New Apple Watch models with different casing materials expected to launch this fall

Comments

• Reply 21 of 207
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ahmlco wrote: »
    Actually, what I want to see a story on is how Apple's going to appease its "Gold" customers when the next generation watch ships. 

Unlike a traditional watch, this version is going to be "obsolete" within a couple of years as processors, screens, and batteries improve and evolve. What then? Just throw a $17,000 watch in the back of a drawer?

People who have $17,000 to blow on a watch, won't care.
  • Reply 22 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

As long as he is not per suing ad hominem attacks there’s not much the moderators can do. Trolls need a home too you know. Best thing to do is block and ignore. Without negative feedback trolls almost always leave of their own accord.

It also keeps the post count up.

• Reply 23 of 207
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    lkrupp wrote: »

There has been some speculation that the entire guts of the watch may be replaceable besides the battery. Maybe you just have the latest hardware swapped in to keep your Edition current.
    Highly unlikely. That means if Apple changes the design from year to year, they will have to manufacture twice as many internals. And where do you draw the line? Will Apple continue to make and sell upgrades for 1G watches at 3G, 4G? Or do they update the watches forever? It would be the only Apple product ever to have such an upgrade path.
  • Reply 24 of 207
    "You had me at titanium?

Anyone one to take a guess about a price point on that one?

Yes ...I know if I have to ask then I can't afford but, I finally got bigger than that bully in high school and I have a lump some of years of lunch money on the way."

Shouldn't really be any more than steel - the material cost of the steel watch case must be a tiny percentage of the production cost.

Also, I wonder what the selling point would be? A harder 'sport' I guess. (not much heavier than aluminium)
  • Reply 25 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Actually, what I want to see a story on is how Apple's going to appease its "Gold" customers when the next generation watch ships. 

Unlike a traditional watch, this version is going to be "obsolete" within a couple of years as processors, screens, and batteries improve and evolve. What then? Just throw a $17,000 watch in the back of a drawer?

What is going to be obsolete?

-The screen has the highest PPI on the market, and well within retina range. People won't be holding the watch that close to their eyeballs.  300+ PPI is fantastic.

-Battery has been confirmed to be replaceable.  

-Processor means very little.  The watch relies on the iPhone for heavy lifting.  You aren't going to see considerable speed bumps that warrant upgrading.  

People think of Apple Watch as a computer.  It is much more of a display, where the iPhone is your computer.  No one buys computer monitors every 2 years.  

• Reply 26 of 207
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Highly unlikely. That means if Apple changes the design from year to year, they will have to manufacture twice as many internals. And where do you draw the line? Will Apple continue to make and sell upgrades for 1G watches at 3G, 4G? Or do they update the watches forever? It would be the only Apple product ever to have such an upgrade path.

Or maybe they just do this for Edition owners only.

• Reply 27 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

This is an absolutely new game for Apple. We'll just have to sit back and see how it unravels.

• Reply 28 of 207
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Does the watch magically stop working after each "evolution" of the watch? My 4S kept working after the 5, 5S, and 6 were released.
  • Reply 29 of 207
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I don't know. Why not ask Vertu owners what they do with their ($10,000 - $500,000) phones when they become obsolete? There's pretty clearly a market there for luxury tech goods.
  • Reply 30 of 207
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Does the watch magically stop working after each "evolution" of the watch? My 4S kept working after the 5, 5S, and 6 were released.

Wow, you know I saw the very same thing with my 2002 MBP? I thought I was just special.....

Now that there will be superior alternatives offered in the future is a given, but those superior alternatives won't reach out and kill the older hardware in some orgy of Darwinism.

• Reply 31 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

LOL. As that is never going to be my problem I could not care less. no more would I obsess over what some one will do with their 44 room NYC Manhattan apartment to keep it neat and tidy.

Car manufacturers roll out improved/evolved models every year and I've never seen or heard any mention of 'appeasing" previous buyers: and just about every car sold has sticker prices that are multiples of the Apple Watch Edition.

• Reply 32 of 207
    I'm waiting for the anodized flubber %uF8FFWatch.
  • Reply 33 of 207
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    lkrupp wrote: »

As long as he is not per suing ad hominem attacks there’s not much the moderators can do. Trolls need a home too you know. Best thing to do is block and ignore. Without negative feedback trolls almost always leave of their own accord.

Update:

To be honest I was a big troll when the switch from PPC to Intel happened. I had bought into the hype about the superiority of the RISC vs CISC architecture so when Steve dropped the PPC like a bad girlfriend I became enraged. I had a lot of posts deleted on the Apple forums for claiming the Mac was “just another PC now.” I got over it.

"Without negative feedback trolls almost always leave of their own accord." There are psycho-trolls, who do it out of contrarian disposition and who might go away, like you say.

And there are paid trolls, who do it for money. Frost is one of these latter prostitutes, in my opinion. He won't go away unless he is banned. Here he is panting for Walt Mossberg's death blow to the Watch. He should be banned, even if the rules have to be changed to ban him.
  • Reply 34 of 207
    Titanium Breitling, Titanium Citizen, Titanium Apple Watch...
  • Reply 35 of 207

In addition to the flubber casing, I'm hoping for an Apple Watch case made from recycled Ford Pinto bumpers.

• Reply 36 of 207
    It'd be great to see what the watch looks like with different casings. It's not going to stop me from getting my 42mm SS with Milanese Loop on April 24, but it's fun to think about. I'm guessing the new versions will be:
    Liquid metal
    White ceramic
    Titanium (possibly white gold instead, since titanium seems to be a resource that is not just limited, but has many practical and industrial uses).
  • Reply 37 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Isn't Tungsten Carbide toxic?

The dust is when ingested but that's a manufacturing issue not for a user of the finished piece.

• Reply 38 of 207
    mgzmgz Posts: 26member
    Apple's gold is equivalent to Hublot's Magic Gold (i.e. they're both 18k gold made from gold and ceramic). http://daringfireball.net/linked/2015/03/07/apple-gold
  • Reply 39 of 207
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

just like all the other old farts.

Watch is for the young, hip, and modern.

Its for new money.  

Old farts have money.

• Reply 40 of 207
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Apparently not...

Isn't Tungsten Carbide toxic?