Next-gen iPhone rumored to include Force Touch, possible pink color option

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Pink!?

OK.... apparently, Japan/China markets are finally conquering starting to influence design decisions at Cupertino. :rolleyes:  

Haven't you noticed dropping all the China-centric references in the last keynote? From the opening video of the Apple Store in China, to the inclusion of Chinese researchers in the ResearchKit video to the mention of WeChat in the Apple Watch demo?
  • Reply 22 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Haven't you noticed dropping all the China-centric references in the last keynote? From the opening video of the Apple Store in China, to the inclusion of Chinese researchers in the ResearchKit video to the mention of WeChat in the Apple Watch demo?

It's no secret. China will easily overtake US sales if trends continue.
  • Reply 23 of 47

It's no secret. China will easily overtake US sales if trends continue.

Made in China... Sold in China... Profits sent to USA. Sounds good to me.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Meanwhile in South Korea, Samsung hasn’t had a good year financially but it’s not slowing down its spending on R&D. BusinessKorea reports that Samsung spent an astonishing $13.8 billion in research and development in 2014, the single largest R&D investment in the company’s history. Possibly, in all of smart-phone-dom...

Until recently, many cynics would have argued that Samsung was obviously wasting its money since its only payoff from these kinds of massive investments for a while seemed to be shallow gimmicks such as the Galaxy Gear, the Galaxy Round and the Galaxy Note Edge. However, the Galaxy S6 edge has been turning a lot of heads ever since it was unveiled at Mobile World Congress last week. Of course it isn't on the market yet, but you couldn't tell by the way the WSJ is creaming their pants about it.

Interestingly, it seems that this increase in R&D spending came at the expense of Samsung’s Advertising Death Star, which BusinessKorea says saw its budget slashed by nearly 10% year-over-year. More products and less marketing... well, that's a fail combination too.

$13 Billion here and $13 Billion there... Maybe if Sammy spent it making quality products it might pay a return...
  • Reply 25 of 47

I'm going to sit and wait for "forcegate" and watch the stock tumble

• Reply 26 of 47
    pistispistis Posts: 247member

I thought black wasn't a colour.

Anal retentive as ever frosty and it's spelt "color"
  • Reply 27 of 47
    mubaili wrote: »
    In the early days of iMac, SJ asked for a pink color for girls. A pink color iPhone is to pay homage to SJ.

I think Tim Cook will be the first buyer?
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Made in China... Sold in China... Profits sent to USA. Sounds good to me.
    and just like in former Britain children working 12 hour days, nothing ever changes . Workers are being used and abused to make the rich richer, mr frosty would know all about that
  • Reply 29 of 47
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

I watch a LOT of LPGA golf -- every week, in fact (well, they aren't playing this week, but ...) and it's unbelievable how much pink you see worn, especially on Sundays.  Anyone who thinks that pink doesn't appeal to women is deluded.  Women are 51%-52% of the population more or less.  When I go to Starbucks the vast majority of women I see with smartphones or laptops have iPhones or Macs.  This will be a HUGE seller.

The podcasts I listened to after the Event seemed to all agree that the Force Touch was a really killer feature.  I guess I will have to finally update from my 5S. :)

• Reply 30 of 47
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    pistis wrote: »
    Anal retentive as ever frosty and it's spelt "color"
    Don't you know that English people spell it 'colour' ?
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    you should really consider macrumors -- the "innovation troll" schtick really works there.
    Actually if you don't complain about Apple not innovating enough you get banned there.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Cool.

Let me guess: this pink offering will be aimed at the female of the species.

Am I right or am I right?

Hit of the 80s: Pink Sunshine.

I immediately thought it was aimed at you.
  • Reply 32 of 47

It just seems to me that cases cover this need?  Most phones I see are covered.  What does the phone color really do for someone?  It is not like iPods back in the day.

• Reply 33 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Meanwhile in South Korea, Samsung hasn’t had a good year financially but it’s not slowing down its spending on R&D. BusinessKorea reports that Samsung spent an astonishing $13.8 billion in research and development in 2014, the single largest R&D investment in the company’s history. Possibly, in all of smart-phone-dom...

Until recently, many cynics would have argued that Samsung was obviously wasting its money since its only payoff from these kinds of massive investments for a while seemed to be shallow gimmicks such as the Galaxy Gear, the Galaxy Round and the Galaxy Note Edge. However, the Galaxy S6 edge has been turning a lot of heads ever since it was unveiled at Mobile World Congress last week. Of course it isn't on the market yet, but you couldn't tell by the way the WSJ is creaming their pants about it.

Interestingly, it seems that this increase in R&D spending came at the expense of Samsung’s Advertising Death Star, which BusinessKorea says saw its budget slashed by nearly 10% year-over-year. More products and less marketing... well, that's a fail combination too.

$13 Billion here and $13 Billion there... Maybe if Sammy spent it making quality products it might pay a return...

A huge amount of this is not going into their mobile division, but in fabs. A place were they are starting to have an entrenched dominant position. Probably a better place to spend money.

• Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

i don't use a case.  Why buy an awesome looking phone just to cover it up with an ugly and bulky case?

its like buying a fine italian leather sofa and covering it up with sheet plastic to protect it.  

Same here but I see most people using cases so was wondering...

• Reply 35 of 47
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    I wish they offered the gold or silver phones with the black front.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member

$13 billion spent to come up with a new flagship that looks like the 6 month old iPhone 6. I guess it takes a lot of money to copy the iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Some people just have to color co-ordinate:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/56444/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Interesting choice of headphones. I think cases do cover this sort of thing but if it wouldn't cost Apple any more to add, it wouldn't do much harm. I think it would be best not being a dark pink but a very light pink - the kind that looks white with a small hint of pink.

Force Touch would be a useful addition to the iPhone because it means no more press-hold to do text actions. It means browsers can differentiate between visiting a link and force-touch to open it in a new tab or copy the link.

This would work for the copy/paste magic marker. You can force-touch some text and it would popup the select/copy/paste bar at the bottom of the page. You'd tap on select, which can be like caps lock and then you just drag over the selection lines. Click select again to allow scrolling or just two-finger scroll but each would maintain the selection until you dismissed the bottom bar. Hop over to another app, force-touch and hit paste at the bottom. It can be used for reordering apps, ringing phone numbers.

It just needs to be a pressure sensor under the display.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Pink!?

OK.... apparently, Japan/China markets are finally conquering starting to influence design decisions at Cupertino. :rolleyes: 

Why shouldn't they? They are now a huge market segment. The Gold iPhone was really for China. It was surprisingly popular in the US.

• Reply 39 of 47
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Force Touch is going to be a VERY welcome improvement to iPhone Multi-Touch. The "Tap-and-Hold" gesture that has been around since the very beginning is one of the weakest and most difficult gestures to both perform and program.

The range of Force Touch ability and it being built in to the OS is going to dramatically improve interaction with Apps. This is a very, very good thing.

• Reply 40 of 47
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Force Touch is going to be a VERY welcome improvement to iPhone Multi-Touch. The "Tap-and-Hold" gesture that has been around since the very beginning is one of the weakest and most difficult gestures to both perform and program.

The range of Force Touch ability and it being built in to the OS is going to dramatically improve interaction with Apps. This is a very, very good thing.

The one thing that really got my interest in the Spring Forward event was the new touchpad and functions in the new MacBook. The first ting I thought of is "how can they build that into a new mouse for my mac?" I have a trackpad, and never use it.