Choosing your Apple Watch: Which size and material are right for you?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by qvak View Post

Has anyone considered the possibility that there would be a longer product life cycle for the watch?

I have a hard time seeing someone spend 10K on a gold watch only to have it left in the dust the next year. maybe a 2 year life cycle instead with much bigger jumps?

Upgradable "guts"...if so, will be revealed at the next event for a new watch.

• Reply 62 of 90
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

so $100 swayed your decision?  For something you will use everyday for 3 years?  That's only a few pennies a day.  

It's not $100 for decision, but for not to be called STUPID...

• Reply 63 of 90
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Can Apple compete in a head to head competition at the high end against much more seasoned and savvy competitors who have decades and in some cases more than a century of understanding and intimacy about their customers and what they covet? The outcome for Apple has never been so uncertain and especially when they are taking a multi-pronged approach with three levels of offerings. If they can pull it off they will once again redefine an industry, much like they did with iPhone. They'll have to earn this one because the competition is not going to sit back and take a wait & see or dismissive attitude. If the companies that are in the line of fire of the Apple Watch want a playbook on how to execute the wait & see and/or dismissive plan I'm sure Blackberry would be more than happy to share their playbook, complete with tear stained pages and worthless stock certificates that also serve as reasonably good cat box liners.

Your problem with your assessment is that you are treating this as if Apple is selling a watch.  They aren't.  They are selling another disruption in technology.  The fact is, it has the form factor of a watch, it is called a Watch, and it tells time; but all of that is irrelevant.  

They aren't in competition with Rolex or Omega or Patek Phillipe or whomever else you want to throw out there.  They are in competition with the existing "smart watch" market -- which, for all intents and purposes, barely exists.  Remember the smartphone market before iPhone?  Sure, you had stuff like the LG Prada, etc.  But no one was buying those.  Apple comes along, and BAM!  They completely, utterly create a massive disruption, throw the tech world into chaos, and now, nearly 8 years later they dominate the market in every relevant way.

• Reply 64 of 90
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Your problem with your assessment is that you are treating this as if Apple is selling a watch.  They aren't.  They are selling another disruption in technology.  

And it is: Metal Mixing Technology with 90% mark up. How about that?

• Reply 65 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

What the hell is that supposed to mean?  And why exactly am I supposed to care?

• Reply 66 of 90
    aaronj wrote: »
    fallenjt wrote: »

What the hell is that supposed to mean?  And why exactly am I supposed to care?

It means that if you buy an Apple Watch, you are getting ripped off. If you don't mind getting ripped off, then you won't care.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It means that if you buy an Apple Watch, you are getting ripped off. If you don't mind getting ripped off, then you won't care.

That is why I would stick with the Sport, same watch, less expensive metal.

• Reply 68 of 90
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Your problem with your assessment is that you are treating this as if Apple is selling a watch.  They aren't.  They are selling another disruption in technology.  The fact is, it has the form factor of a watch, it is called a Watch, and it tells time; but all of that is irrelevant.  

They aren't in competition with Rolex or Omega or Patek Phillipe or whomever else you want to throw out there.  They are in competition with the existing "smart watch" market -- which, for all intents and purposes, barely exists.  Remember the smartphone market before iPhone?  Sure, you had stuff like the LG Prada, etc.  But no one was buying those.  Apple comes along, and BAM!  They completely, utterly create a massive disruption, throw the tech world into chaos, and now, nearly 8 years later they dominate the market in every relevant way.

In fact, I made the same statement in my assessment of the functional attributes of the Apple Watch.

However, I also believe Apple is going after the traditional higher end "jewelry" watch industry with their higher end offerings. If Apple was focused purely on disruption I believe they would have been much more aggressive on the price-performance towards the lower end. Most disruptors tend to attack from behind and below and concentrate on filling unserved and/or underserved market needs. With the Apple Watch they are clearly jumping squarely in front of some of the mid to mid-high competition and completely ignoring the low end. I see their strategy being very much a multi-facteted one that few other companies have been able to execute successfully, but not too unlike what they did with the iPhone as I mentioned earlier. We'll see.

• Reply 69 of 90
    Quote:

By whom am I getting ripped off, and exactly how am I getting ripped off?

It's March 10th.  I've just now spent another $50+ on Blu-Rays.  I'm probably at about $500+ so far this year.  And we're what?  Two months and ten days into 2015?  And this is just Blus.  We're not even talking about music, magazines, etc.

• Reply 70 of 90
    booboobooboo Posts: 49member
    Quote:

What's the rationale behind leather? I know it's comfortable but every leather strap I;ve ever had got worn and loose over time.

That plus the ease/quick to put on nature of metal bands make them a no brainer for me.

I had a bunch of inexpensive watches with leather bands when I was a kid. The leather absorbed perspiration and began to stink. I eventually switched to metal watch bands and sports watches with rubber watch bands. No more smell.

I don't know whether these higher quality leather watch bands from Apple might have this problem. I'd hate to fork over that kind of money and end up with a smelly watch. I think I'll play it safe with either a fluoroelastomer or metal band (maybe both).

• Reply 71 of 90
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 159member
    qvak wrote: »
    Has anyone considered the possibility that there would be a longer product life cycle for the watch?

I have a hard time seeing someone spend 10K on a gold watch only to have it left in the dust the next year. maybe a 2 year life cycle instead with much bigger jumps?
    Good question, I would like to read any other thoughts on this question.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    NEWSFLASH: it takes two hands to use the Apple Watch.

The iPhone only needs one hand.

I rest my case.

You're using your watch wrong. You need a wrist and a finger free.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Which size and weight? None. I've got better ways to spend my money.

thanks for sharing that. was really wondering what you were going to spend your money on.

• Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Anyway, there is another rumors site where people are not attacked for their provocative statements and actually entertain ideas based on people having open minds. Here it's ad hominem central where there's very little thinking and imagination required or solicited.

hope you arent referring to MacRumors -- never has there been a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

• Reply 75 of 90
    Quote:

You need to read between the lines. And to understand, you would need to accept some "uncomfortable" truths about the opposite sex.

either you can be specific about why, or the argument is bunk. pick one.

• Reply 76 of 90
    Quote:

Get silver Sport with green rubber band to make it like a child toy.

strange assumptions you make in life. me, i really like neon green. as a 6'1" man thats one i plan on buying.

• Reply 77 of 90
    Quote:

guess how much mark-up your local furniture store has? 100% mark up. they buy for $100, sell for $200. or more.

• Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:

how on earth can you determine whether $349 is a "rip off" when you dont know the other person's salary? you cant determine the cost/benefit analysis for another person, duh. 

• Reply 79 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by booboo View Post

I had a bunch of inexpensive watches with leather bands when I was a kid. The leather absorbed perspiration and began to stink. I eventually switched to metal watch bands and sports watches with rubber watch bands. No more smell.

I don't know whether these higher quality leather watch bands from Apple might have this problem. I'd hate to fork over that kind of money and end up with a smelly watch. I think I'll play it safe with either a fluoroelastomer or metal band (maybe both).

you had cheap leather bands. talk to people w/ high quality leather bands and theyll tell you. same with cheap leather belts, wallets, etc... 

• Reply 80 of 90
    dannshdannsh Posts: 24member
    None. Base watch too dam expensive.