Steel Apple Watch collection pricing will range from $549 to $1099 depending on band selection

Comments

• Reply 61 of 114
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

the first gen iPod was $399. the first gen iPad started at $499. the first gen iPhone was $599. $349 seems good to me...

Except those were stand alone products. The ?Watch is an ACCESSORY to the iPhone. You can't even load apps without the iPhone if I understood Tim Cook correctly. What else can you do with it without the iPhone besides tell time? Pretty pricy for a what is a bland, featureless block of glass and metal most of the time. And for all but those with the smallest wrists, $400 is the entry price point. Frankly why would anyone get a smart watch without the biggest screen they could possibly support on their wrist?

• Reply 62 of 114
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I had iPhone since 3G and this is the only one that scratched a lot...hair line scratches. Look under the sun.

ah, I don't know, I've got a cover on the thing since day 1 :)

• Reply 63 of 114
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Except those were stand alone products. The ?Watch is an ACCESSORY to the iPhone. You can't even load apps without the iPhone if I understood Tim Cook correctly. What else can you do with it without the iPhone besides tell time? Pretty pricy for a what is a bland, featureless block of glass and metal most of the time. And for all but those with the smallest wrists, $400 is the entry price point. Frankly why would anyone get a smart watch without the biggest screen they could possibly support on their wrist?

Waiting to actually see one in a Store to judge this.... also, my current inexpensive Fossil (multiple years old...) is 38mm at its widest, and it replaced a 27mm watch. The smaller they are, the less they get in the way of things like walls, doors, and water-filled objects that seem to hide and jump me :)

• Reply 64 of 114
    stepssteps Posts: 11member
    does any one know if there will be a "Find my Watch" capability? This is something I see getting misplaced or stolen more than a phone....
  • Reply 65 of 114
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Blows my mind. People sure have a lot of money to spend :p

(Good for you! I'm only marginally jealous...)

Blew my mind when I decided I wanted to replace the strap on the Breitling.  I had no idea how much these things cost until then!

• Reply 66 of 114
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

But they are separate. You mentioned the bands price page yourself.

You have to have A band for a watch, and they coupled the cheapest one in the price. I doubt that you couldn't walk into the store and purchase a watch with only the Milanese loop for $500 + $149.

Edit: It is still more than I wanted to pay, so I'll have to wait to see what I want to do.

You missed what I said. Yes, you obviously need "A" band for the watch. But they should have packaged and sold them separately. Thus giving people the option to choose which watch body they wanted with which band they want. I already gave you an example of not being able to do what you mentioned. They do not list the Space Black Apple Watch with any other band than the stainless steel link band (for $1049/$1099). That is the option I would prefer, however, with the price of the link bands It's more than I'm willing to spend. Had they offered the watches without a band and sold all of the bands separately I might have considered buying the Space Black watch with a black sport band for ~$650. As I don't have this option I likely will abstain from purchasing one.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 67 of 114
    pjwilkinpjwilkin Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

You don't deserve an ?Watch if you think it's too expensive and would rather get a Pebble Time.

No, I just think Apple has lost it this time, the prices are extortionate

If the prices were $150 less for the watch I might contemplate one, but as it is they really deserve this product to flop at the prices of the watch+band

Apple are doing price gouging, especially given the products probably cost less than 10% of their price to make

• Reply 68 of 114
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    All you people complaining about price makes little sense, since nobody has actually touched one yet.
  • Reply 69 of 114
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Apple Watch. It is just a watch. It is a time keeping device, nothing more. Apple is dressing up to make it more...(a portable computer) but no real specs associated with it like... type of processor, RAM or storage for that matter. They built this device as a companion piece with the iPhone6. If you bought both devices, now you really are blowing your money. Is glancing at your watch easier than glancing at your iPhone? Apple is selling convenience nothing more. The watch prevents you looking at your iPhone but you need your iPhone for the watch to perform certain tasks. Apple has been overcharging on every device they sell under the claim of "they build they best products..." All I ask, be fair in your pricing. The Gold watch is not 100% gold... It is an alloy so why $10,000. Nothing is better than gold. This is all marketing hype. These watches will sell... the lower tiers but, remember, it is a watch and a computer that will go out of date as soon as the next "smaller" processor enters into the mix. If you really what a good watch... maybe a $300 Titanium Kinetic Seiko Watch will do, or a Solar powered Citizen Watch. They charge themselves up while you wear it.

• Reply 70 of 114
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    steps wrote: »
    does any one know if there will be a "Find my Watch" capability? This is something I see getting misplaced or stolen more than a phone....

How would it connect to give its own location if it's separated from the phone ? I guess if it was hooked to the thefts one then I hope there's a way to do this and disabled it
  • Reply 71 of 114
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    1983 wrote: »
    The stainless-steel versions (my personal favourite) starting price is quite a lot higher than I was expecting, if I buy I'll have to go with the aluminium.

That's weird. The starting price for the stainless steel, particularly with the Milanese loop, is lower than I was expecting.
  • Reply 72 of 114

"Anything comes from Apple is special: Aluminum, Steel and even Gold..or in last iPhone 6/6+, screen which crashed like crazy."

Whaaa?

?Unless instead of "crashed" you meant "cracked", which was only really a problem for fat-asses who stuck them in their back pockets then sat their fat asses on top of them. Anything would crack under that kind of force.

• Reply 73 of 114

The stainless steel version. I like titanium. It is lighter. I wonder why Apple did not go titanium. They seem to be pushing a thin Macbook that is only 2 pounds in weight. Steel is a bit heavy. Well, I guess it cost too much to manufacture.    

• Reply 74 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steps View Post

My thoughts exactly. Remember when people were having their iPods snatched when the snatchers saw the white (and very painful) earbuds?

Now this thing is even more easily stolen, ripped right off your wrist (esp. ones with just magnetic bands).

• Reply 75 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpcutter View Post

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Apple Watch. It is just a watch. It is a time keeping device, nothing more. Apple is dressing up to make it more...(a portable computer) but no real specs associated with it like... type of processor, RAM or storage for that matter. They built this device as a companion piece with the iPhone6. If you bought both devices, now you really are blowing your money. Is glancing at your watch easier than glancing at your iPhone? Apple is selling convenience nothing more. The watch prevents you looking at your iPhone but you need your iPhone for the watch to perform certain tasks. Apple has been overcharging on every device they sell under the claim of "they build they best products..." All I ask, be fair in your pricing. The Gold watch is not 100% gold... It is an alloy so why $10,000. Nothing is better than gold. This is all marketing hype. These watches will sell... the lower tiers but, remember, it is a watch and a computer that will go out of date as soon as the next "smaller" processor enters into the mix. If you really what a good watch... maybe a $300 Titanium Kinetic Seiko Watch will do, or a Solar powered Citizen Watch. They charge themselves up while you wear it.

Dear Troll,

Please check out the following: http://slashdot.org/story/01/10/23/1816257/apple-releases-ipod

You'll find similar idiots to you saying the same thing about the original iPod.....and how did that turn out?

• Reply 76 of 114

Unfortunately (depending on perspective) the Space Grey 42mm is the only one I am interested in. Guess I will be paying full price for admission.

• Reply 77 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

That's weird. The starting price for the stainless steel, particularly with the Milanese loop, is lower than I was expecting.

I'm with you, I was expecting the Milanese to be the second most-expensive band behind the link one, not the second least-expensive one.

• Reply 78 of 114

Well,

I guess you disagree with my opinion, so be it. I have 3 iPods, Nostromo, and I still use them while I work. But where are the iPods now... the classic is gone because Apple could not find replacement parts.That is what Tim says but no,not really. The tech that was developed for the iPod got incorporated into the iPhone. They use flash storage for the iPhone but could not apply that tech into the iPods. The reason is the iPod Classic  was not a money maker anymore. It is all about the money.

What is your point other that trying to insult me by referring to me as an idiot. I can debate you if wish but without the insults. This is an open forum for exchange of opinions which I am entitled. So, disagree... it is your right. Tell me why you disagree. 

• Reply 79 of 114
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

That's right. The watch costs a little less than the new MacBook...cool. 

wait -- where can i get the new MacBook for $349 or $549? cuz those are the watches I'm gonna buy.

• Reply 80 of 114
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PopinFRESH View Post

I fully grasp that things cost money. However the prices for the differentiation in product do seem a little out there. The price difference from the Apple Watch Sport to Apple Watch is about what I expected and would definitely be willing to pay. However asking ~$500 for a stainless steel link band is a little beyond justification in my eyes. Also the fact that they only offer the Space Black version with the stainless steel link band is also disappointing as I might have considered getting one with a black sport band, then later if the prices of the link band dropped a bit I would pick one up.

I think this pricing structure will end up pricing quite a few people out of buying one. I may still consider getting one of the Space Grey Apple Watch Sport but I'd be very hard pressed to justify $1099 for a $599 watch and a $500 band. In my opinion Apple should have decoupled the watch and the bands and sold them separately. So the Apple Watch packaging would only come with the body of your choosing and the charger. then sell all of the bands individually.

$500 for an ultra high-quality metal men's watch band isn't crazy. it takes the machines 9 hours to make the pieces alone, plus manual time after that.

maybe you just aren't in the market for a high quality watch band? it's fine if you aren't -- thats what the cheap ones are for.