Choosing your Apple Watch: Which size and material are right for you?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I like the 38MM space grey with Black band.

$349

I like the stealth look of that watch.  I'm not really into showing off.

Get silver Sport with green rubber band to make it like a child toy.

• Reply 42 of 90
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member

These watches are go great.  I was really wrong in thinking the Milanese Loop would be the most expensive (non-gold) one.  It looks so elegant with the "moving parts" etc etc.  I see now it's an extruded woven wire essentially.  There are likely many many less processing steps than the links, but anyway. 

Funny:  Picture this made-up heart-attack scenario (that would never happen):

Imagine the ease and convenience of buying a $0.99 App in the App-Store, while signed in with your valid appleID.

Then you browse over to the Gold AppleWatch and click Buy by accident or just playing around since its so $ and you expect a confirmation anyway.

"Thank you for buying the $17,000 Watch.  Your order is processed immediately."

Nooooo!

Just playing around.....

• Reply 43 of 90
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

success hurts doesn't it?

Not really. I'm waiting for the 2nd gen when battery improves. I wish Apple Watch success so I can make money with my stocks. 

I like Space Grey SS with Milanese loop but would wait. $699 is out of reach for me. I would if it is under $600.

• Reply 44 of 90
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Cross the border and save yourself $100.

Umm...you know of a place that can sell you USD for CDN at par? Do share!

• Reply 45 of 90
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

So it is true that any band will work with the sport watches? That's good news. I'll go to a store to see what I think before I decide what I would do.

I don't even know which size would look better on my wrist (185 mm around)

In the Apple Store app, when you choose a combination watch/band, the next page you get to gives a range of wrist sizes it'll fit.  Pretty much all of them will fit a 185mm wrist.  Mine is 190-195 (my own rough measurement I just took).  I think I have small wrists for a man, but 190mm is near the top of the range for even the 42mm watch size and bands.

• Reply 46 of 90
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Interesting product: first Apple product where you can buy the base model, or the holy sh*t omg expensive model, and get the exact same tech.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in a month when they start hitting the streets.

I wonder too about not having a gold-tone option in the medium price range, whether that will affect those who might otherwise buy an ?Watch, but only wear "gold" jewelry and accessories to match their gold iPhones, iPads and now MacBooks.

• Reply 47 of 90
    raz0rraz0r Posts: 28member
    Well, there goes the gold one for me then. I was sure I was gonna get it for the cool 12k$
    But the 69grams is bound to make me slouch to my left, rendering me incapable of walking straight to work because I'll just be going in circles.

Go for Sports! :D
  • Reply 48 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snarbin View Post

Quote: "and there is no financial distinction for Edition models."

You missed some info. The 38 mm Edition is $10k, while the 42mm is $12k. Somehow adding a different band choice can cost and additional $5k, as their most expensive Edition Watch is $17k. I guess I'll only get one of those. Yikes.

It's a bit insane though that changing bands on the stainless watch can add almost $500. How does a watch band cost more than the Sport Watch? There are some great bands, but I'll stick with the sport until Watch 2 comes out at half the thickness and new bands next year.

Those bands on the Edition models, except for the Sport bands, have additional gold in them.  Multiply the additional amount of gold by the usual 15x luxury goods markup and there you have it.

• Reply 49 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Thanks for pointing out they have actual size renderings on the Apple Store App.  I'd kind of assumed I'd be getting the 42mm, but having compared with my existing watches, 38mm will be better for me.

So, 38mm stainless steel with black leather strap and classic buckle for me.

Same here.  That's a nice looking and right-sized watch.

• Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by qvak View Post

What's the rationale behind leather? I know it's comfortable but every leather strap I;ve ever had got worn and loose over time.

That plus the ease/quick to put on nature of metal bands make them a no brainer for me.

Metal is heavy and slippery relative to leather.  Leather, to my taste, just feels and fits better.  If it wears out, I'll replace it.

• Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jxf91381 View Post

I'm curious about how the pricing structure will play out. The base price of the 42mm SS variant is 599.00 which includes the white or black sport band. If you order a premium band with your watch, do you also receive the default sport band or will you just receive the premium band?

Just the one premium band.  Which is to say, the real price of the steel watch is $499 for 38mm or $549 for the 42mm, but Apple is choosing to sell them only with a band.  Think of it that way and purchase accordingly.  In the end, you'll pay $50 more for the sport band, once Apple starts selling bands separately.  I haven't seen that indicated anywhere yet.

• Reply 52 of 90
    jungmark wrote: »
    I think Apple are marketing this watch primarily to women; hence, the interview with the model early on. 

As someone else astutely pointed out here, they tend to keep their phones in their handbags, so are more likely to find a use for the watch. For us men, who keep it in our pockets, there is less to be gained. I'm happy pulling my phone out of my pocket.

The question is: for how long will these women keep interested? My guess is that they will become frustrated by the tiny screen size, and they will resort to getting their phone out anyway. What if you get a text from someone about meeting and you want to look at a map? Do you really want to scroll around a 1" screen? No. You want to look at it on your phone, because it’s so much easier and more pleasant to do so. Repeat for endless scenarios.

I see this watch as a niche fitness device and no more; hence, the marathon video.

Nice scenario. What if both your hands are busy and you can't put things down to take your phone out of your pocket?

NEWSFLASH: it takes two hands to use the Apple Watch.

The iPhone only needs one hand.

I rest my case.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I rest my case.

"Hey Siri"

• Reply 54 of 90
    icoco3 wrote: »

I rest my case.

"Hey Siri"

And don't call me Siri.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

These watches are go great.  I was really wrong in thinking the Milanese Loop would be the most expensive (non-gold) one.  It looks so elegant with the "moving parts" etc etc.  I see now it's an extruded woven wire essentially.  There are likely many many less processing steps than the links, but anyway. 

I was flabbergasted when I saw the Milanese Loop was only $149.  I really wanted it, but I thought, like you, that it would really cost a ton.  I do need to try it out on the 10th, though, at the Store.  Some people who have had similar bands in the past have said they can really pull at your arm hair.  So, if it turns out to be too uncomfortable (which, knowing Apple, it probably won't) then I'll go with either the Black Classic Buckle, or if I feel like spending $100 extra, the Midnight Blue Modern Buckle.  That Midnight Blue color just looks gorgeous.

• Reply 56 of 90
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I rest my case.

*headdesk*

Really?  REALLY?!

• Reply 57 of 90
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I agree. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in a month when they start hitting the streets.

I wonder too about not having a gold-tone option in the medium price range, whether that will affect those who might otherwise buy an ?Watch, but only wear "gold" jewelry and accessories to match their gold iPhones, iPads and now MacBooks.

I'm kind of hoping the fact that the Sport doesn't look all that much different to the ?Watch, combined with the fact that the internals are the same, will encourage the masses to go for the Sport, increasing my chance of getting an ?Watch on release day!

• Reply 58 of 90
    aaronj wrote: »

I rest my case.

*headdesk*

Really?  REALLY?!

Yes, really.

I hope your shock has subsided.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member

The colored bands do have a certain Teletubbies vibe to them. 

The stainless watch and metal band is quite nice but the stainless nicety comes at a price that is going to take some time to warm up to.

I think I see where Apple is going with this product. It very nearly transcends just being a gadget, with the only major detractor being the need to stay close to a recharger at all times. You're not going to take this puppy on a multiple day excursion into the outback or wilderness - unless someone comes up with a solar recharger.

I'll try to keep an open mind and recall that when the iPhone first came out it too was much more expensive than what current customers expected to pay for feature and dumb phones of the day. Once the realization of what a truly "smart" phone could deliver took hold the world never looked back. If the Apple Watch puts the "smart" into watches we may see the pattern repeat itself.

The other point is that the "phone-ness" of a smartphone today garners much lower consideration in evaluating whether to purchase a new smartphone or not. Things like screen size, storage capacity, and the ability to run apps are higher on the list. Yeah, a modern smartphone still has to make phone calls reasonably well but the bar isn't very high in this regard. When's the last time you saw a head to head comparison of the call quality or calling network coverage of competing smartphones? If the Apple Watch takes a similar upward path across a growing spectrum of functionality the fact that it tells time will be good, but what it does beyond just telling time could distance the Apple Watch as far away from the traditional watch category as the iPhone has distanced itself from touch tone telephones.

Can the Apple Watch redefine the watch market? Perhaps. Functionally.

Can the Apple Watch redefine the watch market while also capturing significant crossover from the "watches as high end jewelry" buying population? Maybe. Hmmm. 

Apple has proven time and again that it can distinguish its products not only functionally but aesthetically. Apple products generally have superior design and downright beauty compared to competing products in the same categories. But then again, the competition in the personal computer and smart devices market has typically been a herd of downright butt ugly dog breath bottom feeding slack jaw droolers. Being the beauty of the ball or BMOC when all of the competition is basically triple bagger stock makes the prospects and outcome fairly predictable. With the Apple Watch all of the triple bagger plastic & rubber geekgear and Tijuana Rolecks trench coat specials are on the cheap side of the tracks and Apple is infringing on territory with competitors who know a thing or two about high end design, fine materials, craftsmanship, precision, and beauty.

Can Apple compete in a head to head competition at the high end against much more seasoned and savvy competitors who have decades and in some cases more than a century of understanding and intimacy about their customers and what they covet? The outcome for Apple has never been so uncertain and especially when they are taking a multi-pronged approach with three levels of offerings. If they can pull it off they will once again redefine an industry, much like they did with iPhone. They'll have to earn this one because the competition is not going to sit back and take a wait & see or dismissive attitude. If the companies that are in the line of fire of the Apple Watch want a playbook on how to execute the wait & see and/or dismissive plan I'm sure Blackberry would be more than happy to share their playbook, complete with tear stained pages and worthless stock certificates that also serve as reasonably good cat box liners.

• Reply 60 of 90
    qvakqvak Posts: 86member
    Has anyone considered the possibility that there would be a longer product life cycle for the watch?

I have a hard time seeing someone spend 10K on a gold watch only to have it left in the dust the next year. maybe a 2 year life cycle instead with much bigger jumps?