Video: Apple's 'Spring Forward' event summarized in 2 minutes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Apple's "Spring Forward" event on Monday was jam-packed full of information about upcoming products, including the Apple Watch and the all-new MacBook with Retina display. AppleInsider offers a quick video summary of all the news.

Apple's 'Spring Forward' Apple Watch & MacBook event summarized in 2 minutes from AppleInsider on Vimeo.

The big news on Monday was the Apple Watch, which will go on sale April 24, with preorders and hands-on previews in stores beginning April 10. The Sport version will start at $349, the stainless steel version will start at $549, and the luxury Apple Watch Edition will start at $10,000.

AppleInsider was there live, and had the opportunity to go hands-on with the upcoming Apple Watch in its final form.

In a surprise, Apple also announced an all-new 12-inch MacBook with a high-resolution Retina display and a click-less Force Touch trackpad. Inspired by the iPad and iPhone, it features just one port for charging and connectivity, and it will be Apple's thinnest and lightest notebook it has ever made. The MacBook goes on sale April 10 starting at $1,299.

Our exclusive hands-on look at the new MacBook is also available.

Apple's existing MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lineups were also updated to Intel's new "Broadwell" CPUs. The 13-inch MacBook Pro also gained the new Force Touch trackpad, while the MacBook Airs now have Thunderbolt 2 connectivity. Both models are shipping from Apple starting today.

Apple also cut the price on the Apple TV to $69, and announced that the new HBO Now streaming subscription service will be available exclusively on Apple devices at launch for $14.99 per month.

ResearchKit for iPhone was also unveiled, allowing medical researchers to create applications that will help them study and cure conditions and diseases at a scale never before possible.

Finally, iOS 8.2, with support for the Apple Watch, was released to the public and is now available for download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

More of these video briefs, please. A quick daily summary of the news would be great.

• Reply 2 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I thought the highlight of the event was ResearchKit. Really sad to see bloggers like John Gruber and MG Siegler focus on the gold ?Watch. ResearchKit is Tim Cook basically saying all you people calling Apple a fashion company now, think again'.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought the highlight of the event was ResearchKit. Really sad to see bloggers like John Gruber and MG Siegler focus on the gold ?Watch. ResearchKit is Tim Cook basically saying all you people calling Apple a fashion company now, think again'.

I got choked up by the testimonials in the Research Kit segment and agree it's a terrific thing. It's also the sales of products like the Apple Watch (and at prices that frighten and confuse so many here) that enable Apple to invest time and money into things like Research Kit. Hooray, capitalism! (and I'm NOT being sarcastic)

• Reply 4 of 16
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »

what are you talking about? blogger john Gruber hasn't posted his event write up yet, so how can you say he's focused on the price of the gold? even his pre coverage has been primarily on the steel since it's rightly guessed the gold will be an outlier only.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    rogifan wrote: »

ResearchKit is a huge deal. Check out today's special podcast episode where Daniel who was at the event talks about it even more.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    what are you talking about? blogger john Gruber hasn't posted his event write up yet, so how can you say he's focused on the price of the gold? even his pre coverage has been primarily on the steel since it's rightly guessed the gold will be an outlier only.

Well he posted a link to an MG Siegler Medium post which is basically all about Apple supposedly pivoting to fashion. Jim Darymple was at the event but still had time to post something about ResearchKit on his blog.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It aint just Gruber and Siegler focusing on the gold watch.

Check the threads today:

Sport Watch - 13 comments

Steel Watch - 98 comments

Gold Watch - 218 comments

Just saying...

• Reply 8 of 16
    gtj333gtj333 Posts: 20member
    Love the short summary video - nice job.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    It aint just Gruber and Siegler focusing on the gold watch.

Check the threads today:

Sport Watch - 13 comments

Steel Watch - 98 comments

Gold Watch - 218 comments

Just saying...

I know it's sad really. I don't think the gold watch is that important. For me ResearchKit and the new MacBook are much more interesting than the gold ?Watch. And something I found interesting is Jeff Williams presenting ResearchKit (instead of Craig Federighi) and the MacBook video being 100% Jony Ive. Also at the end of the event when Cook asked Apple employees to stand up and be recognized the only ones he called out by name were Jeff and Jony. Probably nothing to read into but I found it interesting nonetheless.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    gtj333 wrote: »
    Love the short summary video - nice job.

Thanks! We've heard several people say they'd like to see more of these.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Apple Watch Special Event - March 2015 - Keynote HD

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 12 of 16
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Still not even a wif of a new appletv box. The new MacBook is astonishing.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

The biggest story for me from today -- well, I guess yesterday now -- was definitely ResearchKit.  This is a HUGE deal, and is the sort of thing that could make a difference in many people's lives.

Of course, it's not good click-bait, so ...

• Reply 14 of 16
    Two thoughts:

This is yet another Apple event where they showed an image of a line-up of Apple products and in which they intentionally left out the Mac Pro.
    They are obviously doing this for a reason, but I can't begin to guess why. After all the effort they put into developing it, why make a point of leaving it out of the line-up? As a pro who needs that level of computing power, this makes me nervous.

Why is Apple making a $17,000 solid gold watch? If some shamelessly wealthy person wants to spend what for many is a year's wages on a wristwatch, why buy one that will be obsolete within a year or two? Why not get a Rolex? This is like those millionaires who bought diamond encrusted gold covers for the iPad 2. Perhaps I'm the odd man out, but it seems to be that by crawling into bed with such worthless people Apple has unquestionably driven a stake into the heart of the "for the rest of us" premise on which the company was founded.

Apple is now the world's highest-valued company. So what? Just because they can get away with such high margins it doesn't mean they have to. For us old-timers, what we see that remains of Apple is the products. I remember how things were back when the LC, SI and Classic hit the streets. Apple had such a clean, bright and fresh luster at that time. When the first iMac appeared, that same spirit was there in abundance.

Now that Apple is selling $17,000 solid gold watches to the 1% while millions of people are barely getting by %u2013 even here in the States, this has taken quite a bit of luster off the rose.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairwweather View Post

Two thoughts:

One Thought:

Take a breath...

• Reply 16 of 16
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    1h:14m into the event real the announcer says something interesting about your iPhone and ?Watch don’t have to be within BT range in your home providing there is WiFi. I guess that means ?Watch will get your home WiFi setup from the iPhone and then let it connect to your WiFI without any configuration on the device.