Apple Watch's IPX7 water resistance good for washing hands, but not for swimming

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
One of the last remaining questions surrounding the Apple Watch was answered Monday, when Apple revealed that its forthcoming wearable would be rated to the IPX7 waterproofing standard.

Under the IPX7 designation, the Apple Watch will be able to withstand immersion in water up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. This means that a session in the shower, getting caught in the rain, or washing your hands will not cause damage, but prolonged exposure -- such as swimming -- would be harmful.

Apple says that users "can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing [their] hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended." The water resistance rating applies equally to each model of the watch.

IPX7 is a common rating for small portable electronics that are designed for use outdoors, but are not considered "rugged." Many handheld GPS units, for example, carry IPX7 ratings.

Apple will begin taking pre-orders for the Apple Watch on April 10, with shipping slated to begin on April 24. The Sport model will start at $349, with the base price rising to $599 for the stainless steel variant and $10,000 for the luxe Edition version.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    "This means that [B]a session in the shower[/B], getting caught in the rain, or washing your hands [B]will not cause damage,[/B] but prolonged exposure %u2014 such as swimming %u2014 would be harmful."

Nope.
    Would definitely be taking a huge risk of damage to wear an IPX7 watch in the shower.
    RacerhomieX
  • Reply 2 of 137
    That's a deal breaker for me.
  • Reply 3 of 137
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post

You swim with watch every day?

RacerhomieX
  • Reply 4 of 137
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Who the hell needs to wear their watch in the shower?
  • Reply 5 of 137
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

IPX7 should cover the watch for a :30 swim, or a bath, or a hot tub session, or a dip with the Polar Bear Club. I theoretically could wear on a light surf day, since the watch is not likely to be submerged below 3 feet, for any length of time, as well as sailing, kayaking, boating, etc.

The fact that Apple specifically has the following disclaimer suggests that they are prepared to refuse warranty service for water damaged watches, and that they made no real effort to water proof a watch designated as the "SPORT" model: "Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended."

This is a deal breaker for me. The one place I could really have justified the Apple watch was for use at the beach and on the water. But if submerging it any longer than washing my hands is "not recommended" then I can't take the risk Apple will not honor the warranty.

• Reply 6 of 137
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

No kidding! I take my Rolex off before shower.

RacerhomieX
  • Reply 7 of 137
    kmareikmarei Posts: 178member
    "Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter."

How can it take that but have issues with the shower?

Who takes his watch in the shower?
    Anyone with a half decent watch that is water proof
    Rolex, Tag, etc
    Heck even Casios and Seikos are waterproof
    Most modern watches can handle up to 50ft of water
    So not diving underwater, but swimming, snorkeling, showering etc
    The only time I take my pebble off is when I charge it on Sunday night
    Otherwise I have it on all the time
  • Reply 8 of 137
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    I suppose this will work for runners or cyclists; but not for multisport enthusiasts. I guess the Garmin Fenix 3 will have to do.
  • Reply 9 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Better question is "who might accidentally wear their watch in the shower?" Answer, almost anyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

You swim with watch every day?

The watch has "Sport" in the name.

Swimming is a common sport, isn't it?

Seems reasonable one might want to wear a watch while working out—running, swimming, etc.

• Reply 10 of 137
    kmareikmarei Posts: 178member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    IPX7 should cover the watch for a :30 swim, or a bath, or a hot tub session, or a dip with the Polar Bear Club. I theoretically could wear on a light surf day, since the watch is not likely to be submerged below 3 feet, for any length of time, as well as sailing, kayaking, boating, etc.

The fact that Apple specifically has the following disclaimer suggests that they are prepared to refuse warranty service for water damaged watches, and that they made no real effort to water proof a watch designated as the "SPORT" model: "Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended."

This is a deal breaker for me. The one place I could really have justified the Apple watch was for use at the beach and on the water. But if submerging it any longer than washing my hands is "not recommended" then I can't take the risk Apple will not honor the warranty.

My issue is on one hand they say it's ipx7
    The the next they say don't submerege it
    So which is it?
  • Reply 11 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I thought Tim Cook said he wore his in the shower? Microsoft Band is water resistant but it too says not to submerge the device in water.
  • Reply 12 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Nope!

IPX7 means immersed 1 meter under water (motionless) for up to 30 minutes.

The action of swimming (moving the watch) is a much greater water resistance strain. If the watch is moved around, forget about 30 minutes and think more like 1 or 2 minutes. A shower stream hitting the watch directly on a vulnerable spot would be even more risky.

• Reply 13 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

"Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter."

How can it take that but have issues with the shower?

Who takes his watch in the shower?

Anyone with a half decent watch that is water proof

Rolex, Tag, etc

Heck even Casios and Seikos are waterproof

Most modern watches can handle up to 50ft of water

So not diving underwater, but swimming, snorkeling, showering etc

The only time I take my pebble off is when I charge it on Sunday night

Otherwise I have it on all the time

Congratulation, Pebble man...Monotone display or shitty color watch...really? Please.

• Reply 14 of 137
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Would definitely be taking a huge risk of damage to wear an IPX7 watch in the shower.

Not when Tim Cook is on record as having said he wears his watch in the shower all the time. That's all I need to play for the genius at the Apple Store when I take it in for replacement due to water damage.

• Reply 15 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Better question is "who might accidentally wear their watch in the shower?" Answer, almost anyone.

The watch has "Sport" in the name.

Swimming is a common sport, isn't it?

Seems reasonable one might want to wear a watch while working out—running, swimming, etc.

Diving is also sport...just saying. Again, Apple watch is not for everyone. So buy what fits your need...maybe black and white Pebble or POS Samsung Gear.

• Reply 16 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought Tim Cook said he wore his in the shower? Microsoft Band is water resistant but it too says not to submerge the device in water.

Thought I heard that somewhere too (so I'm disappointed with IPX7). Obviously they are not advertising that as what is acceptable though.

In any case, if his gets wet and stops working, they just hand him a new one. We will not get that kind of customer service. :-)

• Reply 17 of 137
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Water proof, internal gps, rich phone free mode etc.. Version 2 ;) Didn't see that MacBook coming, btw.
  • Reply 18 of 137
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

You know Apple is just being cautious, right? There are plenty of watches people use for swimming that only have an IP67 or IPX7 rating. Apple doesn't want you to take that chance, but if it withstands being submerged for 30 minutes at a 1M depth I would have no problem swimming a few laps.
  • Reply 19 of 137
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Well, the only sport I play (anymore, anyways) is golf, so this should work out just fine for me. :)

• Reply 20 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Not when Tim Cook is on record as having said he wears his watch in the shower all the time. That's all I need to play for the genius at the Apple Store when I take it in for replacement due to water damage.

Good luck with that. Honestly, it might be fine a few times (certification requires it pass only one test.)

But if you really do plan to wear it in the shower every day, you might want to wait for reassurance and a better spec from Apple.