Apple Watch bands priced from $49 for sport to $449 for link bracelet, chargers cost $29/$39

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 112
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,611member
    Or maybe I am... but for Sport they only list 10 options and those 10 options none show leather or other bands. While the 20 options for the regular watch they show the leather and Milanese. I don't know, guess we have to wait till they are released and in stores to ask.

    Yes, but since you can buy the bands separately, it doesn't really matter what the preconfigured options are. You can mix and match after the fact, or so it seems.
  • Reply 62 of 112
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post





    I don't agree. Since they sell that band in two sizes, it will fit. There is no indication from Apple that the mounting mechanism for the sport model is any different than these for the SS and gold versions.

     

    Makes sense. I retract my statement, but reserve the right to say I was right if it turns out I am - hahaa.

  • Reply 63 of 112

    Thanks for your response.  The biggest problem I found with Android Wear was that the screen was so small that getting and interacting with information in a useful way was kind of annoying, and I don't see Apple Watch improving on that - and I have yet to discover a 'killer' function for smart watches that is genuinely better than my phone, especially given the robustness of my phone.  I switch platforms several times a year, and have an iPhone 6 right now.  I'm trying to decide if trying Apple's Watch is worth the time.

  • Reply 64 of 112
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

    Is there any word on forward compatibility? If I drop $500 on a strap for the 1st gen model, what's the likelihood that it'll be compatible with the 2nd gen model?

  • Reply 65 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,253member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking. An Apple Watch Sport with a Blue Leather Loop would look pretty sharp. Probably moreso than the other band options like the Milanese because the band is all one color rather than having a steel connector which would clash with the aluminum body.

    I believe that they don't sell those other bands for the Sport model bwcause that's the least expensive model, and they want pricing differentiation. But by selling some of the bands separately, they are telling people that if they want to, they can go beyond the basic offerings.

    One of my watches is gold, but I have a SS braclet with it.
  • Reply 66 of 112

    I've got my popcorn out and watching from the sidelines.

     

    Curious to see how this will all play out. I'm sure it will be a success to an extent, at the least! But, for the first time in years, I have NO CLUE which way this will swing!

  • Reply 67 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,253member
    brian ward wrote: »
    Thanks for your response.  The biggest problem I found with Android Wear was that the screen was so small that getting and interacting with information in a useful way was kind of annoying, and I don't see Apple Watch improving on that - and I have yet to discover a 'killer' function for smart watches that is genuinely better than my phone, especially given the robustness of my phone.  I switch platforms several times a year, and have an iPhone 6 right now.  I'm trying to decide if trying Apple's Watch is worth the time.

    I have the feeling that Android ware was designed for inexpensive watches, with simple hardware. Apple thought about functionality more than price. So Apple has the crown that does work that is difficult to do on the screen itself. That's a major differenciator. If you read posts on forums where most of the posters are Android guys, they will deride the crown. But if you go to watch blogs, they think the crown is a great idea for a smartwatch. So Apple uses if for scrolling, magnification and reductions, selecting, etc. they stated when they first introduced the watch that the screen was too small for pinching and spreading.

    That's where Google got it wrong. I have test equipment that's digital, but uses optical encoders, just as the Apple Watch crown does. I also have a surround processor preamp that does, as well as a digital eq unit. These digital controls work very well, and are able to switch function contextually, as we see with the Apple Watch. That's one major advantage Apple has. It makes their watch so much easier to use, and increases the functionality.

    There are other advantages, but that's a really important one. But another advantage is Apple's developer community. That comunitty is the best developer comunitty out there, for any platform. Some of the samples we say in the presentation were really great. The watch does serve a convenience purpose. I can't wait to see that apps that come out after the watch is released!

    Still, I may not buy the first model, and may wait until next year. I didn't buy the first iPhone either, because it didn't have the features I wanted. I bought the 3G, which did.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,253member
    richl wrote: »
    Is there any word on forward compatibility? If I drop $500 on a strap for the 1st gen model, what's the likelihood that it'll be compatible with the 2nd gen model?

    The mechanism looks to be very well thought out. I would think that it was something that Apple put a lot of thought and engineering into. It's much better than the spring pin connectors we've been burdened with for a century now. So I think this will be their standard.
  • Reply 69 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post





    The mechanism looks to be very well thought out. I would think that it was something that Apple put a lot of thought and engineering into. It's much better than the spring pin connectors we've been burdened with for a century now. So I think this will be their standard.



    Agreed. The standard watch strap mechanism is terribly designed and Apple has solved yet another annoyance simply and beautifully.

  • Reply 70 of 112
    melgross wrote: »
    I have the feeling that Android ware was designed for inexpensive watches, with simple hardware. Apple thought about functionality more than price. So Apple has the crown that does work that is difficult to do on the screen itself. That's a major differenciator. If you read posts on forums where most of the posters are Android guys, they will deride the crown. But if you go to watch blogs, they think the crown is a great idea for a smartwatch. So Apple uses if for scrolling, magnification and reductions, selecting, etc. they stated when they first introduced the watch that the screen was too small for pinching and spreading.

    That's where Google got it wrong. I have test equipment that's digital, but uses optical encoders, just as the Apple Watch crown does. I also have a surround processor preamp that does, as well as a digital eq unit. These digital controls work very well, and are able to switch function contextually, as we see with the Apple Watch. That's one major advantage Apple has. It makes their watch so much easier to use, and increases the functionality.

    There are other advantages, but that's a really important one. But another advantage is Apple's developer community. That comunitty is the best developer comunitty out there, for any platform. Some of the samples we say in the presentation were really great. The watch does serve a convenience purpose. I can't wait to see that apps that come out after the watch is released!

    Still, I may not buy the first model, and may wait until next year. I didn't buy the first iPhone either, because it didn't have the features I wanted. I bought the 3G, which did.

    Thank you for the thoughtful response. I can get behind what you are saying, and am hopeful that the Apple Watch will deliver more.
  • Reply 71 of 112
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    $10.

     

    really?  This is a new low.  




    I think it's a safe bet you will remain the lowest common factor on the forum. It's easy to say something like that to another member behind the safety of your computer. A few quotes for you.

     

     

    “How different would people act if they couldn't show off on social media? Would they still do it?” 

    ? Donna Lynn Hope

     

    “Quoting an old proverb: "An empty cart rattles loudly." she said. meaning, One who lacks substance boasts loudest.” 

  • Reply 72 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,253member

    Agreed. The standard watch strap mechanism is terribly designed and Apple has solved yet another annoyance simply and beautifully.

    I really dislike changing bands. I have to have a very small jewelers screwdriver or similar device to do it. And then it sometimes slips a few times. I do have a special tool for it in my shop, but it's not always convenient to get it. This doesn't need a tool. Vastly better! No scratching the case. And the mechanism won't damage the holes for the pins in a gold case. All of mine are somewhat enlarged and distorted.
  • Reply 73 of 112
    The comments about price make me laugh. IF anything, Apple is underpricing the stainless bracelet. A replacement stainless clasp bracelet for a decent watch will run you anything from $676 for an Omega to $1250 for a Chopard. And those bracelets look, well, junky compared to this thing, which is outright amazing.
  • Reply 74 of 112
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by booboo View Post

     

     

    I think the article is wrong. The $39 charger is 2m long, while the $29 charger is 1m long. It says nothing in the product description for these chargers that indicates that they only work with either the 38mm or 42mm watch.




    Most certainly you are correct.

     

    That would be like saying the iPhone 6 and 6+ have a different charger.

     

    1M vs. 2M long cable. 

  • Reply 75 of 112
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member

    Comparing an Apple watch to a Rolex or similar... I have read bad comparisons but this might be the worst, period.  When you buy a Rolex you pass it down to your children, and grandchildren.  When you buy an Apple Watch you are tossing your money away for a device that will be useless in 5 years.  It is not a 'high quality' timepiece in the same way a classic watch is high quality.  How much does a charge cable cost for a Rolex?  How about those Rolex firmware revisions?  They don't exist for a reason.  High end watches are hand crafted timepieces...Apple watches are amazing mass produced gadgets, which also tell time.  

     

    You buy a Rolex because you have a lot of disposable money and want something you can pass along to your children.  You buy an Apple watch because you have a lot of disposable money and you want something that is cool and fun in our current lifestyle.

     

    Please stop comparing the two.  

     

    Thanks to my father I have a Rolex.  If my wife doesn't watch the checking account too closely soon I will have an Apple watch....;)

  • Reply 76 of 112
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

     

    Well...it's a Big Deal(tm) to me. It is A Big Deal(tm) to me because it feels like Apple is charging(!) $10 because they can, not because of value or cost.


     

    LOL.

     

    This must be the first Apple product you've considered buying if that concept seems alien to you...

     

    :-)

     

  • Reply 77 of 112
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post





    I really dislike changing bands. I have to have a very small jewelers screwdriver or similar device to do it. And then it sometimes slips a few times. I do have a special tool for it in my shop, but it's not always convenient to get it. This doesn't need a tool. Vastly better! No scratching the case. And the mechanism won't damage the holes for the pins in a gold case. All of mine are somewhat enlarged and distorted.



    The band attachment design is very nice. But it's not a new invention. It looks like there's a push button release on the underside to allow the bands to slip off, but I do wonder how often you can switch the bands before the mechanism gets loose.

  • Reply 78 of 112
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

    BY THE WAY --

     

    Where is the data upload cable that so many said was necessary to get the software into the watches, after the diagnostic ports were discovered? 

     

    Is Apple waiting to release that on launch day to keep us all guessing?

  • Reply 79 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,253member
    oskio wrote: »
    Comparing an Apple watch to a Rolex or similar... I have read bad comparisons but this might be the worst, period.  When you buy a Rolex you pass it down to your children, and grandchildren.  When you buy an Apple Watch you are tossing your money away for a device that will be useless in 5 years.  It is not a 'high quality' timepiece in the same way a classic watch is high quality.  How much does a charge cable cost for a Rolex?  How about those Rolex firmware revisions?  They don't exist for a reason.  High end watches are hand crafted timepieces...Apple watches are amazing mass produced gadgets, which also tell time.  

    You buy a Rolex because you have a lot of disposable money and want something you can pass along to your children.  You buy an Apple watch because you have a lot of disposable money and you want something that is cool and fun in our current lifestyle.

    Please stop comparing the two.  

    Thanks to my father I have a Rolex.  If my wife doesn't watch the checking account too closely soon I will have an Apple watch....;)

    I have some pretty expensive watches, but next year, for sure, and maybe even this year, I will buy an Apple Watch. Why? Because it does what my other watches don't. We can see that other very expensive watch makers are now coming out with, yes, expensive smartwatches. If one can afford several five figure watches, they can easily afford one of these, and some will buy them. Quite frankly, a $350 watch isn't expensive. It isn't cheap either, but Apple isn't interested in that market. They never are.

    I think there's a disconnect with some people as to what a watch really is. It's whatever people want it to be. So for people who buy a new phone at a subsidized price of $200 to $400 every two years could very easily want to spend $350 to $1,000 every four to six years, let's say. I see no problem here. I fail to see the problem.
  • Reply 80 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,253member
    mac_128 wrote: »

    The band attachment design is very nice. But it's not a new invention. It looks like there's a push button release on the underside to allow the bands to slip off, but I do wonder how often you can switch the bands before the mechanism gets loose.

    This isn't new? Where have you seen the same mechanism? I'd like to see a link. I see no problem with reliability.
Sign In or Register to comment.