Wall Street expects high margins, respectable sales for launch of well-designed Apple Watch

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    High margin = overpriced. Top analysts just confirmed what others were being attacked for saying yesterday. It's not the watches themselves, but the bands that are ridiculous. Perhaps 3rd party bands can save Apple from itself on this one, but it's going to take time for those to roll out, time the Apple Watch might not have if interest dies.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

High margin = overpriced. Top analysts just confirmed what others were being attacked for saying yesterday. It's not the watches themselves, but the bands that are ridiculous. Perhaps 3rd party bands can save Apple from itself on this one, but it's going to take time for those to roll out, time the Apple Watch might not have if interest dies.

Cry me a river.

• Reply 43 of 53
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So, if you were in Apple's position, what would have been your next major product after iPhone/iPad? I'm serious. I'm talking about a mainstream product, that ties into Apple's ecosystem, that people will buy in the millions, will generate high levels of profit,  that has legs and growth potential for the future, and that fits the Apple brand and company philosophy.  Of all the Apple Watch cynics, I have yet to see a SINGLE person propose a more rational course of action that Apple should have taken. Something feasible and believable for this point in time. 

I agree it's better for Apple to continually grow and not simply rest on their laurels. The problem I have with the watch is that it's a solution without a problem. I mean a real problem...not convenience. It just seems forced. Something Tim Cook could call his baby. 

As for other areas to explore, someone in this thread, suggested the living room and the connected home. Why are there still no apps on Apple TV? If there was a product to tie into the ecosystem, this is it.

And why does it have to be a device or gadget? Think services, and infrastructure or focusing on providing SDK's for various industries.

Apple has always prided themselves in making a difference. The ResearchKit announced yesterday for example is something that is a worthy venture. 

• Reply 44 of 53
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Still don't get why people still continue invoke traditional watch sales with Apple Watch. Two completely different case uses and two completely different consumers. But agree it will sell well.

I think they have the youth market locked in, I think they also need to target the blue collar consumer, the ones that could benefit most. People on the go who spend a lot of time working with their hands. People like construction workers, mechanics, warehouse, etc. The watch body itself is perfect for them, with it's simple easy to clean body, it just needs some rugged heavy duty straps to go with it for that demographic.
    There is always third party vendors i guess.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    lkrupp wrote: »

I have been an Apple supporter/customer since 1982 and I finally bought my first iPhone last October. No you are not the norm, you just don’t get it yet. This is a whole new category Apple just created. Current smart watches are just like the smart phones were before 2007. Once people figure out the potential of this new category (health kit, home Kit, carplay, etc) they will come around.

You might be right. I had no interest in the iPad 1 and now own an iPad 2 & 3
  • Reply 47 of 53
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

You read the comment section of other sites and you realize AI's trolls aren't that bad.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

You read the comment section of other sites and you realize AI's trolls aren't that bad.

LOL!

• Reply 49 of 53
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Omg, 5 years really... Imo the Android watches will catch up within 1 year.

Catch on from total blah garbage with minimal integration with the hardware on both sides?... How will they do this... Unless OEM become Google slaves and produce their hardware to Google's spec despite Google knowing nothing about hardware?

• Reply 50 of 53
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

The bands

a) have no real competition ... What other bands are other makers offering.

b) Are in the same price range as other comparable bands from watch makers

c) have the usual accessory markup

d) Is totally in line with Apple's past pricing.

So, basically, your out to lunch.

• Reply 51 of 53

I really can't believe that nobody is talking about what I view as the iWatch's killer app.  This device comes with a feature that no other Apple device comes with (out of the box) and it has the ability to literally change your life.  

The issue that the iWatch attempts to solves is Sedentary Time.  In layman's terms Sedentary Time is the time you spend sitting on your ass.  Sedentary time contributes to diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease and death in general. The iWatch reminds you that you have been sitting for too long and to stand up and take a little walk.  I have no idea if engaging in such activity will prolong your life by a minute or a second but I do know that if a $350 device can afford me with the gift of spending addition time with my wife and daughter I'm gonna take it.   Sorry I know I'm being dramatic but I really do think that the iWatch is trying to do something good and whether it actually sells or not I still applaud their effort.  It is also a feature that I hope all smartwatches adopt. 

• Reply 52 of 53
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drive23 View Post

I really can't believe that nobody is talking about what I view as the iWatch's killer app.  This device comes with a feature that no other Apple device comes with (out of the box) and it has the ability to literally change your life.  

The issue that the iWatch attempts to solves is Sedentary Time.  In layman's terms Sedentary Time is the time you spend sitting on your ass.  Sedentary time contributes to diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease and death in general. The iWatch reminds you that you have been sitting for too long and to stand up and take a little walk.  I have no idea if engaging in such activity will prolong your life by a minute or a second but I do know that if a $350 device can afford me with the gift of spending addition time with my wife and daughter I'm gonna take it.   Sorry I know I'm being dramatic but I really do think that the iWatch is trying to do something good and whether it actually sells or not I still applaud their effort.  It is also a feature that I hope all smartwatches adopt. 

It's unfortunate that this is a consideration. As an athlete, the thought is extremely foreign to me.