Next-gen iPhone rumored to include Force Touch, possible pink color option

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Maybe this will get rid of the home button! Just press and hold down an area anywhere on the bottom and it will read fingerprint too. Larger screen use that way.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Y'all keep saying that this would require a switch to a flexible display material...I don't believe this is true.
    I think they're using other technology to detect both the time of the press (milliseconds matter, and more milliseconds could mean a harder press, as it does take more milliseconds to push harder) and the surface area of the press (more surface area of a touch means a harder touch).
    The hard glass overlay of all these devices, AppleWatch and iPhone alike, does not allow for the precise deformation needed to detect a so called hard press, therefore a flexible display underlay does not matter for this particular feature.
    If anyone has an argument against anything I just said I honestly want to hear it. I know I might sound cocky in the above post but I'm honestly curious.
    I agree. Those claiming that Force Touch requires a "flexible" display material do not understand that everything is flexible--including diamond. Think of the display as somewhat like a rubber sheet. Press down, the display bends down. However, the press also changes the distance between the base electrode and the display-edge electrode of each force sensor--thus reducing the capacitance of each.

The bottom line is that this does not seem to be a complicated physics problem. It would been to be a sophisticated electrical engineering problem--owing to the sizes of the microelectronic circuit components involved.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple Inside Her View Post

Maybe this will get rid of the home button! Just press and hold down an area anywhere on the bottom and it will read fingerprint too. Larger screen use that way.

I'm not in favor of getting rid of the Home Button, but will reserve judgment to see how the combination of Force Touch and Taptic Engine work together. It may be possible that Apple can simulate a tactile button significantly enough to warrant removal of the Home Button.

• Reply 44 of 47
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Those claiming that Force Touch requires a "flexible" display material do not understand that everything is flexible

Those claiming that Force Touch requires a flexible display don't have the first clue about what Force Touch is, or how it works. They look at Apple's examples and literally believe the screen is supposed to dimple when touched.

There are a lot of people that shouldn't be allowed to comment, for reasons of public sanitation.

• Reply 45 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I hate safe rumors like these that state the obvious.

Where were these rumors pre ?Watch?
    That's right no one thought of them yet.

Pink iPhone? I'm hoping this means 4" iPhone 6c :D
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Apple should consider the color: Rust/Copper as an additional color! Pink is too narrow a color!