Apple looks to 'reinvent the notebook' with all-new 12" MacBook with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 101 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I think the I/O is fine for this type of ultra lightweight machine. The charge lasts almost all day and usually if you need to use a USB flash drive it is just for the momnet. You simply disconnect your charing for a minute or so. If your usage involves external monitors then dongles are the way you will need to do that. I have a DVI to Thunderbolt adapter so maybe you can daisy chain a couple different adapters together to achieve a connection.

I do find it interesting how short lived Thunderbolt became.

• Reply 102 of 169
    factor70factor70 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) IN YOUR HUMBLE OPINON, where did I personally attack anyone?

2) Funny, you don't seem to refer to the people that were electrocuted using cheap Chinese chargers as being greedy when they are the ones that decided that their lives were worth saving a couple dollars over buying a well made and tested charger that has modern safety component. Sure, chances are you're not likely to be killed, but there are several people that would probably tell you that they wish they had spent a little more on one that is well made and tested, instead of buying a KIRF off the street. Unfortunately, they can't be hear today. Good luck with your $5 Chinese charger.

1) Now that I look back at your message...you were not really attacking the guy.  I apologize.

2) WAIT WAIT!!!  You misunderstood me.  My point was simply that Apple is charging too much for their adapter, and that it is made in China for $5.  I am saying that Apple makes the adapter in China for almost nothing and turns around and sells it for $80.  I *AGREE* that one should spend good money for QUALITY products, but for $80 it should really be made in Germany or here in the USA.  Trust me, I spend way more than the average consumer for quality made products!  I'm happy we cleared this up. :)

• Reply 103 of 169
    t-bonet-bone Posts: 23member
    So why is Apple no longer deploying Thunderbolt on these machines? Unless of course new displays with USB-C that will power this MacBook are released soon. :P
  • Reply 104 of 169
    t-bone wrote: »
    So why is Apple no longer deploying Thunderbolt on these machines? Unless of course new displays with USB-C that will power this MacBook are released soon. :P
    They probably will be.
  • Reply 105 of 169
    Did anyone predict this prior to my July/August 2014 posts or do I have the honors of having predicted the return of the long-discontinued MacBook (with a 12" Retina display)?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181778/intels-core-m-chip-announcement-suggests-broadwell-based-macbook-pros-wont-arrive-until-2015#post_2577149

My comment from August 11, 2014:

Actually, I think we see the return of the long-gone MacBook (neither Air nor Pro). That's what I think the 12" Retina model will be, slotted in between the existing line-up.

And an earlier mention by me here, in July 2014:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181577/apple-incs-double-digit-u-s-mac-growth-contradicts-idc-gartner-reports-of-a-mac-sales-slump#post_2569800

Well foreseen!

Still, there are too many laptops now in Apple's range. An 11", 12" and 13"? Talk about Samsung. Yet no 17", which is the one they should have brought out.
  • Reply 106 of 169
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juliedyan View Post

If I am majoring this fall in Information Systems (light coding), would this new MacBook have everything I need? The one port is worrisome. Also, if I need the Pro, should I wait until they come out with the new one? I start in August!

Hey all - we have a new member here with a question that I would think some of you could have a go at answering. Any thoughts?

Welcome to AI @juliedyan. ;:) 

• Reply 107 of 169

I was a MIS & Finance grad in 2008, I got by just fine with a macbook with worse specs to this one. Your biggest constraint is going to be ram if you need to boot windows in a VM, but 8GB should still get the job done (I think I did it with 4GB in 2007). You won't take anything in MIS that requires crazy computing power.  

Most of your time will be in Word, Excel, Powerpoint. Depending on your program you will probably do some basic programming courses, your school should be able to hook you up with a student license of Windows for cheap. Also, my school had labs and computers for everyone in all the advanced MIS classes so we could use them during lecture. Good luck and enjoy the college experience, MIS is a great program.

• Reply 108 of 169

The multiport adapters apple has on there website can both power your laptop and give you USB and video outputs. Drawback is that they are $79 seems pretty steep to me.

• Reply 109 of 169
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Apple has literally gone insane. 

How can a company 'literally' go insane, it could only be 'metaphorically' insane, to be literally insane, Apple, the corporate entity would have to be a person.

• Reply 110 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Hey all - we have a new member here with a question that I would think some of you could have a go at answering. Any thoughts?

Welcome to AI @juliedyan. ;:) 

Yes welcome @juliedyan.  It's a bit difficult to answer you exactly as I don't really know what you mean by light coding but this is what I use OS X machines for.  I have a 11" MacAir and a 13" MBPro and am one the road a lot giving presentations and writing (using Scrivener for Mac which is a great piece of software).  I am obsessed with keeping the travelling weight down and if I am presenting I take both machines for back up as there are still a lot of AV teams that don't present in Keynote and I won't use PowerPoint which is in comparison rubbish.  I am seriously thinking of selling the MBPro and replacing it with the new Macbook for the weight reason.  I've had no issue at all on the road using the 11"MacAir apart from I would rather spend my day typing into a retina screen.  So, that is nothing at all about 'light coding' but I'd describe myself as pretty much a power user on the road especially graphics in presentations which I use a lot.  Hope this view helps you out at least a little bit @juliedyan.

• Reply 111 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Such bad value.

This is only 2" more than a Retina iPad Air 2, yet weighs more than twice as much and costs over twice as much. It also has worse battery life. It's even hundreds of dollars more than the 13.3" MacBook Air.

I think Apple are desperately trying to get people to buy the iPad or move to the MacBook Pro.

I don't think comparing OS X and iOS machines works.  I have a MacAir 11" which has completely replaced my iPad, it weighs the same, is the same size but sports full OS X.  My back up MBP is heavier and I can see me replacing that with the new MBP so that I can work on retina with a lighter machine.  Horses for courses but comparing OS X and iOS is like comparing Lions and Leopards ;)

• Reply 112 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Well foreseen!

Still, there are too many laptops now in Apple's range. An 11", 12" and 13"? Talk about Samsung. Yet no 17", which is the one they should have brought out.
    Oh crap, he's found a new tenuous criticism to latch on to and exploit for attention seeking trolling purposes.
  • Reply 113 of 169
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Well foreseen!

Actually there's an 11", a 12" and 3 different 13" models (Macbook Air 13", Macbook Pro 13" and Macbook Pro Retina 13"). I personally think 15" is the sweet spot for laptops. Looking forward to the Macbook Pro 15" getting some of the features announced today, but hopefully not the Atom processor.

• Reply 114 of 169
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Such bad value.

This is only 2" more than a Retina iPad Air 2, yet weighs more than twice as much and costs over twice as much. It also has worse battery life. It's even hundreds of dollars more than the 13.3" MacBook Air.

I think Apple are desperately trying to get people to buy the iPad or move to the MacBook Pro.

It looks like the old 2008 model the MBA which first came out in that year.No big deal at all.

• Reply 115 of 169
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member

Am I the only one that do not understand new naming?

Lightest/thinnest MacBook, heavier/thicker Air and then heavy Pro?

• Reply 116 of 169
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Clearly they could have since this notification uses the exact same technology.

In a less useful and more annoying way. Like when Microsoft appropriates something.

Since the composition window is at the bottom of the page it would be forced down while you were writing if the new post was automatically added.

Why? The page could just scroll an identical amount of space. 

Also if you happen to be on a previous page it couldn't very well add the post automatically now could it?

If you’re on a previous page, you don’t care about those posts yet, and thus the argument is moot.

Originally Posted by frantisek View Post

new naming?

The Air’s dead. It just doesn’t know it yet.

• Reply 117 of 169
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by linkman View Post

The Magsafe power connector was/is the best hardware design feature of the Apple 'book lineup in my opinion. It has saved my power connector at least 100 times and may have saved my MBP dozens of times. It is a mistake to eliminate it. I suspect it will be back.

I agree. Nice Macbook, shame about the port.

• Reply 118 of 169
    Smaller, thinner and lighter than the 11 inch MacBook Air. Bigger screen and retina display. More memory. And only $200 more.
    Surely this is going to totally kill sales of the 11inch 256Gb MacBook Air?
  • Reply 119 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Smaller, thinner and lighter than the 11 inch MacBook Air. Bigger screen and retina display. More memory. And only $200 more.
    Surely this is going to totally kill sales of the 11inch 256Gb MacBook Air?
    Why would Apple care? They're getting $200 more.
  • Reply 120 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Why would Apple care? They're getting $200 more.

I'm sure they won't care but placed alongside the MacBook, I can't see there being much demand for the MBAir, unless they drop the price and position it as more of an entry-level machine.