Apple adds 14 new merchants to Apple Pay website including Jamba Juice and Office Max

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Best Buy and CVS are looking like they missed the parade.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    With 25 million retailers in the country, I hope Appleinsider isn't going to herald each and everyone that adops apple pay.

just the important ones. rememeber when the AP trolls said it didnt have enough merchant support? they're pretty quiet now.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    nagromme wrote: »
    Tried it yesterday at a store that's not on any list. It worked fine. (There was an NFC "signal bars" logo.)

"Accepting Apple Pay" doesn't mean much it seems--it only means "willing to say so for marketing reasons."

not all NFC terminals work -- possibly because the retailers have them disabled. so saying they're accepting AP means they have them on and tested.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Only Chevron allows ApplePay , and only indoor right now, All the other gas stations are tied to the the same crooked outfit that Walmart uses so they will be the last to convert if ever~!

Yeah true most of them dont even have NFC and the ones that do declind ?Pay, i do use ?Pay at Kangaroo express gas station, is not officially supported but the havent block ?Pay
  • Reply 25 of 41
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Most Americans probably think it has something to do with Football not Near Field Communications! Every time I have asked if a POS has NFC I get a blank stare from the sales person, so I just say  "never mind". This country is a so badly educated of course!

Dude you are ragging on a cashier? 

• Reply 26 of 41
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

not all NFC terminals work -- possibly because the retailers have them disabled. so saying they're accepting AP means they have them on and tested.

This.  Also in some cases they are intentionally disabled to prevent apple pay (google is just a crossfire victim).  Most of the merchants from the MCE nonsense come to mind.

• Reply 27 of 41
    Apple Website says it is accepted at Jersey Mike's sub shop. Went to one yesterday and it was not accepted and they contacted their corporate office and were told there is no plans for ApplePay.

How do we tell Apple that?

Edit: Nevermind, there is a link to report issues on that website.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    leesmith wrote: »
    The vending machine application is super sweet. Now I wish I could do this on all vending machines.

I've been wanting to buy some Bitcoin from a BTC ATM.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    [@]SolipsismY[/@] was correct that you can use an Apple Watch to make Apple Pay NFC payments without the paired iPhone:

[QUOTE]
    [SIZE=4][B][COLOR=black]An easier way to pay.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Now paying in stores happens quickly and easily — there’s no need to open an app. [B][I][COLOR=blue]You don’t even need to have your iPhone with you.[/COLOR][/I][/B] Just double-click the side button and hold the face of your Apple Watch up to the contactless reader. A gentle pulse and a tone confirm that your payment information has been sent.[/QUOTE]

http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-pay/
  • Reply 30 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    [@]SolipsismY[/@] was correct that you can use an Apple Watch to make Apple Pay NFC payments without the paired iPhone:
    http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-pay/

So...as long as the watch never loses contact with your skin? That seems like a potential security problem. IMO, the phone should be nearby for purchases.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Most important news: a list of merchant payment processors who support Apple Pay. Time to lean on our existing merchant processor -- hard.

If they don't get on board fast I will move our company. Since my average customer transaction is over $300+ merchant svcs will likely care. If they don't, well, hasta la vista baby.

As COO that's a two-second decision for me on any merchant service operation that hesitates or refuses after allowing a reasonable time to do their homework (days, not months).

Why is the story here missing a link to the Apple support page for merchants ?? Here we go: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204274
  • Reply 32 of 41
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    So...as long as the watch never loses contact with your skin? That seems like a potential security problem. IMO, the phone should be nearby for purchases.

1) The phone does nothing for ?Pay except facilitate the internet connection and be the camera for the initial setup. After that, your representational card number is stored on ?Watch's secure element on the NFC chip. Having the iPhone near is simply pointless because if one can break into the your ?Watch using its 4-figit PIN then its presumed they can do with your iPhone's 4-digit PIN. I use a complex passcode for my iPhone, but most don't. The 4-digit PIN on ?Watch is more than sufficient because you inout it rarely (probably just in the morning* when you put it on) and it would be a mess to try to do up to 10K attempts on ?Watch. Plus, same as the iPhone, if your device is stolen -and- they can get into your account you can shut out access to ?Watch cards easily.

2) There are still some unknowns with ?Watch in regards to ?Pay:
    1. Do I need to use my PIN to authenticate every time I make a purchase if my iPhone is not actively tethered and authenticated for Touch ID use? (I'd guess not, so long as it doesn't leave your wrist.)
    2. If I take it off, turn it off/on, or in any remove its association from my wrist, can I simply put it back on my wrist and input he PIN in order to get authentication for ?Pay, or will that single instance require pairing with an iPhone for an additional layer of security before it can be used without an iPhone tethered? (I'd wager that it doesn't matter because a 4-digti PIN on ?Watch is just as secure as a 4-digt PIN on iPhone)

sailorpaul wrote: »
    Most important news: a list of merchant payment processors who support Apple Pay. Time to lean on our existing merchant processor -- hard.

If the don't get on board fast I will move. Since my average customer transaction is over $300+ they will likely care. If they don't, well, hasta la vista baby.

Why is the story here missing a link to the Apple support page for merchants ?? Here we go: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204274

1) Nice find on the support article.

2) Now that the banks are almost complete saturated (US market, of course) with only some credit unions and other stragglers not yet set up, it's time to start focusing on the merchant side of things. At this point I'd say there are probably close to 100M iPhone 6 series in the US. But let's remember it's only been 6 months. Such an amazing start. It's too bad CarPlay didn't have this start. People that work in the car industry have still never heard of it!!!
  • Reply 33 of 41
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member

I went to Jersey Mike's today for lunch near my work (IL).  Total fail. Not because it didn't work, but because they didn't even have a NFC POS.... no POS at all.  :-(

• Reply 34 of 41
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

I went to Jersey Mike's today for lunch near my work (IL).  Total fail. Not because it didn't work, but because they didn't even have a NFC POS.... no POS at all.  :-(

I just noticed my nearest snack machine has NFC!

Wasn't caffeinated enough to try it and my paper bill worked so ... later.

That endless rejection of perfectly good paper bills is the understated game changer for NFC, IMHO. Handing a human salesperson whatever doesn't involve the frustration we vending machine customers take as a normal part of our lives. So using NFC at a human cashier station is a convenience, at a vending machine that's rejecting your only paper bills it's a necessity! lol

• Reply 35 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Most Americans probably think it has something to do with Football not Near Field Communications! Every time I have asked if a POS has NFC I get a blank stare from the sales person, so I just say  "never mind". This country is a so badly educated of course!

So not being tech savvy means they're uneducated?
  • Reply 36 of 41
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So not being tech savvy means they're uneducated?

I think Paul94544 meant to say... if you are working in retail, you should have basic knowledge of the equipment you use or do not use.  I worked retail a long time ago.. and I knew how the POS system works, what it can and can not do... not to mention the store's products.  

There are countless times I go into a brick and mortar store and come out disappointed, because the sales staff, has no clue, knowledge or ambition to even care.  Good customer service is rare.  Retail is not what it used to be.  :-(   Which is why I think more an more people are shopping online. 

• Reply 37 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bkerkay wrote: »

I think Paul94544 meant to say... if you are working in retail, you should have basic knowledge of the equipment you use or do not use.  I worked retail a long time ago.. and I knew how the POS system works, what it can and can not do... not to mention the store's products.  

There are countless times I go into a brick and mortar store and come out disappointed, because the sales staff, has no clue, knowledge or ambition to even care.  Good customer service is rare.  Retail is not what it used to be.  :-(   Which is why I think more an more people are shopping online. 

POS terminals are something the consumer interacts with, not the cashier. I've been in stores in which they've changed the POS 3 or more times in a year. My guess is that they gutted swapped out without ever informing the cashier what it can, and cannot do.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    mubaili wrote: »
    well, welcome to the year of Apple Pay. I used Apple Pay at Pep Boys about a month ago. So easy and feel safe too not concern about another data breach. Waiting for my favorite grocery store Trader Joe to accept Apple Pay. When not whether Wal Mart is going to fall in line would be interesting infection point.
    Used Apple Pay in Staples store. So easy. Then went to Trader Joe and noticed they have installed new terminals. Tried Apple Pay, it did go into processing but ultimately declined twice. Had to pull out credit card to pay. So barbaric. The cashier said they just have the new terminal couple of days ago and told me he would bring the issue up to the management. Hopefully next time there Apple Pay would work fine.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mubaili wrote: »
    Used Apple Pay in Staples store. So easy. Then went to Trader Joe and noticed they have installed new terminals. Tried Apple Pay, it did go into processing but ultimately declined twice. Had to pull out credit card to pay. So barbaric. The cashier said they just have the new terminal couple of days ago and told me he would bring the issue up to the management. Hopefully next time there Apple Pay would work fine.

It's amazing how the status quo can look so barbaric so quickly when a superior technology comes along.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    It's amazing how the status quo can look so barbaric so quickly when a superior technology comes along.
    Used Apple Pay at my local Home Depot school. The vending machine at my local gym would be the next target. We are near a tipping point for Apple Pay judging by the recent development.