Apple looks to 'reinvent the notebook' with all-new 12" MacBook with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 169
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    I love the look of it, and as somebody with an iMac, I'd definitely find this useful, as I want something portable but not as my primary machine though using OS X )

I do think Intel deserves quite a bit of credit for making this possible. Without their efficiencies the end result of what %uF8FF has done would not have been possible. They'd need the fan, they'd need to be bigger etc. They couldn't be retina etc..
  • Reply 62 of 169

I'm assuming ? will bring out a 14/15 inch version of this within a year. Sure it'll mess up the narrative that it's sized around the keyboard but that'd sell like hotcakes I'm sure.

(Dell's XPS 13 in the 11inch clamshell is similar -  Im sure they too expect to do a 15/13 version.)

• Reply 63 of 169
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

One more thing... $80 to add a full-size USB port and an HDMI port. Are you ****ing kidding me? Damn thing costs more than an Apple TV.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=51

• Reply 64 of 169
    vulcan1vulcan1 Posts: 56member

480p FaceTime is not reinventing, Mr.Cook! That's a big let down! 

• Reply 65 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

One more thing... $80 to add a full-size USB port and an HDMI port. Are you ****ing kidding me?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=51

That, I have to say, is ridiculous. They should sell them below cost if necessary and cross-subsidise through sales of the Macbook - would look better! I've only just got over paying for those retched Thunderbolt dongles.. 

Frankly I suspect most of these dongles end up in a drawer and never really get used, but this is the first time there's literally zero USB>

• Reply 66 of 169
    hawksehawkse Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Also, no-one here cares that we've lost MagSafe?

Oh, I do. Living in a household with children the MagSafe plug has saved our ageing 2007 White MacBook countless times. No MagSafe, no purchase.

• Reply 67 of 169
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    factor70 wrote: »
    I agree with Scotty321...this is ridiculous. Can anyone else just be HONEST about the ridiculous direction Apple is going when it comes to notebooks? Of course, loyal Apple fans will be giddy about this because it's another new shiny consumer-grade toy. Yet another product from Apple that will not allow me to do real work. How can ANYONE say that ONE port on a notebook is acceptable?? Stop blindly defending Apple no matter what they do!

For those of you who talk about the "pro" options - we have limited options there as well. The 13" model is a non-starter...there is nothing "pro" about it. And the 15" screens are just too small for those of us (developers, creative professionals, etc) who need a LARGE, high resolution screen.

Apple now makes gigantic phones, but continues to decrease the size and functionality of their notebooks. And now more god damn dongles to buy. What a joke.

I'd be lying if I said Windows PCs are a better option, because they are still far worse (IMO) than anything Apple makes. Still, that does not mean Apple should be abusing their loyal professional base with this crap!

Of course you poisoned the well by saying we should ignore the pro options that have lots of ports.

As for the 17inch. If Apple were selling those at a decent rate when they had them they wouldn't have got rid. Clearly they weren't.

Pro tip you can attach an external monitor.
  • Reply 68 of 169
    Apple is always removing old and unused technology. People always get mad. Then they buy it anyway.
  • Reply 69 of 169
    frank777 wrote: »
    I assume Apple will sell a companion hub for docking at home, but it will be interesting to see what the mobile solution looks like for those who want to plug in a USB device and charge the computer at the same time.

Also, no-one here cares that we've lost MagSafe?

I love MagSafe and use it all the time. However, it's for the older laptops that usually needed to be charging more than not. The new MB is designed to be free ranging more then plugged in. My MBP is used severaL hours a day with nothiing, nada, zero plugged into any of its ports thanks to Wifi giving me a virtual network. Welcome to the future.
  • Reply 70 of 169
    almondrocaalmondroca Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

One more thing... $80 to add a full-size USB port and an HDMI port. Are you ****ing kidding me? Damn thing costs more than an Apple TV.

I'm sure Monoprice will sell a cheaper alternative, though the adapter looks bulky.

• Reply 71 of 169
    WAIT WHAT? THE AIR STILL EXISTS?

The Notebook People Love™
  • Reply 72 of 169
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Of course you poisoned the well by saying we should ignore the pro options that have lots of ports.

As for the 17inch. If Apple were selling those at a decent rate when they had them they wouldn't have got rid. Clearly they weren't.

Pro tip you can attach an external monitor.

Oh yeah, please explain to me how you're going to attach an external monitor on your cross-country flight? Or how you're going to carry your external monitor over to the coffee shop down the road? Or maybe you're somehow going to explain to me how you're going to ship your external monitor to you at the hotel you're staying at in another country? Get a clue, dude. If you're not a MOBILE PROFESSIONAL, then don't make comments about what you DO NOT KNOW.

• Reply 73 of 169
    factor70factor70 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

That, I have to say, is ridiculous. They should sell them below cost if necessary and cross-subsidise through sales of the Macbook - would look better! I've only just got over paying for those retched Thunderbolt dongles.. 

Frankly I suspect most of these dongles end up in a drawer and never really get used, but this is the first time there's literally zero USB>

Below cost would be $2.  They make these for $1 in China.

• Reply 74 of 169

OK.   I like the form factor.   How do I connect my new 12" MacBook to my existing 27" Thunderbolt display?

• Reply 75 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    What on earth is a "mobile professional" anyway?
  • Reply 76 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

What on earth is a "mobile professional" anyway?

A person who desires to work productively on the road.  For example, someone who designs web sites, or a person who develops custom software, or edits videos.  The list goes on.  Another definition would be - someone who is bothered by Apple's latest laptops, and the removal of the 17" model from their product line.  If those changes bother you, then you're likely a "mobile professional".

• Reply 77 of 169

I'm not crazy about needing dongles for I/O, but I do understand that a lot of personal-use types don't really need them.

For travel/business use, where connection to projectors/USB/wired ethernet is relatively common, I think there is an opportunity for some manufacturer to do a mobile integrated multi-I/O dock+power adapter here. Even the separate power adapter and multiple display dongles I carry for my 13" MBP takes a fair amount of space. Seems to me a unit somewhat bigger than a typical power adapter that does all these things would not be a big deal to always carry with you. (And hopefully it could be +/- $100).

So, how about it, 3rd party people? Kanex? Belkin? Sonnet? Anybody?

PS: maybe you could do a "mag-safe" style magnetic connector on the AC side like my deep fryer does:

• Reply 78 of 169
    scotty321 wrote: »
    You're a fool, asdasd. Oh yeah, please explain to me how you're going to attach an external monitor on your cross-country flight? Or how you're going to carry your external monitor over to the coffee shop down the road? Or maybe you're somehow going to explain to me how you're going to ship your external monitor to you at the hotel you're staying at in another country? Get a clue, dude. If you're not a MOBILE PROFESSIONAL, then don't make comments about what you DO NOT KNOW.

Lol. I now use my company supplied iMac but when I was contracting I had a 17" until it was stolen. Then I had a 15". For the times you need to work in transit the difference between a 17" and a 15" isnt all that spectacular and for the most part you can connect to externals.

Look. If the 17" MBP was so essential to the mobile professionals that they always bought it then it wouldn't have been discontinued. Apparantly not. Many people bought the 15". Very few bought the 17".

Also this is a discussion on the MB a device for consumers. If you think Apple are going to remove ports on the MBP you are wrong.
  • Reply 79 of 169
    Also the 17" just did not fit on british trains.
  • Reply 80 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Lol. I now use my company supplied iMac but when I was contracting I had a 17" until it was stolen. Then I had a 15". For the times you need to work in transit the difference between a 17" and a 15" isnt all that spectacular and for the most part you can connect to externals.

Look. If the 17" MBP was so essential to the mobile professionals that they always bought it then it wouldn't have been discontinued. Apparantly not. Many people bought the 15". Very few bought the 17".

Also this is a discussion on the MB a device for consumers. If you think Apple are going to remove ports on the MBP you are wrong.

Asdasd - the fact that you at least had a 17" MBP gives you credibility in my eyes. :)  HOWEVER, sales should not ALWAYS determine what Apple sells.  There are certain products that don't sell very well but fit a need with their consumers.  I don't think the Mac Pro is a big seller, but they are at least trying to keep that demographic happy.  A company with $150 billion in surplus cash could certainly keep a few more products around to keep everyone happy.  If I HAVE TO, I'll get the 15" as my aging 2009 17" will not cut it for too much longer.  Sorry you got your 17" stolen...that sucks.