Next-gen iPhone rumored to include Force Touch, possible pink color option

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
A report on Tuesday reiterated claims that Apple plans to integrate Force Touch features into its next iPhone model, and at the same time floated new rumors about an upcoming pink version of the handset.

Citing sources within Apple's supply chain, The Wall Street Journal said the company is looking to incorporate Force Touch technology featured in Apple Watch, as well as the just-announced 12-inch MacBook and 13-inch MacBook Pro refresh, into the next-generation iPhone, which will presumably launch this fall.

The publication is just the latest to carry word of an iPhone version of Force Touch, as identical reports first surfaced in January. Most recently, a reliable source advised AppleInsider of the plans, but quashed rumors of a dual-lens camera.

Those same people familiar with development of Apple's next-generation handsets were first to tell AppleInsider that they are internally codenamed "N71" for the 4.7-inch model and "N66" for the 5.5-inch version. Both handsets are expected to feature the same basic design as the current iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Force Touch allows a device to determine varying levels of input pressure by deploying electrodes around its screen. In the Apple Watch, electrodes are deployed around the device's flexible OLED display to detect the level of deformation caused by the user's press. Levels of force are translated to user interface operations that add an extra layer of control to existing multitouch systems. Apple calls the advance its "most significant new sensing capability since Multi‑Touch."

While feasible, including Force Touch would likely require flexible display materials like the OLED panel used in Apple Watch. As today's report claims Apple will carry over the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus' 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch display sizes in "similar" resolutions, a move exotic display technology could be hindered by supplier yield issues.

The publication also claims that Apple will add pink to its palette of iPhone color options, expanding away from the current silver, Space Gray and Gold offerings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47

Cool.

Let me guess: this pink offering will be aimed at the female of the species.

Am I right or am I right?

Hit of the 80s: Pink Sunshine.

• Reply 2 of 47

Maybe we could get a nice green option?

Though I thought some of the reasoning behind Space Gray, Silver and Gold was a desire for 'mature, adult colors'.

• Reply 3 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Maybe we could get a nice green option?

Though I thought some of the reasoning behind Space Gray, Silver and Gold was a desire for 'mature, adult colors'.

I thought black wasn't a colour.

• Reply 4 of 47
    Yeah, PINK, as in Pink Gold to harmonize with the Pink Gold ?Watch... With the watch and iPhone having radius edges, a fashionada needs to have matching bling... Oh, the trials of being a one-percenter....
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Y'all keep saying that this would require a switch to a flexible display material...I don't believe this is true.
    I think they're using other technology to detect both the time of the press (milliseconds matter, and more milliseconds could mean a harder press, as it does take more milliseconds to push harder) and the surface area of the press (more surface area of a touch means a harder touch).
    The hard glass overlay of all these devices, AppleWatch and iPhone alike, does not allow for the precise deformation needed to detect a so called hard press, therefore a flexible display underlay does not matter for this particular feature.
    If anyone has an argument against anything I just said I honestly want to hear it. I know I might sound cocky in the above post but I'm honestly curious.
  • Reply 6 of 47

Well I know which color iPhone Nicki Minaj is getting to go with her $10K 18K Rose Gold Apple Watch Edition.

• Reply 7 of 47
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What about Space Black, now that it's on the Apple watch?

I also think that Apple should make Macbooks and other products in Space Black.

• Reply 8 of 47

Pink!?

OK.... apparently, Japan/China markets are finally conquering starting to influence design decisions at Cupertino. :rolleyes: 

• Reply 9 of 47
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It's all about diversity now, obviously.

So, it would be discriminatory to exclude pink from being an iPhone color. 

I hear that representatives of orange are going to hold a protest in front of Apple HQ tommorrow, and that Tim Cook will allow a shakedown artist/spokesperson from orange to speak at the next shareholder's meeting.

• Reply 10 of 47
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Cool.

Let me guess: this pink offering will be aimed at the female of the species.

Am I right or am I right?

Hit of the 80s: Pink Sunshine.
    In the early days of iMac, SJ asked for a pink color for girls. A pink color iPhone is to pay homage to SJ.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Now THAT'S Innovation!!

Who says Apple doesn't innovate anymore?

• Reply 12 of 47
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Pink it's my new obsession 

Pink it's not even a question, 

Pink on the lips of your lover, 'cause 

Pink is the love you discover 

Pink as the bing on your cherry 

Pink 'cause you are so very 

Pink it's the color of passion 

'Cause today it just goes with the fashion

• Reply 13 of 47
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Pink may have as much to do with fashion, Ahrendts' retail leadership, and women's enormous buying power.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Not pink but Rose Gold
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Well I know which color iPhone Nicki Minaj is getting to go with her $10K 18K Rose Gold Apple Watch Edition.

Black?
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by srams123 View Post

Not pink but Rose Gold

That might be the color, hard to say.

• Reply 17 of 47
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
  • Reply 18 of 47
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    Force touch doesn't require any more flexibility than the existing iPhone LCD has. There is no need for OLED.
  • Reply 19 of 47

I completely agree. AI keeps posting that a switch to flexible display would be necessary. This is preposterous. I posted a comment similar to yours like an hour ago and they haven't posted it. (maybe because I'm a new commenter, idk)

• Reply 20 of 47
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Now THAT'S Innovation!!

Who says Apple doesn't innovate anymore?

you should really consider macrumors -- the "innovation troll" schtick really works there.