New Apple Watch models with different casing materials expected to launch this fall

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2015
With the Apple Watch set to ship in aluminum, stainless steel and 18-karat gold, Apple could launch as many as three additional casing materials in time for this fall's holiday shopping season, according to well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

In a new research note published by KGI Securities on Wednesday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, Kuo said he expects at least one, but as many as three, new casings to go into production in the fourth quarter of calendar 2015. Those new models, he said, could debut as soon as this fall.

The rumor comes on the heels of a separate report which indicated that Apple experimented with platinum casings for the Apple Watch. Platinum watches can often sell for triple the price of gold ones, which would make such a model even more premium than the $10,000-and-up Apple Watch Edition announced this week.
Popular jewelry materials not found in the current Apple Watch lineup include white gold, platinum, titanium and ceramic.
Kuo gave no indication of what sort of casing materials Apple could have on tap, but he did say that the new options could help boost sales at the end of the year and leading into 2016.

Other materials that Apple could introduce include white gold, titanium, or even ceramic. Less common materials include carbon fiber, rubber, or custom creations from fine watchmakers like Rolex's "Rolesor" and Hublot's "Magic Gold."

Kuo forecasts shipments of between 5 million and 6 million Apple Watch units in the first half of 2015, growing to between 15 million and 20 million units in all of 2015. Those numbers are lower than market consensus of between 20 million and 30 million units for the calendar year.

The analyst said he believes that the Apple Watch will follow trends established by previous first-generation products from Apple, and will "focus on verifying whether the user behavior and business model are right." He expects that shipments could grow significantly starting with the second- or third-generation models.

Last year, Kuo correctly predicted a number of details about the Apple Watch before its unveiling, including the fact that it would come in two sizes and feature 8 gigabytes of internal storage. He also noted at the time that Apple would offer the device in a variety of color and material options, including gold.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 207
    I look forward to reading Walt Mossberg's review.

I predict that he won't be sold on the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 2 of 207
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Titanium could be interesting. White Gold or Platinum is irrelevant to me.
  • Reply 3 of 207
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How much does he pay ye?
  • Reply 4 of 207
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

So you'll look forward to this watch bombing? Why do you waste your time on this forum?
  • Reply 5 of 207
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

When did this epic troll melt of yours start?

I am conservatively estimating 4 billion in revenue from Apple Watch for this year alone. Wrap your head around that number for a minute.

• Reply 7 of 207
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How much does he pay ye?

Unknown to all here.

• Reply 8 of 207
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Come on, why not Tungsten Carbide? A scratch proof watch is what I looked for when I purchased my Movado Dura, and there is a high demand for this material.
  • Reply 9 of 207
    Benjamin, what's the point hanging around an Apple site with 100% negative comments about their products? It's getting really boring.
  • Reply 10 of 207
    You had me at titanium????

Anyone one to take a guess about a price point on that one?

Yes ...I know if I have to ask then I can't afford but, I finally got bigger than that bully in high school and I have a lump some of years of lunch money on the way.
  • Reply 11 of 207
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    I would go out of my way for a titanium variant. I love my titanium Seiko.
  • Reply 12 of 207
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I predict a gold aluminum model to match the iPad, iPhone, and MacBook, as well as a "gold-plated" stainless model that caters to the average person who wears only gold jewelry and accessories, for whom theEdition prices them out of the market.

Though it's hard to imagine this will happen before the 2G model next year. Then again, Apple is getting into fashion which is defined by seasons throughout the year rather than annual upgrades. So perhaps it makes sense -- introduce the new models before graduation, and more options at Christmas.

I have friends with dozens of watches they wear to coordinate with outfits. If the ?Watch becomes an indispensable tool for those kinds of people, there's no reason why they won't want to replace such collections with various styles, gold, silver, black, sport, large, small, etc. Yes the bands make any single watch extremely versatile, but you're still locked into the finish of the watch. At present Apple offers 4 different colors, all of which are duplicated in my friends watch collections to coordinate with other jewelry and outfits.
  • Reply 13 of 207
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

I would go out of my way for a titanium variant. I love my titanium Seiko.

I'd go out of my way, but I still can't afford that :)

• Reply 14 of 207
    There goes the last dream of Liquid Metal stock inverstors
  • Reply 15 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Yes ...I know if I have to ask then I can't afford

Actually, from experience, people who don't ask are people who inherited money, not people who made it.

So you can afford, and still ask.... but you need to understand the value of what you're spending :p

• Reply 16 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Come on, why not Tungsten Carbide? A scratch proof watch is what I looked for when I purchased my Movado Dura, and there is a high demand for this material.

Isn't Tungsten Carbide toxic?

• Reply 17 of 207
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Actually, what I want to see a story on is how Apple's going to appease its "Gold" customers when the next generation watch ships. 

Unlike a traditional watch, this version is going to be "obsolete" within a couple of years as processors, screens, and batteries improve and evolve. What then? Just throw a $17,000 watch in the back of a drawer?

• Reply 18 of 207
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peejaybee View Post

Benjamin, what's the point hanging around an Apple site with 100% negative comments about their products? It's getting really boring.

He's a troll. That's what trolls do.

I've reported his posts occasionally using the built-in post flagging tool for violations to the comment forum's terms of use/code of conduct, but the moderators apparently think those rules do not apply to him (or most others in violation).

• Reply 19 of 207
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Actually, what I want to see a story on is how Apple's going to appease its "Gold" customers when the next generation watch ships. 

Unlike a traditional watch, this version is going to be "obsolete" within a couple of years as processors, screens, and batteries improve and evolve. What then? Just throw a $17,000 watch in the back of a drawer?

There has been some speculation that the entire guts of the watch may be replaceable besides the battery. Maybe you just have the latest hardware swapped in to keep your Edition current.

• Reply 20 of 207
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

He's a troll. That's what trolls do.

I've reported his posts occasionally using the built-in post flagging tool for violations to the comment forum's terms of use/code of conduct, but the moderators apparently think those rules do not apply to him (or most others in violation).

As long as he is not per suing ad hominem attacks there’s not much the moderators can do. Trolls need a home too you know. Best thing to do is block and ignore. Without negative feedback trolls almost always leave of their own accord.

Update:

To be honest I was a big troll when the switch from PPC to Intel happened. I had bought into the hype about the superiority of the RISC vs CISC architecture so when Steve dropped the PPC like a bad girlfriend I became enraged. I had a lot of posts deleted on the Apple forums for claiming the Mac was “just another PC now.” I got over it.