Choosing your Apple Watch: Which size and material are right for you?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member

Which size and weight? None. I've got better ways to spend my money.

I'd like to see this clever technology used though. I'd love to have an inexpensive band I could put around my ankle that'd vibrate for incoming calls and alarms. And I wouldn't mind if it served as a movement sensor for a sleep app.

• Reply 22 of 90
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Oh gosh: yes, we'll decide by weight which model to buy... NOT!

What a silly article!
    Aluminum is easy to damage, witness iPhone 5/5s vs. 4/4s
    People will buy the sturdiest they can afford without flinching given their personal dusposable income, given they have sufficient interest to get one in the first place.

As much as I might like some heft, I'm not going to drop $17k on a disposable gadget.
    Maybe $1k for steel might be debatable if Apple were to make any statements in regards of how many years they expect to support the software in the device.
    Aside from that, it's the sports model, at least the damage is limited if it gets water damage...
  • Reply 23 of 90
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Another lackluster effort by our resident troll.

Seriously Benny pick up your game.  Your trolling has been really weak recently.

Nothing wrong with having provocative ideas. I see where Benny is coming from. I personally see a LOT of problems with the iWatch and it may not sell. Am I wrong? No, because the product hasn't been released and tried by the public. Am I right? No, and for the same reason.

I won't go into the reasons for why the watch may have problems selling. I would love to buy one, but for the price, its a no-go. If I was single and didn't have dependents and all that goes along with that, I'd probably spring for the watch, no matter the cost.

Anyway, there is another rumors site where people are not attacked for their provocative statements and actually entertain ideas based on people having open minds. Here it's ad hominem central where there's very little thinking and imagination required or solicited.

• Reply 24 of 90
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 159member
    42mm SSC with Milanese Loop & Black Sport Band.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Why can't the leather loops exist in the smaller 38 size%u203D How infuriating! (I realise 39 gets the grotesque modern bucket instead but hey.. that really is feminine)
  • Reply 26 of 90
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

It's only trolling if you don't drink the Appleinsider Kool-Aid.

Nothing wrong with having provocative ideas. I see where Benny is coming from. I personally see a LOT of problems with the iWatch and it may not sell. Am I wrong? No, because the product hasn't been released and tried by the public. Am I right? No, and for the same reason.

I won't go into the reasons for why the watch may have problems selling. I would love to buy one, but for the price, its a no-go. If I was single and didn't have dependents and all that goes along with that, I'd probably spring for the watch, no matter the cost.

Anyway, there is another rumors site where people are not attacked for their provocative statements and actually entertain ideas based on people having open minds. Here it's ad hominem central where there's very little thinking and imagination required or solicited.

*eyeroll*

So, you "see where Benny's coming from" eh?  What part of Apple's marketing so far convinces you that they are primarily attempting to sell to women?  I'm very curious about that.

• Reply 27 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    pfisher wrote: »
    It's only trolling if you don't drink the Appleinsider Kool-Aid.

Yeah.. Wutever. Keep drinking your kool-aid.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

Why can't the leather loops exist in the smaller 38 size%u203D How infuriating! (I realise 39 gets the grotesque modern bucket instead but hey.. that really is feminine)

Not sure what's feminine about that, but the Black Classic Buckle is available for the 38mm.  And that's leather.  It's not a loop, no.  But it is leather.

• Reply 29 of 90
    qvakqvak Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

*eyeroll*

So, you "see where Benny's coming from" eh?  What part of Apple's marketing so far convinces you that they are primarily attempting to sell to women?  I'm very curious about that.

You need to read between the lines. And to understand, you would need to accept some "uncomfortable" truths about the opposite sex.

• Reply 30 of 90

Thanks for pointing out they have actual size renderings on the Apple Store App.  I'd kind of assumed I'd be getting the 42mm, but having compared with my existing watches, 38mm will be better for me.

So, 38mm stainless steel with black leather strap and classic buckle for me.

• Reply 31 of 90
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member

Going to start with a sport as this is a first model release. But my wife, who is still very much still in the "I don't get it" camp, only likes the silver case with a black sport band. And of course, it appears that configuration is not available.

• Reply 32 of 90

What's the rationale behind leather? I know it's comfortable but every leather strap I;ve ever had got worn and loose over time.

That plus the ease/quick to put on nature of metal bands make them a no brainer for me.

• Reply 33 of 90
    Quote:

agree.  guy is hilarious.  I feel sorry for him sometimes.

His trolling has really went downhill.  Before it was more subtle and a few of us would actually try to discuss his points.  Now its so obvious that its not even worth replying to him.  

RIP Benny "Troll King" Frost.

We will fondly remember the times when you were a 1st class troll.

Gone but never forgotten.

Benny is like one of those great Soccer players or Football players that hung around too long.  Now they look like a shell of themself running around.  It really is sad.  He really should 'retire' while he still has some credability with his trolling.  If he keeps it up he won't be remember as a 1st class troll but a wanna be troll who stuck around way past his prime.

Consider your trollish tripe-like posts on the other Apple Watch threads I'd hold off calling Frosty a troll.

• Reply 34 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by qvak View Post

What's the rationale behind leather? I know it's comfortable but every leather strap I;ve ever had got worn and loose over time.

That plus the ease/quick to put on nature of metal bands make them a no brainer for me.

Obviously I apologize if this is a false assertion, but my guess is you've never had a really top quality leather strap.

I'd have said the same as you until I got a leather strap for my Omega (strap made by Omega), and the quality is just superb.  It doesn't look any different now to how it did brand new.

• Reply 35 of 90
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Yeah, Apple has made it's $:£ exchange rate worse again too. Used to be $349 = £279, now it's £299. 

I'll wait until I'm in the states next to pick up one of the fancier bands.

When I lived in England during the 90's, prices were established like $349=£349 so not too bad really.

• Reply 36 of 90
    I'm curious about how the pricing structure will play out. The base price of the 42mm SS variant is 599.00 which includes the white or black sport band. If you order a premium band with your watch, do you also receive the default sport band or will you just receive the premium band?
  • Reply 37 of 90
    booboobooboo Posts: 49member
    Quote:

I like the 38MM space grey with Black band.

Yeah, me too. I originally thought I'd choose the 42mm version, but I think that these look too big on the people I've seen wearing them in internet photos.

My other watches are around 38mm - 39mm. I've had several black sports watches with black rubber bands about this same size. I think that would look better on me and be more comfortable---maybe less likely to get in the way of long sleeves, too.

• Reply 38 of 90
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

As much as I find the Stainless model and the Milanese loop appealing, I think the sport watch with sport band is probably far more practical and comfortable for wearing  all day everyday.

Plus, I can buy two of them (one for the wife) for the cost of one stainless with milanese.

Interesting product: first Apple product where you can buy the base model, or the holy sh*t omg expensive model, and get the exact same tech.

• Reply 39 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

As much as I find the Stainless model and the Milanese loop appealing, I think the sport watch with sport band is probably far more practical and comfortable for wearing  all day everyday.

Plus, I can buy two of them (one for the wife) for the cost of one stainless with milanese.

Interesting product: first Apple product where you can buy the base model, or the holy sh*t omg expensive model, and get the exact same tech.

I have a Luminox watch that had a similar silicone strap and I hated it. Extremely uncomfortable. Also, makes you sweat underneath it since its not breathable.

YMMV

• Reply 40 of 90
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregnacu View Post

Oh Crap.  I just loaded up the Apple Store app on my iPhone, and realized that the Canadian prices are substantially higher than the American prices.  The cheapest model starts at $449 in Canada.  And the 42mm Sport starts at $519.

I really want one, and I'd probably go with the cheapest possible model. I'm thinking the 38mm Space Grey.  But it's a hundred dollars more up here in the North than I've been dreaming about all night since watching the presentation yesterday. Damn.

Cross the border and save yourself $100.