Apple Watch's IPX7 water resistance good for washing hands, but not for swimming

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    macvicta wrote: »
    Who the hell needs to wear their watch in the shower?

Perfect time to let it charge up... one has to unwire for a little while just for one's mental health.
  • Reply 22 of 137
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    That's a deal breaker for me.

and also nothing new.
  • Reply 23 of 137
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Perfect time to let it charge up... one has to unwire for a little while just for one's mental health.

Depending on how fast it charges, how long you take to get ready and show, and how active you are with it, it could be enough time to charge it up and still wear it sleeping. That's how I did my Fitbit Force, but that's a week long battery.
  • Reply 24 of 137
    aaronj wrote: »
    Well, the only sport I play (anymore, anyways) is golf, so this should work out just fine for me. :)

Me too... now if I an just get past the little windmill on one try...
  • Reply 25 of 137
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 wrote: »

This is a deal breaker for me. The one place I could really have justified the Apple watch was for use at the beach and on the water. But if submerging it any longer than washing my hands is "not recommended" then I can't take the risk Apple will not honor the warranty.

just add it to all the other reasons you'd come up with lately.
  • Reply 26 of 137
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Nope!

IPX7 means immersed 1 meter under water (motionless) for up to 30 minutes.

The action of swimming (moving the watch) is a much greater water resistance strain. If the watch is moved around, forget about 30 minutes and think more like 1 or 2 minutes. A shower stream hitting the watch directly on a vulnerable spot would be even more risky.

I'm not sure I understand this. Isn't the "7" rating inclusive of the 0-6 Liquid ingress protection categories? Which include water splashing, and water jets such as from a shower?

• Reply 27 of 137
    desuserign wrote: »
    mac_128 wrote: »

IPX7 should cover the watch for a :30 swim, or a bath, or a hot tub session, or a dip with the Polar Bear Club. I theoretically could wear on a light surf day, since the watch is not likely to be submerged below 3 feet, for any length of time, as well as sailing, kayaking, boating, etc.
    Nope!
    The action of swimming (moving the watch) is a much greater water resistance strain. If the watch is moved around, forget about 30 minutes and think more like 1 or 2 minutes. A shower stream hitting the watch directly on a vulnerable spot would be even more risky.

Plus, soapy water has less surface tension and can penetrate finer openings easier. Now you have water and chemicals entering the watch body...
  • Reply 28 of 137
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    It isn't a sport watch if you can't swim with it, think triathlons. Utter disappointment, is this apple strategy for Apple watch mark II next year. Can't honestly believe it. Basic. How does Casio do it and apple can't - pants!
  • Reply 29 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

...I theoretically could wear on a light surf day...

I would not wear it in the surf, the minimum recommended is 100m due to higher pressures caused by the action of waves.

• Reply 30 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

just add it to all the other reasons you'd come up with lately.

The reasons I've come up with previously have nothing to do with whether I will buy it or not, but whether someone else might not. Frankly if I could use the ?Watch in water, I would have seriously considered buying one. I have an iPhone 5s and want to use ?Pay, and while I don't wear watches generally, I do wear a watch sometimes while surfing so I know when to come in, and I would wear them in places I couldn't really take my phone, especially considering I wouldn't need to carry a wallet, and of course all the other things I might then find use for.

So I had high hopes this would be waterproof after Cook's shower comment, and would give me a reason to embrace it while solving one of my problems. But alas a "Sports" watch that can't be submerged for any length of time is quite a disappointment. Oh well. Maybe I'll find some other compelling reason to buy one.

• Reply 31 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Well, the only sport I play (anymore, anyways) is golf, so this should work out just fine for me. :)

Unless you fall into the water hazard ;-)

Hey, it happened to me once when I was trying to play a bad lie.

• Reply 32 of 137
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Nope!

Wrong. IPX6 tests against water jets:

Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Test duration: at least 3 minutes

Water volume: 100 litres per minute

Pressure: 100 kPa at distance of 3 m

The test for IPX7 covers the IPX6 case because the pressure at 1 m depth is 111 kPa, higher than that of the water jet.

• Reply 33 of 137
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 371member
    Showers apparently are more of a problem for watches than just submersion underwater, as the soap lowers water surface tension and could allow water to access the case more easily. I would not wear a watch with ipx7 into shower.
  • Reply 34 of 137
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post

That's a deal breaker for me.

There are always people looking for a reason not to buy something, no matter how insignificant, misunderstood or just plain made-up the problem is.

• Reply 35 of 137
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    laytech wrote: »
    It isn't a sport watch if you can't swim with it, think triathlons. Utter disappointment, is this apple strategy for Apple watch mark II next year. Can't honestly believe it. Basic. How does Casio do it and apple can't - pants!

Baseball, hockey and arguably bowling are also 'sports', and I'm pretty sure most reasonable people don't expect other 'sport' watches to survive a direct impact from a line drive, hockey stick/ice or an accidental smashing between bowling balls.

Forget water resistance, what about fire? How the hell does Apple expect me to use this watch after crashing a F1?
  • Reply 36 of 137
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

OK, this is probably a stupid question... but does the Apple Watch have a slight "ticking" sound -- if even as an option? I know it sounds crazy, but I kind of like the tick of my mechanical watch when I'm lying in bed and it's otherwise quiet in the room.

• Reply 37 of 137
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Congratulation, Pebble man...Monotone display or shitty color watch...really? Please.

So making fun of the pebble that's been on the market for over a year
    Or the new colour one, which happens to be the most succesful kickstarter EVER Is all you could come up with?
    If the monotone or shitty colour watch maker can make a waterproof watch
    Surely your beloved Apple could match them no?

Yeah the shitty colour watch also has a battery that lasts up to 10 days
    Not 18 hours
    So don't knock them too much, till Apple can match those specs
  • Reply 38 of 137
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    teejay2012 wrote: »
    Showers apparently are more of a problem for watches than just submersion underwater, as the soap lowers water surface tension and could allow water to access the case more easily. I would not wear a watch with ipx7 into shower.

So how come Tim cook can shower with it?
    That's the part I don't get
    Unless he doesn't use soap?
  • Reply 39 of 137
    iphoniaciphoniac Posts: 23member
    Legitimate question: can you have a feature like talking into a microphone and be waterproof? (without having to scream)
  • Reply 40 of 137
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 371member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

So how come Tim cook can shower with it?

That's the part I don't get

Unless he doesn't use soap?

Perhaps he has access to unlimited numbers of them, should they get waterlogged?  No matter. I think I will let mine charge while I take a 1 hour shower. Haha