Booming retail sales enable Apple to negotiate low rent prices at malls

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It's called Daylight Savings Time. It's the other clocks you need to re-set, not your iPhone....

Its an Android geek trolling , cmon get a grip dude!

• Reply 22 of 45
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    A few things:

1) i think we should expect the sales per square foot to be high at Apple stores simply because most of what they sell is so expensive; therefore, the rent per sales percentage will be low.

2) I doubt if stores are paying a percentage of sales for rent. I read this artIcal's main content elsewhere, and there were no sources named. Further, I think the wording is highly misleading, suggesting that rent is based on a percentage of sales, instead of just stating that Apple stores pay a lower percentage of rent per sales (probably because the cost of their goods is so high).

3) If Apple is able to cut any type of rent reduction because of who they are, this just shows what is potentially wrong with our system…Apple can well afford to pay whatever the rent may be, whereas other retailers may be struggling. As they can well-afford it, they should not get a discount at the expense of increased rent of others.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    That's absolutely insane. Apple should get into owning more of their own retail properties, including mall spaces.

How do you suppose they accomplish that?

The article claims that Apple gets favorable rent prices because of the increased foot traffic, but how does increased foot traffic directly benefit the property owner?
  • Reply 24 of 45
    3.5 billion devided by 450 locations is almost 8 milion per location. Doesn't look cheap to me. Especially if the 3.5 billion is for à quarter instead of à year.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    3.5 billion in à year or à quarter? Devide this amount by the 450 shops and you get nearly 8 milion per shop per year / quarter?
    Doesn't look cheap to me
  • Reply 26 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How do you suppose they accomplish that?

The article claims that Apple gets favorable rent prices because of the increased foot traffic, but how does increased foot traffic directly benefit the property owner?

The property owner benefits by having a renter. Why anyone thinks they deserve anything beyond that is irrational.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Apple Stores are the new anchor stores. And yes mall tenants give a cut of their sales to the landlord. Just like iBooks, iTunes and the App Store.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    TL;DR

Forgive me if someone else posted this:

If I were a merchant in a mall with an Apple Store which accepts Apple Pay -- I'd be damn sure that everyone knew that I accept Apple Pay, too ///
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm not talking about buying the space, I'm talking about buying the whole mall.

There's a company that thought like that... McDonald's. A huge portion of their profit comes from leasing the land the restaurant stands on to franchisors. At points in time, they've made more money on real estate than selling burgers.

• Reply 30 of 45
    The property owner benefits by having a renter. Why anyone thinks they deserve anything beyond that is irrational.

If it's not one renter it's another. I have yet to see a mall with empty spaces. If a store closes it's immediately filled by another one.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    I used to operate stores in several malls (not anchors). Rent was ALWAYS based on a base rent AND a percentage of sales,that had to be reported to the mall management, and they had the right to audit my reported sales numbers. This is very common practice.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    davidness wrote: »
    I used to operate stores in several malls (not anchors). Rent was ALWAYS based on a base rent AND a percentage of sales,that had to be reported to the mall management, and they had the right to audit my reported sales numbers. This is very common practice.

Seems like the recorded number of sales could easily be misreported by a store owner.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    There's no way that could be correct. Source?
    It's true. It's called "percentage rent."
    I had to pay a percentage of my sales to the landlord, in addition to my monthly lease, when I had a store in a swanky SoCal mall. Ironically, when considering moving my store at the end of my lease, I was able to negotiate an end to the percentage rent in order for the landlord to keep me as a tenant.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    It's true. It's called "percentage rent."
    I had to pay a percentage of my sales to the landlord, in addition to my monthly lease, when I had a store in a swanky SoCal mall. Ironically, when considering moving my store at the end of my lease, I was able to negotiate an end to the percentage rent in order for the landlord to keep me as a tenant.

It's an outrageous standard for that industry then. A practice that is intrusive and deceptive in my opinion.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    It's an outrageous standard for that industry then. A practice that is intrusive and deceptive in my opinion.

How is it different from Apple’s app store?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Seems like the recorded number of sales could easily be misreported by a store owner.

Seems like they'd have to lie on their sales taxes as well then (and be prosecuted for tax evasion.)

• Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:

It's amazing. Your posts seem to alternate between the ravings of a five year-old  and an 85-year old.

You may need to get out and see more of the world. ;-)

Do you really think Apple would enter into a deal they didn't want?

• Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

There's a company that thought like that... McDonald's. A huge portion of their profit comes from leasing the land the restaurant stands on to franchisors. At points in time, they've made more money on real estate than selling burgers.

McDonalds is a classic B-school case study.

• Reply 39 of 45
    It's called Daylight Savings Time. It's the other clocks you need to re-set, not your iPhone....
    You have got to be one of the smartest people around here - I said I already checked all settings, that includes making sure that it is the iPhone that is not displaying the correct time. Anyway that problem was solved on its own within 20 minutes after I noticed it, and given that the Apple forum page was not loading at exactly the same time it must have been a server problem, and it was today on the news too.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Its an Android geek trolling , cmon get a grip dude!
    I've had all the iPhones including the first one ever released within 2 weeks of release.
    You only wish to have had as many iPhones as I had.