Apple issues apology as iTunes & App Store outage persists for 7+ hours

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    I am mildly concerned that the length of time this is taking to remedy, still ongoing, is because the issue was from external intrusion. If it was some planned change, I cannot imagine it is not tested on offline systems, nor would it have launched just before the start of the day. And if some error was introduced by Apple, they should have the ability to roll back very quickly.

It is smelling a little odd at this stage, though I hope my speculation is completely misguided.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    Reason number 487,274 why I will never trust "cloud" computing.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    You mean Tim Cook? He should be replaced forthwith, or at least go back to his COO position.

Yea dammit! Tim Cook is destroying Apple by surpassing Same-song in overall worldwide sales of smartphones! Cook is an idiot! He's such a moron that he spilt the stock, pays a record dividend, and built Apple into the most valuable company and brand in the world!

What a dunce! ????
  • Reply 44 of 83
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Google has more outages than Apple, they're just not usually this long.

Google seems to have more frequent outages, just shorter and that they only affect a subset of accounts. That's how modern distributed systems are designed. Apple hasn't gotten the memo.

• Reply 45 of 83
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Hey Apple. Planning on reimbursing us app developers for your incompetence and a day of last sales?

• Reply 46 of 83
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Hey Apple. Planning on reimbursing us app developers for your incompetence and a day of last sales?

When you create an App Store account, do you accept a Terms of Service agreement that includes a clause about not being allowed to indemnify Apple for lost revenue due to service outages?

• Reply 47 of 83
    U better frickin fix this rite now bcuz I need it do accomplish life.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Here I was just about to call apple since i can not download any new apps since it keeps asking me to sign in an then saying it can not access itunes, got figure I can now come to AI to find out issues that apple is having internally.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

When you create an App Store account, do you accept a Terms of Service agreement that includes a clause about not being allowed to indemnify Apple for lost revenue due to service outages?

From the Apple Developer User Agreement.

Quote:

Apple shall not be responsible for any costs, expenses, damages, losses (including without limitation lost business opportunities or lost profits) or other liabilities You may incur as a result of Your Application development, use of this Apple Software, use of any services, certificates or APIs provided hereunder, or participation in the Program...

• Reply 50 of 83
    **** u Apple all my stuff is Apple and now I cant fuckin use it for 3 more hrs?
  • Reply 51 of 83
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    So... Is that the CIA approved Xcode build I saw in the update section of the app Store today?...

The error message I received "frostycup1" seemed like something I'd see on a compromised windows machine. Never a Mac.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From the Apple Developer User Agreement.

Agreements will attempt to restrict liability for everything, but courts frequently find these clauses invalid, especially in cases of gross negligence and willful misconduct. State laws also limit what agreements can waive. This is why you have to go to school for three years and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to be fully qualified to read contracts.

• Reply 53 of 83

Appears to be back up. Logged in an downloading now.

• Reply 54 of 83
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    You mean Tim Cook? He should be replaced forthwith, or at least go back to his COO position.

So the man who has guided Apple to be the most valuable company in history is supposed to be replaced because of an unforeseen data center issue? You are sounding like one of those guys who dumped their Apple stock too soon.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    DNS has back up, and entries are saved... usually. I don't see why it should take so long.

Compared to other computer companies, this interruption is very long and pretty unacceptable, especially for mail.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

To have all stores brought down by a DNS error represents an unacceptable "single point of failure" in their architecture. Let's hope they learn from this and refactor their stores so there's less dependency on a single system. Cloud-based systems are called "cloud" because they are meant to be mini-internets... fairly resilient to technical problems. That wasn't the case here.

• Reply 57 of 83
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    thrang wrote: »
    I am mildly concerned that the length of time this is taking to remedy, still ongoing, is because the issue was from external intrusion. If it was some planned change, I cannot imagine it is not tested on offline systems, nor would it have launched just before the start of the day. And if some error was introduced by Apple, they should have the ability to roll back very quickly.

It is smelling a little odd at this stage, though I hope my speculation is completely misguided.

I am having the same feeling. Especially since it's now just dealing with authentication in transactions that are linked to the AppleID's payment account. It could be an account breach. I hope they detected it before customer data was lost and are just trying to figure out how to close the holes.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The outage affects the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, App Store, and Mac App Store. Users are unable to buy apps or other content, and in some cases are prevented from downloading updates and even opening already-purchased apps.

That is just all kinds of bullshit.  Mobile app devs that actively link back to the Apple domain before their apps will open should be publicly shamed.

• Reply 59 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

To have all stores brought down by a DNS error represents an unacceptable "single point of failure" in their architecture. 

The issues appeared to be related to verifying the AppleID. The stores were up, you just couldn't buy anything because you could not authenticate, which is the single point of failure. It didn't affect the developer log in though.

• Reply 60 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That is just all kinds of bullshit.  Mobile app devs that actively link back to the Apple domain before their apps will open should be publicly shamed.

I'm not sure what you are referring to but to my knowledge this was not the case. The dev site was unaffected. In addition, at least I, was able to re-download to a new machine previously purchased apps without problem during the outage.