Apple's new 12" MacBook uses iPad-style power brick, brings new USB-C breakout accessories

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roake View Post

So the cost of this MacBook is actually $79 more.

This is the first move that I have seen Apple make that I that was effing SLIMY since I moved back into their ecosystem in 2007.

WTF, Apple?

$79 more? More than what? It's a new category, not Macbook Air. Did you know that? BTW, it's retina Macbook while Air is not. I really want one, especially the Gold one. Damn..

• Reply 22 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

MagSafe was an amazing 

True, but if it fits as "snugly" as the Lightning cables and connectors do on my iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2, then I stand by my opinion. The MagSafe will release if pulled at any angle. Like the Lightning connector, a USB-C connector will only release when pulled (mostly) "straight" out. If you pull on it at an angle, there is a significant chance of damage to the port and/or cable.

No one complained about Lightning connector usage. So, I don't think this USB-C connector would be an issue. 

• Reply 23 of 113
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

$80 for a short adapter cable? Prices are getting outrageous.

• Reply 24 of 113
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    I think they assumed people wanted the 3.5mm jack more than a second USB port.

Would they be correct in that assumption?

If they had asked me... I would have suggested 2 USB ports and 0 headphone jacks.

We have Bluetooth headphones to eliminate the 3.5mm headphone jack... but there is no similar replacement for USB yet.
  • Reply 25 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Would they be correct in that assumption?

If they had asked me... I would have suggested 2 USB ports and 0 headphone jacks.

We have Bluetooth headphones... but there is no similar replacement for USB yet.

Naah, I'd have said one USB port, one headphone jack. Bluetooth headphones aren't bad but I prefer my wired studio set.

The good thing is Apple makes laptops for all of us.

• Reply 26 of 113
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

MagSafe was an amazing, if under-appreciated, feature. I'm a careful person and still it saved me several times from ruining a power cord or crashing an expensive computer onto a hard tile floor. I feel as if the loss of MagSafe is a significant step backwards.

If this is a real concern, I expect a third-party solution consisting of a short cable with a USB-C connector on one end and a MagSafe-like connection at the other. Nobody says the MagSafe needs to be right at the laptop itself. But with the laptop being so light, would it have enough weight to withstand a tug on the cable, even if there was a magnetic connection? Maybe that was part of Apple's research.

• Reply 27 of 113
    Why did they go for USB-C and not Lightening???
  • Reply 28 of 113
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

that doesn't seem to work - I would want it to connect my Apple monitors - 

A fully USB-C compliant port also carries Displayport, which is what your monitor uses. Or more precisely Displayport over Thunderbolt. But as of now, HDMI and VGA are the only two adapters Apple sells.

• Reply 29 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

A fully USB-C compliant port also carries Displayport, which is what your monitor uses. Or more precisely Displayport over Thunderbolt. But as of now, HDMI and VGA are the only two adapters Apple sells.

thanks - seems like an odd omission - for the new macbook not to be able to be connected to Apple's own monitors...

• Reply 30 of 113

The Apple blurb says "provides charging, speedy USB 3 data transfer and video output" through the USB-C port - but is this at the same time? I can't tell from the single image they have up on the Apple store for the new MacBook power supply, but I'm guessing that it has just a single USB-C port, so when that's plugged in directly, the port is only being used for power.

So with one of those expansion dongles you can charge the MacBook through it's USB-C dongle port (attached to the power supply) and squirt video out of the DVI port - at the same time? And even connect an external drive / thumb drive via the 'legacy' USB on the dongle at the same time as well??

Can anyone confirm?

• Reply 31 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AstroFish View Post

The Apple blurb says "provides charging, speedy USB 3 data transfer and video output" through the USB-C port - but is this at the same time? I can't tell from the single image they have up on the Apple store for the new MacBook power supply, but I'm guessing that it has just a single USB-C port, so when that's plugged in directly, the port is only being used for power.

So with one of those expansion dongles you can charge the MacBook through it's USB-C dongle port (attached to the power supply) and squirt video out of the DVI port - at the same time? And even connect an external drive / thumb drive via the 'legacy' USB on the dongle at the same time as well??

Can anyone confirm?

USB-C can do data and power at the same time. Actually, all USB cam, but only USB-C can do it in sufficient watts

• Reply 32 of 113
    Funny how the HDMI adapter is more expensive than the Apple TV.

HDMI MacBook adapter: $79
    Apple TV for AirPlay: $69
  • Reply 33 of 113
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roake View Post

So the cost of this MacBook is actually $79 more.

This is the first move that I have seen Apple make that I that was effing SLIMY since I moved back into their ecosystem in 2007.

WTF, Apple?

Nope: they actually tell you "what's in the box" and, as for every other device EVER on the planet guess what? The cable and power supply are included. Reading IS hard.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook/space-gray-512gb

The separate costs above are, as every other time that's written, for purchasing extras needed either for other locations or as damage replacements.

• Reply 34 of 113
    I see the benefits of the single port IF it came with the adapters and IF and ONLY IF they maintained the MagSafe connector.

Otherwise, leave the MagSafe and put the USB-C on the opposite side. It appears they are keeping a Kensington lock slot, but who really uses them and cares about them?
  • Reply 35 of 113
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

What? Why is it $79 more? None of those adapters are necessary for operation. You realize that Apple probably did studies and found that people hardly use their ports, right?

So now you have to buy an adapter to plug in your printer, or monitor, or backup drive and still have your new laptop powered or charging?  That would be a NECESSARY adapter and Apple now charges extra for it.  Pretty shitty on their part.  People hardly use ports?  Are you high?  USB flash drives, printers, power, USB devices like iPhones, iPads, iPods.  In your dream world, none are required?  So you want people to pull power every time they want to plug something in?  Get real.  Stupid move, especially by removing the MagSafe port.  Now you are back to having cords ripped from the only port if someone trips on it.

• Reply 36 of 113
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Does USB Type-C support ethernet? I'm guessing not.

I would argue this is an essential feature for pro and business users, given bandwidth and network security issues.
  • Reply 37 of 113
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

So now you have to buy an adapter to plug in your printer, or monitor, or backup drive and still have your new laptop powered or charging?  That would be a NECESSARY adapter and Apple now charges extra for it.  Pretty shitty on their part.  People hardly use ports?  Are you high?  USB flash drives, printers, power, USB devices like iPhones, iPads, iPods.  In your dream world, none are required?  So you want people to pull power every time they want to plug something in?  Get real.  Stupid move, especially by removing the MagSafe port.  Now you are back to having cords ripped from the only port if someone trips on it.

I think the target customer is someone who uses the computer on battery power, and just plugs in at night to recharge it.

• Reply 38 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Does USB Type-C support ethernet? I'm guessing not.

I would argue this is an essential feature for pro and business users, given bandwidth and network security issues.

USB-C is still regular USB just with a different connector. So any old usb-> ethernet adapter will work. Just at the moment it requires two adapters until someone makes a usb-c to ethernet adapter.

• Reply 39 of 113
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Two USB ports are needed.

• Reply 40 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

USB-C can do data and power at the same time. Actually, all USB cam, but only USB-C can do it in sufficient watts

Ok, so in the scenario where you have one of those dongles with a USB-C, DVI and USB socket, and you plug the MacBook power supply into the USB-C socket, a thumb drive into the USB socket, a TV into the DVI socket (and the USB-C plug into the MacBook!) - could you then stream content off the thumb drive into the MacBook, back out through the DVI cable and have the MacBook charging - all through the same USB-C port on the MacBook? Guess it should work...

Is the thumb drive being powered by the MacBook or the power supply (or do I really need to care?)