First look: Hands-on with Apple's all new 12" MacBook with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I was still hoping for Touch ID. I want to make Mac App Store purchases and in app purchases with Touch ID. I do like that they finally got gold in the Mac line.

That new trackpad is a winner, using Apple's Force technology from the new watch screen. Still not convinced of the need for a touchscreen on a notebook. They haven't sold well on the Windows side. The extra cost alone will turn people off.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    ds92jz wrote: »
    Intel M isn't that great of a processor.

I always thought of Core M as a tablet CPU.
    This makes the Surface Pro with i3, i5, or i7 look good.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm sure Apple will get crap for only one port but I'm seeing a lot of 'drool I'm getting one' posts on Twitter. Jason Snell said the keyboard is great. And Ben Thompson says the trackpad is "crazy" and "plays tricks on your mind". My impression from the event today is Apple is doubling down on high quality and charging for it. And knowing people will pay for quality.

I thought it was interesting though that we didn't see Dan Riccio or Craig Federighi at all. Jony Ive in all the videos and Jeff Williams on stage. I get sense that in terms of importance Jeff, Jony and Eddy are Tim's top guys and it wouldn't surprise me if Jeff or Eddy are being groomed as Tim's eventual successor.

I haven't been to Apple on this yet, but I wonder how many levels the new touchpad will register. Apple said it was great for things such as calligraphy, though they didn't use the actual word. If it has 256 levels, that would be great! That's 8 bit sensitivity. I had those in my company well back to use with Photoshop and Paint. It was enough, though newer models have many more.

This is also a pretty big trackpad. It covers the complete distance from the bottom of the keyboard to the bottom of the case. Pretty impressive!
  • Reply 24 of 101
    k2kw wrote: »

I'll wait to see a real review before worrying. Windows is a pretty inefficient OS, so we'll have to see how this works out. But it's obviously not intended for heavy duty use.

When the Macbook Air first came out, it was a terrible performer as well. Let's remember that. This is just the first in the line.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    k2kw wrote: »

Is the Surface Pro fanless? Since this has a retina display Apple can't give it specs that bump up too closely to the 13" rMBP. Otherwise what's the point of both devices? Especially now that the 13" rMBP has the new trackpad.
  • Reply 26 of 101
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I was wondering when the "gold" finish would make it to the Mac line.  Probably will make me get the laptop. Very beautiful. Well done! :)

Best.

Agree. Love that gold color. Damn sexy.

• Reply 27 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That new trackpad is a winner, using Apple's Force technology from the new watch screen. Still not convinced of the need for a touchscreen on a notebook. They haven't sold well on the Windows side. The extra cost alone will turn people off.

And Retina display...+++

• Reply 28 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Beautiful laptop but the iSight went from 720p to 480p?!?! No way I would do that as I use FaceTime all the time.

And while I like the idea of single port, I know from my experience that I will wish for more ports.

Definitely going with MacBook Pro. It's cheaper since I won't need several adaptors.

Then continue to FaceTime on whatever you've been doing. Tell me what MBP is cheaper with the same configurations.

• Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is the Surface Pro fanless? Since this has a retina display Apple can't give it specs that bump up too closely to the 13" rMBP. Otherwise what's the point of both devices? Especially now that the 13" rMBP has the new trackpad.

Nope. Fans on the SP scream when it's in use.

• Reply 30 of 101
    netrox wrote: »
    Beautiful laptop but the iSight went from 720p to 480p?!?! No way I would do that as I use FaceTime all the time.

And while I like the idea of single port, I know from my experience that I will wish for more ports.

Definitely going with MacBook Pro. It's cheaper since I won't need several adaptors.

My guess is Apple updated the 13" rMBP for this reason. Gets broadwell and the new trackpad. So if this new MacBook doesn't meet your needs the 13" rMBP is there to fill the void.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Then continue to FaceTime on whatever you've been doing. Tell me what MBP is cheaper with the same configurations.

I'm amazed at how many are upset about the price. Um a lot of engineering went into this product. Doesn't that have to be paid for? It's not like Apple took the existing MBA design and just added a retina display.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm not a big fan of gold looking things or the bling bling culture in general, but damn, this new Macbook looks really nice, especially the gold one. I bet that it even looks nicer in person than in pictures/video.

The new keyboard and trackpad seems real interesting. Apple has always had the best trackpad in the world, and now they have taken a further lead with the new force touch trackpad. 

It's pretty obvious to see that Apple is going to sell plenty of these new MacBooks. The price is decent too.

And people who chime in and whine about the processor are totally missing the point! This Macbook is obviously not meant for heavy duty tasks! There are other models available for those who want or need more power.

• Reply 33 of 101
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ingenious wrote: »
    Exactly.

My first thought during the unveil was that this was Apple's answer to the Surface. And for those of you who will poo-poo this comparison, think about it for a minute.

New MacBook fills the niche between iPad Air and MacBook (Air, Pro). It's extremely lightweight, runs "full" applications, has limited physical connectivity but wide-ranging wireless options.

I think this will be a hit.

Yes. This is a mobile (as opposed to a portable) device. It will over time come down in price ( the air is clearly on the way out) until at its entry level it will be at parity or $100 more expensive than the top level ipad. Apple has got to be looking at the Mac and iPad market and seeing that the Mac is growing while the iPad is not. This is totally a consumer device not a prosumer device. And just like an iPad it doesn't need a USB cable nor a HDMI cable. The MBP is there for the port lovers.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    asdasd wrote: »
    Yes. This is a mobile (as opposed to a portable) device. It will over time come down in price ( the air is clearly on the way out) until at its entry level it will be at parity or $100 more expensive than the top level ipad. Apple has got to be looking at the Mac and iPad market and seeing that the Mac is growing while the iPad is not. This is totally a consumer device not a prosumer device. And just like an iPad it doesn't need a USB cable nor a HDMI cable. The MBP is there for the port lovers.

Yep. My guess is the MBA Will be around for a while until the rMPB will eventually be thin and light enough to replace it. It always felt like the Airs and Pros were getting too close in terms of specs/capabilities. So slowly phase out the Airs and eventually the Pros will completely replace them.
  • Reply 35 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I forgot to comment on it being the first fanless Macbook. That's great! I hate fans, can't stand 'em at all, i like my personal devices to be 100% silent.

And two pounds is a real nice weight too for a laptop.

It's good that Apple is keeping laptop separate from tablet. If you want the best laptop, buy a Macbook, if you want the best tablet, buy an iPad. 

This new Macbook is sexy, and sex sells.

People who like and buy Surface Pros are probably eunuchs.

• Reply 36 of 101
    A nice looking computer but fatally compromised by the single USB-C port. There should be two of them, and a MagSafe; three of them if there's any voltage reason for not having MagSafe on this model.

Maybe they'll combine the MacBook and MacBook Air lines in exactly the format I've described above.

The far nicer computer announced today is the first 13-inch Retina MBP with good external monitor support. The works with 4K and up-to-the-minute HDMI using integrated graphics, without any compromises. No more are power users forced to go 15-inch for a desktop replacement.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    Funny how the HDMI adapter is more expensive than the Apple TV.

HDMI MacBook adapter: $79
    Apple TV for AirPlay: $69

Sleek machine. Glad to see the MacBook lineup back. Now there's no sense in keeping the Air much longer, I predict they drops the MacBook's price to $999 when the Air is discontinued later this year.
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

A nice looking computer but fatally compromised by the single USB-C port. There should be two of them, and a MagSafe; three of them if there's any voltage reason for not having MagSafe on this model.

Maybe they'll combine the MacBook and MacBook Air lines in exactly the format I've described above.

The far nicer computer announced today is the first 13-inch Retina MBP with good external monitor support. The works with 4K and up-to-the-minute HDMI using integrated graphics, without any compromises. No more are power users forced to go 15-inch for a desktop replacement.

Get Air or Pro. You're asking for something most people don't need.

• Reply 39 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tommy0guns View Post

Where does a MacBook end and iPad begin? Imagine and iPad with no touch screen, a non-detachable keyboard, and runs Mac OS.

You answered your own question.  If you need a hint, "[Macbook] runs Mac OS".

• Reply 40 of 101
    libra9libra9 Posts: 1member
    I just registered with your erudite forum.

I have not seen the new "gold" color of the new Macbook, so I am not sure this Jedi mind trick will work. That said....

Having an aversion to the ostentatious connotation of "gold" anything, at first I recoiled from the new gold Macbook. However, if I re-frame it as "copper," it somehow feels much less "bling" and almost "steam punk" rebel-esque. I now think there is one in my future.

Just me.