Apple Watch Sport will cost $349 for 38mm model, $399 for 42mm size

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
The upcoming Apple Watch will carry a $50 premium for the larger screen size, Apple revealed on Monday, with a $349 starting price applying to the smaller 38-millimeter Apple Watch Sport version.

The larger 42-millimeter Sport will be available starting at $399, Apple revealed. It will come in space grey or silver, and with a choice of colorful sport bands: white, blue, green, red, or black.

The device features an aluminum alloy enclosure that designer Jony Ive said "sets a new standard" for look and performance.

Showcasing the Apple Watch at Monday's event was model and activist Christy Turlington, who recently wore the device for a half-marathon she ran in Tanzania. She said using it allowed her to track elevation and altitude while she ran the race's 13.1 miles.

The head of Apple Watch software development, Kevin Lynch, also gave an in-depth look at some of the features of the device. He showed how it can be used for Apple Pay point-of-sale transactions, how it can be used to place phone calls, and how Apple Watch notifications are sent to the wrist.

Lynch also noted that the Apple Watch communicates with an iPhone over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Support for Wi-Fi allows for the Watch to stay connected to an iPhone from a greater distance at home, he said.

In another example, a boarding pass for a flight was saved in Passbook on the Watch, and could be shown at the gate without the need for the user to pull their phone out of their pocket.

Apple Watch will also use location awareness to provide information such as hotel reservations with detailed information. In a demo, a W Hotels app included the ability to unlock the door to a reserved room.

Lynch also used the Apple Watch to reply to a text message with his voice, and was given the option to send an audio recording or a text dictation. A garage door with HomeKit integration was also shown being opened from a connected Apple Watch.

A dedicated Apple Watch app will be built into iOS 8.2 when it launches for iPhone. Users can browse Apple Watch apps in an App Store section of the new software.

Apple will begin taking pre-orders for the Watch on April 10, and prospective buyers can also visit an Apple retail store on that date to get try one on. The devices will begin shipping April 24.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22

I think I will wait until it has 1 week battery life, GPS, 4G and full waterproofing.

• Reply 2 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

So $400 for the men's watch basically. Not cheap.

• Reply 3 of 22

Wow. We learned precious little about these watches. I hope more comes out later. Is the Sport model waterproof/water-resistant? What happened to the testimony about wearing it in the shower? Or swimming? 

And what about the recharge time? 18 hours battery life is great, assuming that allows for all the stuff they demoed it doing all day long. But how long will it take to recharge for those who plan on wearing it to bed?

• Reply 4 of 22
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Wow. We learned precious little about these watches. I hope more comes out later. Is the Sport model waterproof/water-resistant? What happened to the testimony about wearing it in the shower? Or swimming? 

And what about the recharge time? 18 hours battery life is great, assuming that allows for all the stuff they demoed it doing all day long. But how long will it take to recharge for those who plan on wearing it to bed?

All the information you need are on their website including detailed price based on watch and band.

• Reply 5 of 22
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

In Europe its 450 Euros for the cheapest men version and 400 for the cheapest woman version. So if partners want to send their heartbeats to each other, that's 850 Euros in total.

In any case – that's a lot for a category that makes intuitively less sense than when the first iPhone was presented. It would be a nice have to, but I thought if it is 300 Euros max, it could be interesting. For what Apple wants, it's too much.

• Reply 6 of 22
    dlynzzdlynzz Posts: 2member
    I am sorely disspaointed! I had hoped to get one, albeit the less expensive Sport model. But, I don't care for the soprt type band for workday use. After seeing the cost fot the varous BANDS alone, I now realize I will NOT be getting any model. SO sad!! :-(
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Wonder how much the bands will cost.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

Wonder how much the bands will cost.

You don't have to wonder. Check out Apple.com

• Reply 9 of 22
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Wow! I can see that this model is creating a lot of excitement...

• Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

All the information you need are on their website including detailed price based on watch and band.

Thanks, this was obviously not available during the presentation when I made this comment.

However, for a sport watch it is unfortunately disappointing with Apple's disclaimers that it can be worn in the rain and while washing hands, but submersion is not recommended. It's waterproof rating IPX7, which is immersion up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes, suggests that it should be fine for swimming. So this rating tells us little about the real water-resistance capability. I should be able to wear this into a bathtub, hottub, Swedish Ice plunge, etc. at a minimum. So Apple is legally protecting itself, having clearly made no effort to make this watch reasonably waterproof as a "sport" watch.

As for battery life, there's 6.5 hours of audio playback. And only 3 hours of talk time. So that wrist conversation that Tim Cook was so excited about should not happen very often. Otherwise, that watch isn't going to last for much of that 18 hours at all. Especially if you listen to music for any amount of time at all. Not to mention all those notifications, etc. And a 2.5 hour retired time? That things gonna be on the charger a good bit for the heavy user. 

• Reply 11 of 22
    Didn't take long for Apple deniers/haters to come out 'swinging' merely minutes following the keynote.

MarketWatch (no pun intended)
    QUENTIN
    FOTTRELL
    PERSONAL FINANCE REPORTER

"3 reasons not to buy the Apple Watch"
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Thanks, this was obviously not available during the presentation when I made this comment.

However, for a sport watch it is unfortunately disappointing with Apple's disclaimers that it can be worn in the rain and while washing hands, but submersion is not recommended. It's waterproof rating IPX7, which is immersion up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes, suggests that it should be fine for swimming. So this rating tells us little about the real water-resistance capability. I should be able to wear this into a bathtub, hottub, Swedish Ice plunge, etc. at a minimum. So Apple is legally protecting itself, having clearly made no effort to make this watch reasonably waterproof as a "sport" watch.

As for battery life, there's 6.5 hours of audio playback. And only 3 hours of talk time. So that wrist conversation that Tim Cook was so excited about should not happen very often. Otherwise, that watch isn't going to last for much of that 18 hours at all. Especially if you listen to music for any amount of time at all. Not to mention all those notifications, etc. And a 2.5 hour retired time? That things gonna be on the charger a good bit for the heavy user. 

1) If it says IPX7 rating then it is that. It is not a device you want to go scuba diving with.

2) You clearly trolling regarding the battery life. Yes.. a device battery is affected by how you use it.. shocker!!

• Reply 13 of 22
    6ryph3n6ryph3n Posts: 53member
    I really wanted this to be good... I'm usually rushing out the door when Apple releases a new product but I'm just underwhelmed this time. The Timex Run X50 looks like a better buy. For $150/$200 it includes all the major Apple Watch features plus a 2-3 day battery. Apple's can run apps but who isn't going to switch to their iPhone for most apps anyway if they're honest? Maybe it's just me but I feel like Tim really missed the mark on this one. I want a watch with integrated GPS that can BT music to wireless headphones so I don't have to run with my iPhone 6+ in hand. I just don't see what the Apple Watch really offers thats worth getting excited about.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    6ryph3n wrote: »
    I really wanted this to be good... I'm usually rushing out the door when Apple releases a new product but I'm just underwhelmed this time. The Timex Run X50 looks like a better buy. For $150/$200 it includes all the major Apple Watch features plus a 2-3 day battery. Apple's can run apps but who isn't going to switch to their iPhone for most apps anyway if they're honest? Maybe it's just me but I feel like Tim really missed the mark on this one. I want a watch with integrated GPS that can BT music to wireless headphones so I don't have to run with my iPhone 6+ in hand. I just don't see what the Apple Watch really offers thats worth getting excited about.

Quite.

Most of the apps demoed would be just as good on the iPhone, like the
    garage door one. A lot of the apps demoed were very niche and business-oriented, like unlocking your hotel room. The consumer ones were twee and useless, like sending a stupid drawing to someone or your heartbeat. Women and children, I suppose.

Perhaps Slurpy can enlighten us, being a woman herself. We don't have many here.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by username1 View Post

I think I will wait until it has 1 week battery life, GPS, 4G and full waterproofing.

So, waiting for 2025.

• Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclical50 View Post

Didn't take long for Apple deniers/haters to come out 'swinging' merely minutes following the keynote.

MarketWatch (no pun intended)

QUENTIN

FOTTRELL

PERSONAL FINANCE REPORTER

"3 reasons not to buy the Apple Watch"

I'd call those shorters for short ;-).

• Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

In Europe its 450 Euros for the cheapest men version and 400 for the cheapest woman version. So if partners want to send their heartbeats to each other, that's 850 Euros in total.

In any case – that's a lot for a category that makes intuitively less sense than when the first iPhone was presented. It would be a nice have to, but I thought if it is 300 Euros max, it could be interesting. For what Apple wants, it's too much.

The minimum price was announced 6 months ago. So, why on earth were you expecting less than $350 US?

• Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

So, waiting for 2025.

I am 100% fine playing with one in the store and then waiting indefinitely until the watch meets my needs.  The only time I wear a watch is when I am on a distance run and I have a Garmin 610 that doesn't require me to haul around a cell phone to function.  The 610's battery life is annoying but it can last for a month as a watch or around 6-8 hours of GPS usage.

• Reply 19 of 22
    Does anyone know which size watch Christy Turlington was wearing on her slim wrist? That would be very helpful for potential buyers to know.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    What size watch was Christy Turlington wearing on her slim wrist? 38mm or 42mm? It would be helpful to know.