Apple looks to 'reinvent the notebook' with all-new 12" MacBook with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 81 of 169
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Factor70 View Post

Calm down?  I don't think he's upset enough.  I'm serious.  The latest Mac Mini is another example of Apple making things WORSE with every new hardware revision.  Fewer upgrade options, slower, and the list goes on.  They are so, so arrogant it's ridiculous.  Thank god there are "whiners" out there making some noise.  They are the only ones who are honest about what Apple is doing.  Sure, this may become a big hit...but Wal*Mart is a big hit too.  So is McDonald's.  Appealing to the unspohisticated "masses" does not mesh with what Steve Jobs believed.

Yeah, comparing the success of a premium notebook that starts at $1,299 to the success of McDonalds is such a winning strategy! So many analogies! Well done there champ! Clearly no one will be able to take on that kind of air tight reasoning and logic. 

You knows whats absolutely filthy about your post? That you mention Apple's "arrogance" (you know, the sheer arrogance of creating the product they believe in instead of taking notes from trolls like you), and in the same breath state that your negative opinion is the only "honest" one about the subject. That's quite the level of hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness you're exhibiting. Well done. Also, your idea of what Steve Jobs "believes" is so insanely twisted, it's not even funny. This product is pure Jobs, and I don't see how the **** you can make such an absurd statement when he's the guy that brought us the Macbook Air. "Unsophisticated masses"? Wow. I mean, wow. Because a company that just sold 75,000,000 phones in a quarter does not make things for the masses, right? You must be some kind of troll-bot set to a level which impedes all logic and honesty. You refer to the new Macbook as if they've just released a $200 POS plastic laptop, instead of a meticulously designed and insanely engineered machine. 

• Reply 82 of 169
    Such bad value.

This is only 2" more than a Retina iPad Air 2, yet weighs more than twice as much and costs over twice as much. It also has worse battery life. It's even hundreds of dollars more than the 13.3" MacBook Air.

I think Apple are desperately trying to get people to buy the iPad or move to the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 83 of 169
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Such bad value.

This is only 2" more than a Retina iPad Air 2, yet weighs more than twice as much and costs over twice as much. It also has worse battery life. It's even hundreds of dollars more than the 13.3" MacBook Air.

I think Apple are desperately trying to get people to buy the iPad or move to the MacBook Pro.

You just fucking made an argument of "bad value" by directly comparing an OSX machine to an iOS device? Are you shitting me?

Of course you're not, simply on a mission to introduce new levels of troll-fuckery every single day. 

• Reply 84 of 169
    factor70factor70 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, comparing the success of a premium notebook that starts at $1,299 to the success of McDonalds is such a winning strategy! So many analogies! Well done there champ! Clearly no one will be able to take on that kind of air tight reasoning and logic. 

You knows whats absolutely filthy about your post? That you mention Apple's "arrogance" (you know, the sheer arrogance of creating the product they believe in instead of taking notes from trolls like you), and in the same breath state that your negative opinion is the only "honest" one about the subject. That's quite the level of hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness you're exhibiting. Well done. Also, your idea of what Steve Jobs "believes" is so insanely twisted, it's not even funny. This product is pure Jobs, and I don't see how the **** you can make such an absurd statement when he's the guy that brought us the Macbook Air. "Unsophisticated masses"? Wow. I mean, wow. Because a company that just sold 75,000,000 phones in a quarter does not make things for the masses, right? You must be some kind of troll-bot set to a level which impedes all logic and honesty. You refer to the new Macbook as if they've just released a $200 POS plastic laptop, instead of a meticulously designed and insanely engineered machine. 

Slurpy, what are you so angry about?  C'mon, I know you're not this nasty in person.  Personal attacks on me don't help the discussion...they just make you look bad.  I'm focusing on Apple's products and they are my OPINIONS.  How does that make me a troll?  My analogies may be weak, or they may resonate with others.  Your vitriolic attacks on me, and everyone else who disagrees with you in these posts reflects poorly on you, and your shaky mental state.  I'm just sitting here making innocent observations about a silly product.  This is not life or death!

• Reply 85 of 169
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    One more thing... $80 to add a full-size USB port and an HDMI port. Are you ****ing kidding me? Damn thing costs more than an Apple TV.

[image]

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=51

What's your point? If you need one then you should figure that into the cost of the MacBook. If you can get away with only having a USB Type-C-to-USB Type-A adapter from Monoprice then use that. How many people need to connect an external display to a small notebook these days? I'm guessing that number is very low so this dongle isn't going to have mass appeal.
  • Reply 86 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Such bad value.

Benjamin - don't you dare express your opinions here!  Slurpy gets quite upset if you criticize Apple!  Apple is infallible!

• Reply 87 of 169
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Calm down?  I don't think he's upset enough.  I'm serious.  The latest Mac Mini is another example of Apple making things WORSE with every new hardware revision.  Fewer upgrade options, slower, and the list goes on.  They are so, so arrogant it's ridiculous.  Thank god there are "whiners" out there making some noise.  They are the only ones who are honest about what Apple is doing.  Sure, this may become a big hit...but Wal*Mart is a big hit too.  So is McDonald's.  Appealing to the unspohisticated "masses" does not mesh with what Steve Jobs believed.

I agree with your point regarding Apple taking away options, ports, etc. However, in this case THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT. Apple hasn't taken away anything.

I've been one of the "whiners" sometimes, too - especially about the glossy screens (which now are much less glossy) and the software changes (iMovie, Final Cut, iWork). But this is a situation of developing a new product to fit in between existing products. I think it's a pretty cool little computer that a lot of people will love. 

• Reply 88 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

What's your point? If you need one then you should figure that into the cost of the MacBook. If you can get away with only having a USB Type-C-to-USB Type-A adapter from Monoprice then use that. How many people need to connect an external display to a small notebook these days? I'm guessing that number is very low so this dongle isn't going to have mass appeal.

SolipsismY - there is no need to personally attack the guy.  You have to admit that $80 is a little high for an adapter that is manufactured for $5 in China.  I know there alternatives, but Apple is just being greedy here.  IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

• Reply 89 of 169
    zeetreezeetree Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Apple has literally gone insane. True video editing professionals & graphic design professionals & professional programmers need a LARGER SCREEN, such as the now-discontinued 17" MacBook Pro. But instead, they keep making things smaller. There was once a time when professionals could actually be MOBILE PROFESSIONALS with Apple's laptops. Not anymore. I sure miss the Steve Jobs days.

Scotty321 has the revisionist history bug it seems - as he is magically forgetting that the 17" MBP was discontinued by SJ himself. And SJ was also the one that said a higher PPI count on a smaller screen was much more useful to professionals than a lower PPI on a larger screen at distances where we hold things - like a laptop or a tablet or a smartphone. That said - this new unit is not meant for a video or graphic design professional in anything but casual usage. It's not even called a MacBook Pro. True computing needs professionals are addressed with products calling themselves MacBook Pro's. The unit for Scotty is the 15" MBP. It has a stunning 2880 x 1800 retina display and the connectivity a true pro can use. The old 17" he is reminiscing about had a 1680 x 1050 TFT screen - which has the same pixel density as the 15" bto model discontinued in 2012.

• Reply 90 of 169
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member
    Such bad value.

It's retina which the MacBook Air isn't so that goes someway to explain price.
  • Reply 91 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I agree with your point regarding Apple taking away options, ports, etc. However, in this case THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT. Apple hasn't taken away anything.

I've been one of the "whiners" sometimes, too - especially about the glossy screens (which now are much less glossy) and the software changes (iMovie, Final Cut, iWork). But this is a situation of developing a new product to fit in between existing products. I think it's a pretty cool little computer that a lot of people will love. 

THANK YOU for a reasonable response to my somewhat emotional post.  Slurpy (the defensive guy who posts here) could learn some etiquette from you.  I'd just say that I'm CONCERNED about the direction Apple is taking here and HOPE that they don't extend this design to their other product lines (requiring dongles for everything).  I still think dropping the 17" model was a mistake. Oh well.

• Reply 92 of 169
    sflocal wrote: »

I'm not sure getting rid of the MagSafe was a good idea.  That was great tech and save a lot of ports from being busted out.  I suspect a lot of AppleCare visits on those.

The MagSafe is to die for, but you forget, these new MB don't need to suck on a power source like those older laptops did. Unhook that puppy and stop wall-hugging.
  • Reply 93 of 169
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They’re trying to get rid of right-clicking with Force Click. I really don’t know how that’ll work; this will be the most error prone implementation of something they’ll release.

The trackpad on the rMBP already can be configured with touch gestures, a two finder feather light tap is a right click already, which is about as good as a right click can get. Still looks like nice engineering it'll be straight into the MOMA with this.

• Reply 94 of 169
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    What if you need to use two USB devices like a pendrive and wireless presentation remote?
    Keyspan by Tripp Lite Presentation Wireless Remote Control, Silver, 60-ft. RangeModel Number: PR-US2
    http://www.tripplite.com/wireless-presentation-remote-control-laser-pointer-2-button-mouse~PRUS2
  • Reply 95 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Also this is a discussion on the MB a device for consumers. If you think Apple are going to remove ports on the MBP you are wrong.

They are removing them. No FW or ethernet, no standard monitor out, no DVD. I remember years ago when they switched to DVI they supplied a VGA adapter in the box. Most projectors are still some flavor XGA. I have all kinds of dongles for my rMBP.

• Reply 96 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    They’re trying to get rid of right-clicking with Force Click. I really don’t know how that’ll work; this will be the most error prone implementation of something they’ll release.
    Why do you say that? The uses they showed for Force Click were quite different from right-click (or two finger tap, as large number of Mac users know it). They can coexist just fine.
  • Reply 97 of 169
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

A person who desires to work productively on the road.  For example, someone who designs web sites, or a person who develops custom software, or edits videos.  The list goes on.  Another definition would be - someone who is bothered by Apple's latest laptops, and the removal of the 17" model from their product line.  If those changes bother you, then you're likely a "mobile professional".

I know plenty of 'mobile professionals' (in graphics, web development and video) who happily use a 15" MBP. This new 12" MacBook in no way impedes their ability to get work done.

• Reply 98 of 169
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    factor70 wrote: »
    SolipsismY - there is no need to personally attack the guy.  You have to admit that $80 is a little high for an adapter that is manufactured for $5 in China.  I know there alternatives, but Apple is just being greedy here.  IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

1) IN YOUR HUMBLE OPINON, where did I personally attack anyone?

2) Funny, you don't seem to refer to the people that were electrocuted using cheap Chinese chargers as being greedy when they are the ones that decided that their lives were worth saving a couple dollars over buying a well made and tested charger that has modern safety component. Sure, chances are you're not likely to be killed, but there are several people that would probably tell you that they wish they had spent a little more on one that is well made and tested, instead of buying a KIRF off the street. Unfortunately, they can't be hear today. Good luck with your $5 Chinese charger.
  • Reply 99 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I know plenty of 'mobile professionals' (in graphics, web development and video) who happily use a 15" MBP. This new 12" MacBook in no way impedes their ability to get work done.

True.  But they might be even happier with a 17" rMBP.  ;-)

I do appreciate that you're not freaking out at me like "Slurpy".  What is the deal with that guy anyway?  So mean spirited.  This should be a civil discussion and we all have the right to our opinions.  Jeez.

• Reply 100 of 169
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Did anyone predict this prior to my July/August 2014 posts or do I have the honors of having predicted the return of the long-discontinued MacBook (with a 12" Retina display)?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181778/intels-core-m-chip-announcement-suggests-broadwell-based-macbook-pros-wont-arrive-until-2015#post_2577149

My comment from August 11, 2014:

[I]Actually, I think we see the return of the long-gone MacBook (neither Air nor Pro). That's what I think the 12" Retina model will be, slotted in between the existing line-up.[/I]

And an earlier mention by me here, in July 2014:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181577/apple-incs-double-digit-u-s-mac-growth-contradicts-idc-gartner-reports-of-a-mac-sales-slump#post_2569800