Apple adds 14 new merchants to Apple Pay website including Jamba Juice and Office Max

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Following big MacBook and Apple Watch announcements at Monday's "Spring Forward" event, Apple updated its running list of merchants that support Apple Pay to include 14 new stores.

Apple quietly announced the new Apple Pay retail partners in a recent change to the payment service's informational webpage, which now lists a total of 61 supporting stores.

The updated list now includes Bashas', Coca-Cola Vending, Dan's Fresh Market, Dick's Fresh Market, Fudruckers, Jamba Juice, Jersey Mike's, JetBlue, Lin's Fresh Market, Maceys, Office Max, Pep Boys, Regal Cinemas and Walt Disney World. CEO Tim Cook highlighted Coca-Cola's vending machines during yesterday's event as a "cool and convenient" place to use Apple Pay. The beverage giant currently operates 40,000 Apple Pay-compatible machines and plans to bring that number to 100,000 by the end of 2015.

Apple also added L.L. Bean to the "coming soon" section, which still includes Acme, Albertsons, Anthropologie, Free People and Urban Outfitters.

The change also brought an expanded in-app buying section that highlights 29 apps like Postmates and Kickstarter, Starbucks, the latter of which was announced last month. Aside from NFC-based touchless transactions, the Apple Pay platform can be used for in-app purchases.

Apple Pay's footprint is slowly growing as companies continue to sign on to Apple's initiative. Most recently, Marriott and Etsy pledged support slated to see release later this year, while GameStop announced plans to roll out compatibility in stores starting this month. Apple is also working hard to grow Apple Pay and on Monday activated a FAQ page and dedicated support line intended to help independent merchants get started with the nascent payments service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    I remember using apple pay at a jambs juice like 4-6 weeks ago, you just have to look for the right terminal . The sephora one doesn't have the usual wave symbol .
  • Reply 2 of 41
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    I try ?Pay at every terminal with a green light on it and all the symbols, it works in a lot of them, a few declinds but must of them work.
  • Reply 3 of 41

The ?Pay wave continues, the world can thank Apple for driving NFC acceptance. :D

• Reply 4 of 41
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    The vending machine application is super sweet. Now I wish I could do this on all vending machines.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    The ?Pay wave continues, the world can thank Apple for driving NFC acceptance. :D
    well, welcome to the year of Apple Pay. I used Apple Pay at Pep Boys about a month ago. So easy and feel safe too not concern about another data breach. Waiting for my favorite grocery store Trader Joe to accept Apple Pay. When not whether Wal Mart is going to fall in line would be interesting infection point.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    leesmith wrote: »
    The vending machine application is super sweet. Now I wish I could do this on all vending machines.

I wants to use ?Pay at the gas pump that be sweet
  • Reply 7 of 41

With 25 million retailers in the country, I hope Appleinsider isn't going to herald each and everyone that adops apple pay.

• Reply 8 of 41
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Tried it yesterday at a store that's not on any list. It worked fine. (There was an NFC "signal bars" logo.)

"Accepting Apple Pay" doesn't mean much it seems--it only means "willing to say so for marketing reasons."
  • Reply 9 of 41
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member

Well, the U.S. Can thank Apple for driving NFC acceptance. It was already common place in many countries prior to ?Pay.

Hopefully it will start rolling out internationally soon too. The technology may already be in the terminals but it will certainly help with security and convenience.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

well, welcome to the year of Apple Pay. I used Apple Pay at Pep Boys about a month ago. So easy and feel safe too not concern about another data breach. Waiting for my favorite grocery store Trader Joe to accept Apple Pay. When not whether Wal Mart is going to fall in line would be interesting infection point.

Yeah, if you try to use ?Pay at Walmart, you just might get infected.

• Reply 11 of 41
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    leesmith wrote: »

Totally. That silly feed, reject, refeed cycle with paper money gets tedious just about immediately.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    With 25 million retailers in the country, I hope Appleinsider isn't going to herald each and everyone that adops apple pay.
    There's far worse habits in hyping.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Tried it yesterday at a store that's not on any list. It worked fine. (There was an NFC "signal bars" logo.)

"Accepting Apple Pay" doesn't mean much it seems--it only means "willing to say so for marketing reasons."

I don't think it works that way.

I tried in JambaJuice before this announcement. A few stores accepted ApplePay. Others rejected it. It was not consistent at all.

I supposed if they are listed officially, that means they have gone through some sort of systematic verification to make sure that every store works.

• Reply 14 of 41
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The last 12 months have been an amazing year for Apple with ?Pay being my favorite. It's amazing just how fast it's spreading. I think in 2-3 years we'll reach a tipping point where we'll be more surprised if a major merchant doesn't take ?Pay over one that does.

patsu wrote: »
    I don't think it works that way.

I tried in JambaJuice before this announcement. A few stores accepted ApplePay. Others rejected it. It was not consistent at all.

I supposed if they are listed officially, that means they have gone through some sort of systematic verification to make sure that every store works.

From the merchant's perspective it's all just an NFC payment so if a location takes NFC payments they can accept all ?Pay payments, providing that store didn't go thorough additional hoops to disallow ?Pay based on the NFC HW ID whilst allowing other NFC-base payments.

That does mean a sticker saying "?Pay Available Here" is simply used for marketing to entice buyers, especially since ?Pay is already much more well known in the US than the NFC logo despite my guess that most Americans who use a CC at retailers have at some point come across the NFC logo.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Totally. That silly feed, reject, refeed cycle with paper money gets tedious just about immediately.

1) The primary issue I have with vending machines is that I rarely carry cash on me these days, and when I do it's rarely in the form of one-dollar bills (or coins).

2) In a way, I wish vending machines weren't coming, because if it's that convenient to get some chips, soda or a candy bar I may end up consuming junk food for the hell of it. In fact, the morning of the event I was at the car dealership waiting, and totally would have bought crap if I had cash on me. I'm glad I didn't. Perhaps they could fill those vending machines with self control. :D
  • Reply 16 of 41
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    jfc1138 wrote: »

1) The primary issue I have with vending machines is that I rarely carry cash on me these days, and when I do it's rarely in the form of one-dollar bills (or coins).

2) In a way, I wish vending machines weren't coming, because if it's that convenient to get some chips, soda or a candy bar I may end up consuming junk food for the hell of it. In fact, the morning of the event I was at the car dealership waiting, and totally would have bought crap if I had cash on me. I'm glad I didn't. Perhaps they could fill those vending machines with self control. :D

You mean to say you don't eat Cheetos?!?!?!?! :wow:
  • Reply 17 of 41
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by idrey View Post

I wants to use ?Pay at the gas pump that be sweet

Only Chevron allows ApplePay , and only indoor right now, All the other gas stations are tied to the the same crooked outfit that Walmart uses so they will be the last to convert if ever~!

• Reply 18 of 41
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

The last 12 months have been an amazing year for Apple with ?Pay being my favorite. It's amazing just how fast it's spreading. I think in 2-3 years we'll reach a tipping point where we'll be more surprised if a major merchant doesn't take ?Pay over one that does.

From the merchant's perspective it's all just an NFC payment so if a location takes NFC payments they can accept all ?Pay payments, providing that store didn't go thorough additional hoops to disallow ?Pay based on the NFC HW ID whilst allowing other NFC-base payments.

That does mean a sticker saying "?Pay Available Here" is simply used for marketing to entice buyers, especially since ?Pay is already much more well known in the US than the NFC logo despite my guess that most Americans who use a CC at retailers have at some point come across the NFC logo.

Most Americans probably think it has something to do with Football not Near Field Communications! Every time I have asked if a POS has NFC I get a blank stare from the sales person, so I just say  "never mind". This country is a so badly educated of course!

• Reply 19 of 41
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That's what I thought but when Apple Pay launched, I was able to pay at some JambaJuice stores but not others. The NFC terminal recognized Apple Pay but the register somehow failed.

I'm going to try again this weekend.

• Reply 20 of 41
    patsu wrote: »
    That's what I thought but when Apple Pay launched, I was able to pay at some JambaJuice stores but not others. The NFC terminal recognized Apple Pay but the register somehow failed.

I'm going to try again this weekend.

I know with the CVS pharmacy near me the NFC HW is still active and it all seems to work but it fails right at the end. I assume this is an issue with their CurrentC contract, which is something that they didn't seem to care about with all other devices using NFC-based payments until ?Pay came along. This won't last for long because eventually the contract will be up and it's not bad business, as well as bad customer service, to ignore a payment option.