ones specifically for the aluminum case, which Apple says is harder and stronger than regular anodized aluminum.
  • Reply 18 of 111
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's rather hard to tell. I'm not sure if Apple is using a proprietary connector for their watch straps.

• Reply 19 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see a lot of complaints about the price of these bands but it seems Apple went all out on quality. I suppose they could have gone less high quality and cheaper prices but then people would be complaining about an overpriced product with shitty build quality. Also it looks like the Sport watch comes with two bands - s/m and m/l. So the Sport watch is actually a good deal IMO and clearly shoots down this idea that Apple is only targeting the 1%. The best value is with the Sport watch and that's probably what Apple will sell the most of.
  • Reply 20 of 111
    melgross wrote: »
    Um, it's $10. If you can spend at least $399 for a watch, and need another charger, $10 shouldn't be an issue. Why it's more, I don't know, but likely there's a bigger battery in the 42mm model, so the charger puts out more power. Is it worth an additional $10? I don't know, but it's not really a big deal.

You can be sure the strap mechanism is patented on both the watch and the strap side.

Actually, from what I just read on the Apple Store App for charger pricing says nothing about watch size for $10.00 price difference. The site says the more expensive one has a 2M cord versus a 1M cord.