DODOcase, Twelve South join rush to announce Apple Watch stands

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2015
Two more Apple accessory makers have each announced third-party stands for the Apple Watch: DODOcase this week unveiled the Charging Stand, while Twelve South is developing the HiRise.

DODOcase Charging Stand

The Charging Stand is a luxury item, handcrafted out of California orchard walnut. As with the Griffin WatchStand, to supply power, owners have to thread the charging cable bundled with the Apple Watch into carved grooves.

The weighted base is made of solid steel, and a special travel mode is said to allow carrying the cable and charger in a convenient package.

The stand can currently be preordered for $70, with optional leather monogramming. The first 100 units will also be numbered. DODOcase expects the product ship five to six weeks after the Apple Watch launches on April 24.

Twelve South HiRise

The HiRise again requires Apple's charging cable, but tilts the Watch at a steeper angle than other stands for easier viewing and interaction. The top band of the Watch rests over a silicone pad, while the bottom band angles through a notch and rests on a leather pad that conceals cabling underneath.

Supporting everything is a wide metal base that uses a hidden rubber layer to prevent slippage.

The HiRise should ship in May at a price of $50. Twelve South isn't taking preorders, but is signing up people to be notified when the product is ready. Black and silver versions will be available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Time to head for the woodshop...

• Reply 2 of 12
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    I can't remember what it was, but the one AppleInsider showed while covering the event on Monday looked so good. It was like a iPhone / ?watch duo charger. Looked fantastic. I love the Hi-Rise though.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

I can't remember what it was, but the one AppleInsider showed while covering the event on Monday looked so good. It was like a iPhone / ?watch duo charger. Looked fantastic. I love the Hi-Rise though.

Griffin announced one that holds both the watch and iPhone.

• Reply 4 of 12
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    rmb0037 wrote: »

I saw that too. It was a publicity flyer someone handed DED advertising a kickstarter campaign, but I've looked for it a couple times and haven't found it.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

The DODO Charging Stand is something I can imagine putting on my bedside table.

Are there any Alarm Clock apps for the watch already? The Rise Alarm Clock is my personal favourite for the iPhone.

• Reply 6 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

The DODO Charging Stand is something I can imagine putting on my bedside table.

I agree. I have already decided the charging stand goes bedside. No reason to plug the watch into my mac. There is an advantage of plugging my iPhone into my mac though, so its cable lives there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Are there any Alarm Clock apps for the watch already? The Rise Alarm Clock is my personal favourite for the iPhone.

I can see Siri becoming my new alarm clock. IIRC from Kevin Lynch's demo, it works like "hey Siri" with no hands. "Siri, alarm off." "Siri, snooze 10 minutes."

Kinda sad, actually...my current alarm clock is 30 years old. Nostalgia.

• Reply 7 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I find it bizarre that Apple hasn't also rolled out their own recharging stand for their watch. There's room for everyone (including all these third party companies), so why not make something really nice that could be sold at time of purchase along with the watch?

• Reply 8 of 12
    leshikleshik Posts: 6member
    If you splurge on the 'edition' it does come with a charging case.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member

In my Jony Ive voice ... *ahem*

Walnut ... is naturally heavy, hard and resilient. It's the perfect match for the new DODOcase Charging Stand for the Apple Watch. Our engineers have grown custom, organic Walnut trees. They are 60% stronger than regular walnut, but just as heavy. This requires ... meticulous attention to soil pH and moisture levels, while simultaneously requiring precision harvesting to ensure the maximum purity of the walnut. Raw walnut wood is then blanketed with tightly-controlled amounts of thermally-accurate air and light to maintain the perfect balance of texture, weight, and density. Next, a finely-tuned extrusion process creates a uniform surface ... free of defects. After being meticulously formed by hand, each stand is sanded ... stained ... waxed ... and then buffed with microscopic cotton/silk hybrid fabric of our own design ... to achieve a consistent ... smooth finish. We believe this Walnut wood sets a new standard ... both in the way it performs ... and in the way it looks.

• Reply 10 of 12
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    eightzero wrote: »

I can see Siri becoming my new alarm clock. IIRC from Kevin Lynch's demo, it works like "hey Siri" with no hands. "Siri, alarm off." "Siri, snooze 10 minutes."

Kinda sad, actually...my current alarm clock is 30 years old. Nostalgia.

You realize that the iPhone can already do that, right? I say "Hey Siri wake me up at 7 in the morning" every night just before I fall asleep. My iPhone sits in an Everdock Duo : http://fuzdesigns.com/products/everdock-duo

Speaking of which I hope Fuz makes an Apple Watch stand... I would love one that matches the Everdock...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by duervo View Post

Walnut ... is naturally heavy, hard and resilient. It's the perfect match for the new DODOcase Charging Stand for the Apple Watch. Our engineers have grown custom, organic Walnut trees. They are 60% stronger than regular walnut, but just as heavy. This requires ... meticulous attention to soil pH and moisture levels, while simultaneously requiring precision harvesting to ensure the maximum purity of the walnut. Raw walnut wood is then blanketed with tightly-controlled amounts of thermally-accurate air and light to maintain the perfect balance of texture, weight, and density. Next, a finely-tuned extrusion process creates a uniform surface ... free of defects. After being meticulously formed by hand, each stand is sanded ... stained ... waxed ... and then buffed with microscopic cotton/silk hybrid fabric of our own design ... to achieve a consistent ... smooth finish. We believe this Walnut wood sets a new standard ... both in the way it performs ... and in the way it looks.

Apple would have really been thinking ahead many, many years ago to get them tree's all planted someplace yet hidden all this time, ready to be made into watch stands now!!!  I'd be impressed with that.   How long does it take a tree to grow before ready to harvest?  Talking about the greatest kept secret ever.  Limited wood, so these would have to be $5000 watch stands, but hey, the charging stuff it already installed for you.

• Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by duervo View Post

Classic!